Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-4 (dash 4) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-4 (dash 4)
Hi-Q-Antennas-4 (dash 4) Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $425
Description: The most EFFICIENT HF TUNABLE Mobile antenna is the Hi-Q DASH 4.
Based on these parameters:Frequency= 3.8Mhz,
Base length= 3 feet, base av. diameter= 1.5"' top section (whip)=6.5'with a small corona discharge loop on it's top.
Radiation resistance= .8 ohms, Electrical length=14 degrees, Degree-ampere area=8.9,Overall lenght=13'6" (frpm the groung up).
Ground loss=4.1 ohm, overall antenna 'Q' 92, Shunt needed for 'L' match to 52 ohms=1594 pF.
Coil data: Inductance=77.8 uH, Reactance 1858 ohms, wire size=12 AWG,diameter=4", usable legth=6.4", 40 turns, coil 'Q'=450, Loss resistance 5.7 ohms, RADIATION EFFICIENCY= 7.2% Realtive radiated power -11.1dB, Feed point impedance 11 ohms, Bandwidth for 2:1 SWR= 31 kc.
Since it is tunable the bandwidth can be moved to the desired frequency.
NOTE: These calculation where substantiated by many users of the Hi-Q Dash 4 users.
In our opinion only a 4" diameter MONO Coil will do as well.
More info: http://hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-4 (dash 4).

KU4B Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Hi Q 4-80RT After 3 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Hi Q antenna for over 3 years now. I have been running mobile installations for over 30 years, many capable of working on the HF bands. The Hi-Q antenna out performs every mobile antenna I have ever used. It is very well designed, rugged and works consistently well. If you would like the rest of the story, including how I tackled a noise problem with the vehicle put this in your browser:

AL7QQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Hi-Q 5/160 and owned it now for about two years. It's a real radiator and reports while mobile underway or still have always been great. Bonding/Grounding is very essential key to this antenna to allow it to perform efficiently. Even if you have a doubt on your bonding/grounding go back and check it. I run nets nearly every night with the 5/160 and get good reports from most stations just about anywhere I'm at in the US. Have even worked, New Zealand, Austrailia, Alaska and Hawaii on the low bands at night with very fair reports.
The only problem I've had is the cap hat wires do break after being underway for extended periods of time. Also the Bell housing for the antennas don't stand up well when you hit owls at night with the antenna. Otherwise you get what you pay for. It's a very well put together antenna and has done me very well. Best of 73's to all. Jeff AL7QQ

K7PEH Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2006 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance from Hi-Q 4/80 RT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am very pleased with this mobile antenna. In spite of the fact it is probably one of the more expensive screwdriver antennas, you do indeed get your money's worth.

Construction: very high quality. This antenna oozes quality in every respect. I have it mounted on the rear of my pickup truck with an antenna mount that I designed and built myself (see web site available via QRZ for photos). My goal was to do this antenna justice by building a mount as sturdy and rigid as the antenna.

Performance: what can I say. Just about every one that I can hear, I can work. I consistantly receive good reports. Compared to a tuned whip that I used previously, this Hi-Q antenna opens up the bands -- all of them. I typically use the capacity hat that I got from Hi-Q for 80 meters and that it easy to remove or put back on with the quick disconnects.

I can't think of any negatives for this antenna. It is not plug and play though. Spending time to think about and work through the mobile mount is time well spent and should not be rushed. Also, working to put together the right shunt coil for operating on 80 and 40 takes some work if you are not used to doing that sort of thing (I wasn't). But, my trusty MFJ-259 antenna analyzer was money well spent (finally) in getting the right tuned coil set up.

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2006 09:39 Send this review to a friend
A Mobile Miracle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kudos to Charlie for the "Hi-Q-4 Short" (30" lower mast & 4 " diameter coil) and ideal for ball screw mount or trunk lip mount. The antenna is lightweight enough for the rear quarter panel (not bumper mount) on your passenger vehicle, virtually eliminating coupling losses to the car body. It's tough enough to handle 500 watts without a meltdown or whimper.
PSST! Charlie does not advertise this model on his website (He's keeping the big signal a secret.. but now it's out!) Try it on 80 meters with the 12" extension, #2 capacity hat and 60" whip.(Tunes 2.7mhz through 18 MHz) Your friends and enemys will think you're operating from a base station but can't find you at home anymore!
Try this antenna with the N2VZ TurboTuner for "hasslefree" automatic tuning. Also recommend the CWS multitap UNUN (mounted just inside the trunk at the ballscrew mount).

KG4NBL Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2005 17:23 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why do I use Hi-Q-HF mobile antennas by: KG4NBL,

“THEY RADIATE and Not DISSIPATE the RF!”

The series of Hi-Q Antennas I own starts with the Hi-Q-2.5/40 RT tru the Hi-Q-5/160!

The -2.5 I had for 3 years, four ea. -4/80 and 3 ea. -5/160 since then.

The Hi-Q-2.5/40 mostly I use on: 40M/20M/17M/10M with a 37” whip with corona ball.
Also get on 6M by tuning down to find the MULTIPLE Wave length of 6M.

These are the BEST HF Mobile antennas I EVER used!

