Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna
Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $$30
Description: 144/430 Mhz HT antenna with SMA connector
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH519 HT Antenna.

HB9LEK Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 16:39 Send this review to a friend
better than the original vx-5 rubber antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owning a vx-5 for quite a while, I was not aware that putting a SRH519 instead of the furnished rubber duckie would increase the range of repeaters I can work that much. Slight increase on 2m on receiving and transmitting but big increase on 70cm: If I can hear a repeater, I can now work it. So the SRH519 is now my new standard antenna since the size is identical to the original and it's more flexible thus easier to carry on a belt, in a pocket or in a bag

OZ0FT Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2007 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Light - in more than one way!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was noticing my VX-6 was pulling the voltage less down (drawing less current) on the battery pack when using the supplied rubber duck, than when connected to my cars dual band antenna with good SWR on both 2m and 70cm. I suspected the reason was poor SWR. The protection circuit simply lowered the output power explaining the lesser voltage drop/current draw. If you have a VX-6, try and watch the DC voltage in menu 16 during transmit on both 2m and 70cm. At high power my reasonably new battery pack drops about 0.6V on 2m and 0.8V on 70cm when transmitting into a proper load.

So I purchased a Diamond SRH519 antenna to see if it held other advantages than its light weight. It is similar in length to the VX antenna, but much much lighter and slimmer at 8 grams, versus the VX at 35 grams, as measured on my digital kitchen scale.

To measure SWR I used an Alan KW520 dual sensor SWR meter, using the 140-525MHz sensor and an angular PL with a PL-SMA adapter.

I tested both with the SWR meter free standing and holding it in my hand, to simulate holding a handheld. SWR was, as expected, always better when holding the meter – the closer to the antenna base, the better.

Yeasu VX standard, 19 cm long, best SWR:
145MHz SWR 1:1.8
435MHz SWR 1:>3.0 (Come on Yaesu!)

Diamond SRH519, 20 cm long, best SWR:
145MHz SWR 1:1.2
435MHz SWR 1:1.0

And for fun:

“Scanner antenna”, 36cm long, best SWR:
145MHz SWR 1:2.4
435MHz SWR 1:1.8

As you can see, the SRH519 is by far the easiest load on the finals, both bands, and thus it delivers more radiated power. This has been verified, particularly on 70cm, accessing repeaters that could not be accessed with the VX antenna. A/B test qso’s on 70cm showed the signal from the VX antenna at high power, was comparable to the signal from the SRH519 at the lowest power setting (4W/0.5W = 9dB!). On 2m the difference between the two antennas is not really noticeable (similar size and just slightly better SWR), but I sure like the fact that my finals work into a proper load with the SRH519 on both bands.

So what you get with the SRH519 is much improved transmit range on 70cm plus a much lighter load both on your finals and on your rig. The latter, with the VX-6, is desirable, as the rig is prone to tumble over when placed on a tabletop with the heavy VX antenna. On receive it doesn’t make much difference on 70cm and 2m, apparently the input circuit on the VX-6 accepts a wide impedance range.

What you loose is probably only the ruggedness of the VX antenna. The SRH519 certainly seems more fragile, but time will tell if this is a problem. If so, Diamond makes an electrically equivalent antenna that is heavier and probably tougher, the SRH-701.

Vy 73 de OZ0FT - Frank

YC3EBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2006 00:02 Send this review to a friend
good on both bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On 2 meter & 70 cm band, this antenna really enhanced both transmitting & receiving compared to stock antenna on my vx-7r and vx-5r. On receving the signal increase at least about two units on each HT signal strength scales. On transmitting I got a better report for about 2 signal scale units on 2 meter band(simplex operation on base radio type trnscvr)& better audio quality(less noise)heard when hitting 10 miles repeater from the same location. It was actually better than my sma-503 that has about the same lenght( I wrote my review for comet also). it also looks great on vx-7r/vx-5r

KB3BWF Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2005 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the antenna for my VX-5 and it works much better then the stocker. I have been told my signal is strong and clean from lots of fellow hams. Receiving is fantastic also. I use it in NYC and hit over 40 repeaters in the area without any problems. I used a small rubber "o" ring for the small gap problem. Aside from that I would buy another one in a second.

