Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3)
Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3) Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $295
Description: The number two in the HF mobile series the Hi-Q-Antennas DASH 3 (-3) is the Second only to the DASH 4 in the Radiation Efficiency!!!
Here are the 27 facts and criterias.Performance measured only on 75 and 40 M since ANY antenna will perform on 20-15-17 and 10 Meters.
Resonant freq.=3.8 MHz,Baselength=3', base diameter=11.5", top section (whip) =6.2', topsection dia. .6 with a small loop on top. Radiation resistance=.8 ohms, degree-amp area=8.7, Electrical length=13 degrees, overall height=13'6",
Ground loss=4.1 ohms, overall antenna 'Q'=77, shunt=1386 pf 'L' match to 52 ohms. Inductance=81uH, reactance=1933 ohms, wire size=14 AWG, coil dia=3", usable length=6" 9TPI,=
Coil 'Q'=300, loss resistance8.3 ohms, 100w I (rf) 2.8 amps, wire lentgh=40'.
Radiation Efficiency=5.8%, Relative radiated power=-12.3 dB, Band width for 2:1 SWR= 37 kHZ.
As with the Dash 4 being tunable the band width mabe be moved keeping the lowest VSWR.
All material used are MIL-SPEC standard and tracable to the supplier.

Again, please remember that Radiation efficiencies are mutch greater on 40-2-17-and 10 M. We shall publish those datas on the NEWEST Stealth II.-2.5/80 HF Mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3).

W8LM Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2011 20:55 Send this review to a friend
After 6 years...  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 6 years of mobile operation and about 100,000 miles driving, the 3/80 is being replaced with a 4/80. It's hit trees as the tip is 13'6" above ground on top of my Duramax diesel pickup. The antenna has done me well and I bought again only upgraded to 4" coil. The 3/80 replaced a Hi-Sierra 1800 that fell apart in 6 months. I found they had a brass strip mounted to an aluminum tube with stainless steel screws and it immediately oxidized and failed. Hi-Sierra told me I needed the 1 year maintenance kit. I told them the antenna was only 6 months old...
Hi-Sierra 6 months- Hi-Q 6 years and still going.

N7RVS Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2011 12:22 Send this review to a friend
What an antenna !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After doing my homework, I finally made up my mind. I wanted to put an antenna on my truck that was totally enclosed with no external moving parts. I am always getting reports of "There is NO way you are a mobile." I am glad that I did my homework! This is my first Hi-Q and there will be more. Charlie has a very good product and stands behind it. Great to see in a very "Me first" world. Thanks Charlie. 73's N7RVS

K5CQJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2010 14:49 Send this review to a friend
IF the Marines have it, I will have It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On a recent trip to California, I decided to visit Hi-Q Antenna's since it was just down the hwy from my location. I meet Charlie W6HIQ and the rest was history! As a Marine Vet, I know if we (USMC SPECOPS) want it, it is good! I ended up with the Hi-Q 3/80 RT, DC Controller,the CapHat with Extension and GQD/WQD. On my trip back to Mississippi I was blown away at how the Antenna performed, 59 to 59+ on almost all QSO's while travelling at 65/70 mph. I made a Italy contact just outside of Pheonix,AZ and he was shocked I was in the mobile with a 59 signal on 100 watts! The Hi-Q 3/80 Recieve (Ears)is better thank my Shack Station! Thanks Charlie for such a remarkable product and you definitely won my ham friends whom I talked with on my trip back! God Bless you and you keep making this quality product and yes I'm proud it is made here in the USA! HooRaaH Charlie 73 de K5CQJ Al" Sarge" Heidelberg,MS "Proud Hi-Q Owner"

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2008 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some fellow amateurs have questioned my earlier rating of 3 - having missed my final comment which rating was aimed solely at the pot metal ball screw mount and NOT the antenna's superior quality engineering, construction or performance.

Quite the contrary, over the years, I have purchased a dozen mobile antennas from Hustler, Yankee, TarHeel, SGC and Hi Q models 3, 4 and 5. Without a doubt, the Hi Q antennas are the most reliable and best performing of the group. My next purchase will ba a Hi Q 6 model and I am looking forward to the trial opportunity.

