Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7400 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7400

RTTY(350Hz)
AM(6kHz)
FM(15kHz)

More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/ham/products/ic-7400/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7400.

ON4WIY Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2008 03:59 Send this review to a friend
LOOKING GOOD THAT'S ALL !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 2 years and yes big trouble!
After 2 weeks backlight failed,replaced it and after one month the same problem.
Worked verry well but after 6 months predrivers qrt max 10w out,returned it to the shop to repair under warranty tooks 6 months to repair ??? and 3 weeks later the same problem, icom refused to repair it again under warranty so the only thing i could do send it back and pay it by myself about Ä600!!! fantastic service so i never buy icom again and goes back to yaesu never had troubles and great service!!!
Icom know the problem of backlight, overheating, predrivers .... even in there new models but do nothing about it, it's a shame they just tread us as betatesters!!!
Good dx'73 ON4WIY WIM.

DK8EY Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2008 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Great, ...but backlight...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my IC-7400 since October 2006, means 20 month. Serial# >30500. I'm very pleased with it, no doubt. My 7400 runs every day, and has run, including contests, more than 15.000 QSO in SSB, CW and RTTY. The DSP implementation, in my opinion, is the best of all current TRX. Even newer, such as FT-950, FT-2000, etc.

Very often I do an A-B comparison the with my still installed Drake-C-line with Sherwood filters or a TS-940 with filters in both IF. Sorry to say, DSP-filters of the 7400 are not to beat.

So far, my sample is reliable. Except the well known backlight issue. It died after a lot of operating hours and 18 month usage. I changed the defective and hopeless underrated 1201-transistor (2 watt) with a BD810 (90W). The repair took me 90 minutes. The backlight setting was always at 30%.

The backlight issue exists since 1997, when the IC-746 was launched. Obviously even modern IC-746pro/7400 still have the same problem. Over 12 years! It's not to understand, that ICOM isnít recognizing the issue. Bad customer relationship, dear ICOM.

DK8EY, Christoph from Mettmann, Germany

G0KYA Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2008 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Great radio - Icom need to work on reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have previously rated the Icom 7400 as brilliant. I still think it is a great radio, but my backlight failed within a year of owning it and Icom have now had it for six weeks for repair with no sign of it returning just yet!

This is not good enough. I am using my Icom 7000 as back-up, but Yaesu is looking more and more attractive again.

G7MIW Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2007 00:48 Send this review to a friend
All Heil Icom !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK you don't need another review of this radio to see that those who own them love them. Mine, the only modification is the addition of a Heil GM5 microphone. The results were more than satisfactory.

VK5FDMR Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Well priced, great performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I have had the use of the Icom 7400 a few months back whilst my friend went on a holiday and I have to say that it is one excellent little radio. I found the menu system to be easy to understand and work out and all major functions are easy to adjust. Recovered audio is excellent. The DSP is excellent and is very easy to use. Tailoring the TX audio is a breeze and once adjusted I was getting great audio reports. The radio performed faultlessly on all bands. A great performer on 10m and 15m with many stations worked in the US and EU and all with great audio reports. I did also try the radio on 2m and wow it works a dream. It has excellent Rx and is easy to use. The screen is easy to read and well set out. If I had the money I would definitely purchase one. Another great radio from Icom.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR

G7KTM Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2007 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok i just had to add a review of the Ic-7400. Now i have a mint as brand new TS870s which was the best radio i have had to date. lovely kenwood sound and audio. but The IC-7400 can hear and remove alot more with its filters and DSP than the kenwood can. 144-145 also works very well, having had an FT-847 some 6 months ago this 7400 is better than the earth sation on 144-145. so far i cant fault this 7400. It has very good audio out and some very good audio reports back on TX. I found the controls easy and seting it up for personal prefrence was also straight forward. easy menu's and once you have been round them a few times it becomes 2nd nature. I cant see me needing anything else, but there again i said that about the TS870s when i got it! the 7400 is a great Radio and now in the 2nd hand market for decent price's! grab one if you can.

G1MQQ Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2007 08:16 Send this review to a friend
niggling problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Started having niggling problems after two and half years.
Audio output from rear jack disappeared. Not the end of the world. Dealer fixed it but took 3 hours and 150 mile round trip.
Display doesn't always illuminate first time.
Control interface now gone down (must be rig because 706MkII still fine and using same interface cable and HRD)

SV1EEX Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My primary qth was cursed with vy high qrn from nearby electrical lines.Couldn't get on the air unless the rain washed up the insulators at the local power transformers.

My previous rigs were all yaesus (FT-857/897) and couldn't beat down the qrn in general terms even with the use of mfj noise canceller. I decided to give a test with a friend's ic-7400. I couldn't believe my ears that the qrn was defeated by the IF-DSP and I began to hear stations that wouldn't even exist on the 897 f.i.

When I switched the rigs on the same antenna I got the feeling that the dsp equipped on my previous rigs was nothing more than a contribution to a bad joke.

The audio reports for this excellent rig are vy pleasing and with a plethorae of filtering options IMHO.

The only con I have already met is the crystal stability in digital modes but the cure is simple and inexpensive too. Just look for the cotton wool mod.

Haven't tested yet 2m in depth but had a couple of distant ssb qso's with ease and without bothering to apply the internal pre-amp.

Compared to a 756 pro II that I had the chance to put aside on the same antenna and on non-volative propagation conditions( as far as the audio quality is concerned) the result seemed identical both in rx and tx and without any doubt some reports pointed the 7400 as winner.

If you plan to work cw on contest mode also a nice surprize awaits you in the keyer menus with the internal "keyer".

I believe that the rig deserves every euro/$$ you pay for and offers performance that others pay much more to obtain.

M3OML Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2006 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Best HF set owned VHF could use some help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all I have been using IC-7400 for about a month now very good radio on HF and vhf TX however RX on vhf is not very sensitive not the end of the world The DSP is the Best i have used and am enjoying the radio.

Would buy again hovever budget for a 2meter masthead preamp

M0FRH Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2006 02:36 Send this review to a friend
Very pleaesed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had my Icom IC-7400 for a month and very pleased with it. Nice to have controls you can see and not hidden in menus, my last set was a FT100D. Receving good reports on transmitted audio both on 2 mtrs FM and HF ssb. DSP works well on clearing up incoming QRM and QRN. Looking forward to using in 80 mtr SSB club championship comp next year. 73s