These antenna are traveling with me in my TRUCK (18 Wheeler) my boat and in my Suburban.
SOME OF THESE ANTENNAS ARE OVER 3 YEARS OLD AND WORKING FINE, HOWEVER ONE MUST KEEP THE COIL CLEAN ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER, WHEN THE ROAD CRUD COLLECTS THAT IS CONDUCTIVE, AS LOW AS 350 OHMS! When clean the LEXAN coil housing is 20 Meg Ohms, measured EXTERNALLY.

These antennas have been in Alaska in February an off shore of the Florida Keys in June.
I have learned a lot from my -4/80 that I have owned for 4 years: Keep it clean!
The accumulation of salt and winter road grime can create a PATH for an RF ARC when one runs a kW or more.
Remember: at 500 watts there is very high voltage at the base of the whip to the top of the contactor location: 12,700 volts!!!

All of my Hi-Q is RT’s that is remotely tunable with 12 VDC.
With a CAPACITY switch box and aTW-1 talking watt meter it is easy to tune to a VSWR of 1:1, doing this without looking!
The -4 works with the same whip/Caphat set us as the -2.5 coil.

And now the newest addition to my Hi-Q Collections is the Hi-Q-5/160, these are 10-160 mobile antennas. I have 3 of these beauties!
You might ask why so many: I set them up as PHASED Verticals for greater radiation Efficiency.
I work 40-160 with these antennas since the COIL DIAMATER to LENGTH ration is the closest in this design.
6 M to 20 the smaller -2.5 does very well for the same reason.

With these antennas I have worked out 50 STATES from 49 STATES!!!
All on the 3905 Century Club and on 1893 from my truck and some portable operation.

See my website: www.kg4nbl.com

I will be in Hawaii in January 2006 using my ROTATABLE Phased Verticals!!

For common sense mobile installation one has to have good Ohmic and RF counterpoise so that a vertical antenna to perform well.

The use of Capacity hat a long whip for 80/160 operation pays great dividend, in portable set up one can use a very long wire to come to close to a tru ¼ wl mobile antenna. With 60 foot wire added to the top of the coil, you only use a few turns of the loading coil and those allow you to TUNE the WHOLE band on80/160 M.

My thanks for Hi-Q-Antennas for a perfect HF mobile antenna, using a Hi-Q loading coil.

Gene, KG4NBL

AA8GK Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2005 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine over a year and a half and I can't say enough about it. Signals (in and out) are far better than any other antenna I've used (and I've used just about everything!). Ive worked some GREAT DX with it, too, from my Cherokee. A good installation with this antenna can take a while, but the results are worth it. Charlie has been great to work with. His customer support is a HUGE plus to buying this antenna. No, the Hi-Q's aren't cheap, but they work and last. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Great job, Charlie!!!

W60AX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 20:12 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLE THE BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
THE HI-Q 4/80 IS THE BEST MADE MOBILE ANTENNA IT WORKS FROM 6 TO 80 METERS,THE QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION IS AMAZED,AND THE RECEPTION OF INCOMING SIGNALS ARE STRONG,MY FRIENDS ALWAYS ASKED IF I USE AN AMP, I HAVE A 706 AND THE HI-Q 4/80 THAT'S IT.I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND HI-Q ANTENNAS AND HIS OWNER.QUIERO ESCRIBIR UN POCO EN ESPANOL PARA ALTAMENTE RECOMENDAR ESTA ANTENNA SIMPLEMENTE LA MEJOR EN EL MARCADO POR SU FORMA DE CONSTRUCCION Y POR LA FORMA DE COMO TRABAJA EN LO PERSONAL SIEMPRE MIS AMIGOS ME PREGUNTAN SI ESTOY USANDO AMPLIFICADOR Y LA VERDAD SOLO TENGO UN 706 Y LA HI-Q 4/80 CON ESO LES DIGO TODO ,SE LAS RECOMIENDO, SIN CONTAR LA AMAVILIDAD DE CHARLIE EL SIEMPRE TE ATIENDE DE LA MEJOR MANERA GRACIAS CHARLIE.

K5MDM Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2005 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually bought only the 2.5 500 watt one, trying to please the wife. It is great and I used DX engineering Hot Rodz about 16" for top hat. Heres the key to them that I found, thanks to a friend in a foreign country. A TEN turn COIL on 1"+ broomstick of #12 wire as a shunt feed, will give you 1.3:1 or so on all bands. I was using a tapped coil but found this to be good enough to work well and not have to jump out in the evening to change bands...Great antenna so far, too soon to tell though. Just 2 mos. 73 Murray K5MDM See pictures on my blog...www.myradioranch.com

W1ITT Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2005 07:14 Send this review to a friend
commercial quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 80m dash-4 is very well built, and with a good installation, paying particular attention to vehicle grounding (and don't assume that all metal parts on a vehicle are at ground potential!) this antenna plays well and should hold up to the rigors of the road. Mine is installed on the bedwall of a Tundra pickup and makes 75m mobile fun rather than frustrating. I matched mine with shunt L at the base optimized on 75m and it works well on the other bands. It looks like mil-spec stuff, unlike the screwdriver rig I built myself a few years ago! Charlie got it right on this one.

W6RCW Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2005 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Q 4/80 RT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna is used fixed on my outdoor patio with 600 watts and results are SUPERB!
RC, w6rcw