W7JL Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2008 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Repair and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ‘m the second owner of a Hi-Q 3-80 antenna, I just punched at a local Ham Fest. While building a mount for it to install it on my motor home, it feel of the kitchen table and broke the plastic around the coil. I called Charlie and explained what had happened, he said take a picture of it and email it to him. He responded with in 5 minutes saying he may not be able to repair it because the antenna was the old design. He didn’t think he had the parts to repair it. He told me to send it to him and he would do his best to repair it. We I found out that was a understatement. I send it by FedEx on a Tuesday he received it Thursday repaired it sent it back out on Friday and I had it back on Monday. Some where he dug up a new coil installed it with some modifications on the top section to strengthen it. This was my first Hi Q antenna and the quality of the repair and service has made me a believer in his reputation. I guess he felt sorry for me because of the situation, in with Antenna was a note in Cap’s “NO CHARGE FOR THE NEW COIL AND LABOR (COST $125.00) PAY ONLY SHIPPING AND HANDELING”
John –KC7IM--

KI6SZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 14, 2007 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna for over two years now. When it worked, it worked pretty well. My experience with this antenna has been OK at best, and definitely not great. The screws that hold the small-diameter mast tube to the bottom tube (where the motor is located) are constantly backing out and need to be tightened about every two weeks (I'll try some lock-tite after I fix the stuck motor problem). The quick disconnect (although rather robust) is constantly loosening and requires frequent re-tightening. When the screws/bolts or the quick disconnect loosen, the antenna makes a mechanical "noise" which is audible in the car (when stationary) as the whip swings around.

The top and bottom end caps on the coil have become very badly pitted, but all of the other metal parts are still in very good condition. The motor has completely quit working (the antenna is stuck at one position). I thought it may have just been due to the gear-head grease stiffening during the winter months, but it is now June and the motor still won't turn... I am hoping that this is merely due to a fault in the solid-state fuse employed by HI-Q and NOT the motor, since there is definitely DC voltage, but zero current measured at the motor leads at the bottom of the antenna.

I have also used a "bug catcher", and then later changed to a "conventional" screwdriver antenna, and then finally the HI-Q antenna on this vehicle. The "bug catcher" by far provided the best field strength of all three antenna types, but lacked the convenience of the screwdriver-type antennas. The HI-Q antenna definitely has a higher loaded quality factor than the other screwdriver antenna, as evidenced by the sharper tuning, but I never had any mechanical or motor problems with the "cheapie" screwdriver antenna as I have had with the HI-Q antenna. I wouldn't have expected these types of problems with an antenna in this price range. Perhaps I just got a lemon?...

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2007 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Hi-Q 3/80 RT now for about two years, and it easily outperforms other mobile antennas I have used. The construction is high quality, and Charlie provides superb customer service, though it is rarely needed. I have made use of the big stainless GQD quick-release mount on the bottom, and the WQD easy screw-on mount for the whip at the top. All work effortlessly. I consistently get reports such as "I can't believe you're mobile" with just this antenna and an IC-706. I have also used (among others) an Outback and a 102" whip with the ICOM tuner. This outperforms both (with the tuner/whip combo ranking on the bottom.) I will gladly recommend Hi-Q mobile antennas.

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Please see my review for the Hi-Q 3" Short Tunable antenna in the Hi-Q-5 section. I mistakenly submitted it to the wrong section.

N1DL Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2005 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Q 3-80 great performing antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the model 3-80 from Charlie after lots of experimentation with HamSticks, MFJ and SuperAntenna screwdrivers. No comparison.
The Hi-Q is the Rolls Royce of mobile antennas. Excellent quality and performance.
I use mine with IC706MKIIG and the automatic Turbo Tuner from N2VZ. Worked perfect right out of the box -
Mounted on the mobile mount from Charlie bolted to the tow-hook of my Mercedes E320CDI - no drilling needed.
Karl N1DL
The antenna shines on 40, 60 and 80 meters.

WA1GZY Rating: 3/5 Jul 10, 2005 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Needs strong Mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought Hi Q 3 XTL to mount on Hustler Ball Screw mount. Unfortunately, the pot metal ball screw mounted high on side of car trunk is not stable enough to carry the load. This antenna needs a beefy mount bracket. As to performance, I received excellent signal reports on 80 meters utilizing Icom 706MKIIG, Antenna Boss II and the SG500 power cube (500 watt) linear. My suggestion is for Charlie to come out with same quality antenna with an 18 inch lower mast/coil. The low rating is not to disparage the quality of the antenna but reflects my disappointment in the needed application.