K7IHC Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2003 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced the stock antenna on my TH-G71A with this one. The performance on 2m is at least the same, and the 440 MHz performance seems to be a bit better than stock. The only thing I didn't like was the way the whip could be easily bent at the top of the hard plastic base section. Several concentric small sections of heat-shrink tubing in that area make a nice strain relief. Now the whip doesn't stay bent at the base after wearing the radio on the belt.

KC0PBC Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2003 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice improvement over OEM duckie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna in hopes that it'd be an improvement over the OEM duckie on my VX-7R. It unquestionably is -- on both 2m and 70cm. With the OEM duckie, I had trouble getting into a particular 2m repeater from inside my office building. I can now work that repeater easily (full quieting in many cases, depending on my location within the building). I've seen similar improvements on 70cm. I recommend it. Seeing the other negative comments here, I can only suspect that some of the folks are getting bum antennas. Maybe Diamond is having QA problems with this model or something, I don't know. But I'm here to say that if you get your hands on a good one, it rocks. :o)

KC8VWM Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2003 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mini HT Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With so many of the newer and smaller HT's out there now capable of recieving multiple band frequencies, it is more difficult to find compact antennas that do this job well.

I own an Icom IC T90A and the recieve coverage is from .5mhz to 1 GHZ.

I compared this antenna to my Diamond RH 77CA, which is an excellent wide band recieving antenna.

I found very little comparison using 500 mw to hit local repeaters on 2 meters. On the 440 band, performance was slightly less, but still, it did better than the stock antenna.

This antenna does not transmit on 6M. A bit of a compromize, but I feel that 6M in most cases requires a much larger antenna for any kind of performance than any "duck" can provide anyways.

I mostly use 2M and it definetly outperformed the stock antenna on 2M band.

Dont let the size fool you, it performed very close to the Diamond RH77CA antenna on 2M !

It also recieves Shortwave radio frequencies better than the stock antenna, but not as well as the RH77CA in this case. I suspect that this is because the RH77CA is slighly longer and the wider antenna may be more broad banded on lower frequencies.

However, it is noteworthy to reiterate that on shortwave, it is much better than the stock antenna. I used it to recieve the BBC on 5.975mhz and tried RCI on 13 and 17 mhz with good results.

RH77CA BBC on 5.975mhz 10 over S-units
Stock Antenna BBC on 5.975mhz 3 - 5 S-units
SRH519 BBC on 5.975mhz 5 - 8 S-units

Of course, it's not as good as using a longwire, but it is definetly more portable.

This antenna is the perfect marriage for todays smaller wideband HT's like the Yeasu VX7R or the Icom T90A

It doesn't "dwarf" the radio and you dont have to worry about the antenna tickling you under the armpits like the RH77CA when the radio is on your beltclip.

The SRH519 is very porportinal to the radio in size, and I would describe it's performance similar to the RH77CA on VHF.

If you are looking to replace a stock HT antenna, and are looking for performance yet, unobtrusive size - This is it!

73's
Charles Bushell
KC8VWM

KE4MEV Rating: 0/5 Feb 15, 2003 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Bad choice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience was identical to that reported by KB9YUR. I bought this expensive antenna for my VX-150, advertised as 3db gain over the stock antenna, and the radio's broadcast range and S-meter receive went WAY DOWN from the stock antenna. At first I thought that the antenna contact was not fully contacting the sma connecter, but it was. Holding the radio in the same location, both the stock antenna and my other replacement showed significant improvement on the signal. I am not bashing Diamond. I own both an RH205 on a BNC/SMA adapter and a base station X-50. I would not trade either of them

KG4AUQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2003 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Realistic expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very happy with this little antenna. Together with my VX5 I'm able to hit any local repeater and have picked up an ave of 2 s-units on receive.
Small, unobtrusive, and just what I was looking for.

KG4UPX Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2002 09:43 Send this review to a friend
A good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna the other day for use primarily with my G71A, and I'm pleased with the results.

It added about 3 clicks to the S meter which helped in receiving signals that were previously weak. I was also able to get a great tone on a repeater with 500mw when I couldn't hit it with the standard duck supplied with the rig at the same power level.

Also, I was pleased to find that even though the antenna is very thin, it did not "wag" back and forth that much when I used it outsided with a good head wind blowing.

All in all, I would recommend this antenna for anyone who wants to get more out of their rig. It is pretty sturdy, and it does good job!

73s,