Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Van Gorden G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for Van Gorden G5RV
Van Gorden G5RV Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $28.95
Description: 102 Foot Dipole, Covers 3.5-30 MHZ

You can write your own review of the Van Gorden G5RV.

VE3MIC Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2006 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna -not much of a compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna installed as an inverted vee, and IMHO works well. In fact, I can count on one hand how many stations I was NOT able to work. Definitely requires a tuner unless you are just operating on 20m. I use my rig's built-in autotuner with no problems. Worst SWR in my case is on 75m (30m a close 2nd) -2.1 match using the autotuner is best I can do on those bands. On the other bands 1.2:1 is the norm.

I would have given this G5RV a 5/5 if it hadn't been for the couple of repairs that I've had to make. Not entirely the antenna's fault, as it had experienced very high wind conditions the both times it failed. The weakness is where the twin-lead attaches. Mine failed once at the center insulator, the second time at the base inside the choke balun. In both cases, it was a quick & easy repair by simply rejoining/soldering the twinlead. I added additional nylon tyewraps that so far has prevented another failure.

KD5ZER Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2006 17:02 Send this review to a friend
it's a good one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the Van Gorden G5RV for about 4 months now. I have it up at about 20feet and have no problem busting up pileups on 40m ssb into South America and on 20m ssb into Europe, with only 100watts from an Icom 706. The antenna works good on 75m, I have no problem talking to guys all over the eastern US and as far west as Texas. The antenna also works good on 60m and 30m. On 17m and up my vertical beats it by about 2 s-units. It is a great antenna and very easy to put up, it took me about 10 minutes by myself.
73 KD5ZER

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2005 20:53 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is wonderful. I have it installed at 33 feet and the TS570 tunes it 80-6 meters! the entire band! Have worked hundreds of stations using only 25 watts! Most reports were good to booming signal. Wish I never spent money on those stupid verticals.

HR2PAC Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2005 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Workmanship.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not installed my G5RV yet but as far as I can see they are built strong with good quality workmanship. Now I realize that some hams might consider it a sin to buy a ready made wire antenna but in this case I think we can call this an exception. Cannot complain for $49.95 the build time alone is worth more money in my opinion. Anyway, I'll come back and post a new review once installed, until then 73's from Honduras.

VK6HZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2004 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Great performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the antenna to take with me on a recent trip to Vanuatu (YJ0AHZ). I was only able to get it up about 6 meters, but was suprised with the excellent performance at that height. Managed to suprise LU6FL on 80M!

It's coming with me on my annual pilgramage to my in-laws farm for the CQWW in Oct (as VK6KK Zone 29), to be added to the Cushcraft A3 and the 40M delta loop. Cant wait to try it out on 40 and 80 when its 20 or so meters above the ground!

PY7GK Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2004 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one since 2002, tired of vertical noisy antennas. It is primarily designed to 20 meters and works good. Mine worked very well on 40 meters (almost always recieved 599 report from West Europe) and 17 meters, too. But it was poor on 12 meters (a vertical is better) and it doesn't work on 30 meters. On 80 meters it isn't good, yet, but worked as many countries as possible. For the price (bought mine about US$ 40.00 in Brazil) and can work almost all bands with only one antenna, I think, it is a good choice a limited budget. 73 de Cris - PY7GK

WB6PKB Rating: 3/5 Apr 6, 2004 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Compromise Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the G5RV from HRO (good dealer and help).
Put it up at 50 feet and tested it on the air in comparison to my dedicated 40 meter dipole, up 30 feet. Reporting Net stations gave my dedicated 40 dipole 2-3 S units more than my G5RV. Guess that says it all! Good quality contstruction, but it is a compromise--will get you on the air, but won't get you heard in a pile up or poor conditions.

WA3G Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2004 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Up since1998  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been up since August,1998. I have earned my DXCC using it.
One weakness is 15 meters. My ground mounted HF6V gives me 7 S units better performance on 15 compared to the G5RV.
Even after Tropical Storm Isabel passed through Maryland it stayed up. Great construction.
Antenna is setup as inverted V with chimney mast as center and trees supporting legs. Dacron rope holds it up.

K6IOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2004 23:57 Send this review to a friend
I was SKEPTICAL . . . but . . .  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the antenna from HRO over a year ago and finally got around to putting it up last September.

I was skeptical about its 1.5 KW rating. I even called [whom I believe to be] the manufacturer. He listened to my concerns and asked if I was having any trouble.

I told him "No". He indicated he would have been surprised because he hadn't heard of any 'power related' issues.

Like a previous poster, I too question the ability of RG8x coax to handle high power. After all, all the charts and info from such credible sources as Belden say that it is not rated any where near legal power.

Well, all I can say is that I pump 1 KW [cw and ssb] into mine on 80/75m and 40m every day, rain or shine, and it has never even hiccuped.

Mine is slung between two trees with the center about 20' off the ground. The twin-lead and balun are pulled off to the side then the coax enters the house. Hardly ideal!

The only thing that I believe is misleading in the advertising is the claim that it needs no tuner. It might be because I have it mounted so low to the ground . . . but the SWR is such on all bands that a tuner is absolutely necessary.

Using an AEA VIA-HF analyzer, the SWR varies 1.79:1 [on 17m], the best, to 5.8:1 on the low end of 80m. [My in-rig tuner does not reliably tune this antenna]

My external tuner [Palstar AT4K] gets it to 1.1:1 on all bands and I get excellent reports. Currently only use it on 80/75m and 40m . . . preferring to use my Gap Titan on the higher bands [my in-rig tuner automatically tunes all bands on the Titan]. The Titan won't handle high power on 75/80m and the G5RV gets better signal reports on 75/80m and 40m.

I qso with a lot of hams that are using a G5RV style antenna. Don't know if they are Van Gorden's, but they all seem to be very effective.

The quality seemed ok to me. The soldered joints were done neatly. I couldn't see inside the balun so only time will see how well it holds up.

DON
K6IOU

KD5TJW Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2004 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best entry level antenna that money can buy. I purchased this antenna through AES about a year and a half ago for fifty big ones. I tried several configurations and found a V setup is the best. I play mostly on the 20meter band barefoot with this antenna up twenty feet. I have excellent reports from California to Maine while operating in South Texas. Sometimes I can hear everybody and they cannot hear me, and visa versa. Must be band conditions. Well, for fifty bucks and a tuner this antenna is the best for multiband operations.