Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna
Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$30
Description: 144/430 Mhz HT antenna with SMA connector
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna.

KJ6ZH Rating: 1/5 Mar 14, 2017 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Fragile, poor design  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have gone through 2 of these for my Yaesu VX-2. There is no strain relief where the antenna attaches to the base connector and the wire part of the antenna pulls out with flexing and normal use thus exposing the copper. The wire strands then break causing the antenna to lean over and ultimately it will break off. Will try to add epoxy or silicone adhesive to reinforce this interface but this piece of junk costs too much at any price let alone $30.

K9OBX Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2016 13:58 Send this review to a friend
great replacement antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna from HRO and when it arived I immediately began testing it on my Kenwood TH-D72A, against the stock rubber duck. It does better than the Kenwwod stock antenna on receive by 1 s-unit. On Tx I can't say for sure how well it does as the stock Kenwood duck is pretty good from the factory. I can't wait to put it through it's paces with my TH-D72A.

I would buy it again.

KC8RZO Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 07:53 Send this review to a friend
So far so great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna for almost 12 years now, since autumn of 2001. It was fantastic at the time, as a difficult to find SMA connector upgrade for the rather poor duck on my old HTX-245. There are probably many more options today.

It has NOT been well treated but has taken the abuse it's been given. And frankly it has been abused. I'm sorry to see some folks have broken theirs from falls. I've dropped this tons of times and it's still going strong. The text on it has worn off, the whip has a bend now, the connector is still in good shape though. Still gets very very good reception and TX for local repeater work and the occasional hookup in the car to the larger diamond I have.

I use a fair amount of 70cm and this has been the best 70cm I've tried. I have since found a few other antennas that give similar or slightly better 2m results, but at the cost of replacement isn't worth it for my aged HTX.

An excellent buy that I am very happy with still.

KJ4EBE Rating: 2/5 Jan 12, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Lasted less than 24 hours.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fragile is the word that better describe this antenna. Performance??? I don't know, I didn't have time to test the antenna before it snapped. I used it for less than 24 hours on my FT-60R until I dropped the talkie and the antenna snapped. The stock antenna lasted for years taking much more abuse.

WX9MAN Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2010 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Book Mark  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I snapped this antenna in like 2 days, didn't take much. I didn't really have time to test it on Tx/Rx but remember it working OK. Now I just use it as a book mark for my Ham Radio Outlet catalogues.

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Would buy again !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Impressive on 440 Mhz with my TH-F6A.

Easily beats the stock duck on 440.

Suspect that build quality and materials better than Maldol and Comet similiars.

Physically holds up well over time (as long as not abused).

RADI0HEAD Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2009 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Very good but there are better  Time owned: months
This is a very good replacement antenna but... I bought it to upgrade my VX-8R duck. It definitely made an improvement but my Comet SMA-503 example consistently receives one s-unit higher than the SRH519 on 2m and 70cm.

To be fair, the SRH519 appears to be made of better materials than the SMA-503.

KF7ELU Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently replace my dummy duck load on my Yaesu VX3R and I am amazed at the difference... I use the HT for crossband repeating with my Yaesu 8900 and with the stock dummy load duck I had to run the full 1.5 watts of the HT to reach my 8900 running on just 5 watts from a distance of 1/4 mile away Now with the Diamond I can crossband much farther not sure yet but tested up to 10 miles already pretty good change in my opinion. All with only 1.5 Watts! Good antenna highly recommended.

N2MCS Rating: 3/5 Sep 23, 2008 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, design not as good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HT antenna is very good on performance. Definitely better than any stock duck.

However, I agree with the poster regarding the center pin... be sure that the antenna mates correctly, or you may be transmitting into an open.

Also, it is EXTREMELY easy to permanently damage the antenna if it is bent sharply. This happened to me. The antenna's design is awkward with the inflexible plastic base.

For light duty though, this antenna is good.

KI4LFA Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2008 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded from my stock antenna to this one. This one is small, lightweight, flexible and really powerful for its size. I bought it from RES today and can hit a repeater in downtown Orlando, FL from 12 miles away(UCF) at 5 Watts from inside a solid concert block building (1st Floor). Works great with my Kenwood TH-F6A. Little static and very clear.
Wide reciving range too, for scanning the police, fire, airports, and trains.

Only worry is the fact of too much flex, will it start sagging or getting bent? Time will tell...