Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7400 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7400

RTTY(350Hz)
AM(6kHz)
FM(15kHz)

More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/ham/products/ic-7400/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7400.

G4UNB Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 10:38 Send this review to a friend
great mid priced radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my 7400 since august 09, I really like the radio, and enjoy the 32 bit DSP filtering on it.
its a pleasure to use and to own, however the only caveat i wish to draw attention to, is that i also own two kenwood radios, a ts940sat, and a ts 950sd,(check out my reviews on these also) BOTH kenwoods have a superiour auto internal ATU in them. That being said, there are no perfect radios, each has its strengths and drawbacks. In the 7400 the auto notch filter is a real boon to use....filtering out with consummate ease those annoying on freq tune up-ers, one push of the button and ..hey presto! they're gone! Mine is a seven digit serial number, so hopefully wont suffer from some of the earlier model failures, which we're all familiar with having read the stories. Should i in the future fall foul of any failure...i will of course update my experience with the radio, but for now...i am fully satisfied with mine, one tip for the new comer to the 7400, dont expect the VHF receiver to be too sensitive without the pre-amp switched in, but with the pre-amp in line its perfectly acceptable. Also the 'band stacking' system on the 7400 is a very useful feature, and one which i certainly use on a regular basis...how good it is to have features that are really useful rather than some 'belles and whistles' we see on more expensive rigs but are rarely if ever needed or used! As a CW operator myself i can confirm to any other ham who is wondering if the 7400 is a good CW rig, The filtering system is extremely good for the discerning CW operator. For those who prefer to use phone, The SM20 desk mic is a good compliment to the radio, but dont be too concerned about the standard fist mic the radio comes with...its very well made and gives very good audio results too. So we have one rig....HF/6/2 on board,all with a full 100 watts output, nice aesthetically, and which performs very well indeed, thats why i rate it a 5/5, perfection never comes in anything in life, but this is quite close in my humble opinion.
73 to all who read this!
David...G4UNB

NL9849 Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver - transmitter??  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is about the receiver bit only, since I am a SWL, not a licenced ham. This transceiver is very easy to convert to a receiver only by disabling the PA-stage.

The receiver is excellent in just about every way and even on VHF it is quite good (I have the cristal oven installed, but if you use it for receive only this is not really necessary).

The transmitter does seem to have some reliability issues, although most should have been dealt with in the later versions. Since I am not using the transmitter these problems do not worry me. The only issue with te receiver is the possibility of a failing backlight caused by overheating of a transistor. To prevent this I have done two things:

1- I keep the display brightness at 100% to stress the transistor in question as little as possible (this should be enough to prevent failure);
2- To be absolutely sure I have modified the internal fan to run constantly, not just on transmit. I run it at 6 volts so it runs very quiet but still produces enough airflow to keep the insides cool (the fan is just behind the backlight driver that has this tendency to run hot so this is a perfect way to prevent a 'meltdown').

The display is very nice with big digits and a lot of information. The bandscope is not very usefull but that is not a real issue to me. What i do like on the other hand is the trebble and bass adjustments (even on transmit) whitch allow for a very full and rich audio quality. I think this is one of the strongest assets of this rig. The audio is just superb!

This is an awesome receiver and the in-depth technical review by Bjarne on "kongsfjord.no" confirms this.

Despite the display issue I still give it a 5/5, but I do think that ICOM should have dealt with that problem in the first place.

G4RNI Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2008 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Super RX, 1 or 2 dislikes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No doubt about it, the 7400 has a phenomenal receiver. Once you get the hang of the digital IF filtering, tailor the TX and RX audio to suit, it's outstanding!
The BUT is, WHY do makers make the RF power control & mic gain so awkward? Tiny little controls! At least the RF power isn't buried in a menu like the FT-950 I despised after one day for that very reason but a proper control here and mic gain the same and I'd give it FIVE!

ON4WIY Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2008 03:59 Send this review to a friend
LOOKING GOOD THAT'S ALL !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 2 years and yes big trouble!
After 2 weeks backlight failed,replaced it and after one month the same problem.
Worked verry well but after 6 months predrivers qrt max 10w out,returned it to the shop to repair under warranty tooks 6 months to repair ??? and 3 weeks later the same problem, icom refused to repair it again under warranty so the only thing i could do send it back and pay it by myself about Ä600!!! fantastic service so i never buy icom again and goes back to yaesu never had troubles and great service!!!
Icom know the problem of backlight, overheating, predrivers .... even in there new models but do nothing about it, it's a shame they just tread us as betatesters!!!
Good dx'73 ON4WIY WIM.

DK8EY Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2008 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Great, ...but backlight...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my IC-7400 since October 2006, means 20 month. Serial# >30500. I'm very pleased with it, no doubt. My 7400 runs every day, and has run, including contests, more than 15.000 QSO in SSB, CW and RTTY. The DSP implementation, in my opinion, is the best of all current TRX. Even newer, such as FT-950, FT-2000, etc.

Very often I do an A-B comparison the with my still installed Drake-C-line with Sherwood filters or a TS-940 with filters in both IF. Sorry to say, DSP-filters of the 7400 are not to beat.

So far, my sample is reliable. Except the well known backlight issue. It died after a lot of operating hours and 18 month usage. I changed the defective and hopeless underrated 1201-transistor (2 watt) with a BD810 (90W). The repair took me 90 minutes. The backlight setting was always at 30%.

The backlight issue exists since 1997, when the IC-746 was launched. Obviously even modern IC-746pro/7400 still have the same problem. Over 12 years! It's not to understand, that ICOM isnít recognizing the issue. Bad customer relationship, dear ICOM.

DK8EY, Christoph from Mettmann, Germany

G0KYA Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2008 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Great radio - Icom need to work on reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have previously rated the Icom 7400 as brilliant. I still think it is a great radio, but my backlight failed within a year of owning it and Icom have now had it for six weeks for repair with no sign of it returning just yet!

This is not good enough. I am using my Icom 7000 as back-up, but Yaesu is looking more and more attractive again.

G7MIW Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2007 00:48 Send this review to a friend
All Heil Icom !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK you don't need another review of this radio to see that those who own them love them. Mine, the only modification is the addition of a Heil GM5 microphone. The results were more than satisfactory.

VK5FDMR Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Well priced, great performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I have had the use of the Icom 7400 a few months back whilst my friend went on a holiday and I have to say that it is one excellent little radio. I found the menu system to be easy to understand and work out and all major functions are easy to adjust. Recovered audio is excellent. The DSP is excellent and is very easy to use. Tailoring the TX audio is a breeze and once adjusted I was getting great audio reports. The radio performed faultlessly on all bands. A great performer on 10m and 15m with many stations worked in the US and EU and all with great audio reports. I did also try the radio on 2m and wow it works a dream. It has excellent Rx and is easy to use. The screen is easy to read and well set out. If I had the money I would definitely purchase one. Another great radio from Icom.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR

G7KTM Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2007 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok i just had to add a review of the Ic-7400. Now i have a mint as brand new TS870s which was the best radio i have had to date. lovely kenwood sound and audio. but The IC-7400 can hear and remove alot more with its filters and DSP than the kenwood can. 144-145 also works very well, having had an FT-847 some 6 months ago this 7400 is better than the earth sation on 144-145. so far i cant fault this 7400. It has very good audio out and some very good audio reports back on TX. I found the controls easy and seting it up for personal prefrence was also straight forward. easy menu's and once you have been round them a few times it becomes 2nd nature. I cant see me needing anything else, but there again i said that about the TS870s when i got it! the 7400 is a great Radio and now in the 2nd hand market for decent price's! grab one if you can.

G1MQQ Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2007 08:16 Send this review to a friend
niggling problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Started having niggling problems after two and half years.
Audio output from rear jack disappeared. Not the end of the world. Dealer fixed it but took 3 hours and 150 mile round trip.
Display doesn't always illuminate first time.
Control interface now gone down (must be rig because 706MkII still fine and using same interface cable and HRD)