Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3)
Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3) Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $295
Description: The number two in the HF mobile series the Hi-Q-Antennas DASH 3 (-3) is the Second only to the DASH 4 in the Radiation Efficiency!!!
Here are the 27 facts and criterias.Performance measured only on 75 and 40 M since ANY antenna will perform on 20-15-17 and 10 Meters.
Resonant freq.=3.8 MHz,Baselength=3', base diameter=11.5", top section (whip) =6.2', topsection dia. .6 with a small loop on top. Radiation resistance=.8 ohms, degree-amp area=8.7, Electrical length=13 degrees, overall height=13'6",
Ground loss=4.1 ohms, overall antenna 'Q'=77, shunt=1386 pf 'L' match to 52 ohms. Inductance=81uH, reactance=1933 ohms, wire size=14 AWG, coil dia=3", usable length=6" 9TPI,=
Coil 'Q'=300, loss resistance8.3 ohms, 100w I (rf) 2.8 amps, wire lentgh=40'.
Radiation Efficiency=5.8%, Relative radiated power=-12.3 dB, Band width for 2:1 SWR= 37 kHZ.
As with the Dash 4 being tunable the band width mabe be moved keeping the lowest VSWR.
All material used are MIL-SPEC standard and tracable to the supplier.

Again, please remember that Radiation efficiencies are mutch greater on 40-2-17-and 10 M. We shall publish those datas on the NEWEST Stealth II.-2.5/80 HF Mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-3 (dash 3).

K3LJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2004 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Worth the cost  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my antenna installed on my pickup truck now for over 3 months now.

Installation of the antenna was not difficult at all. I used the mount for the antenna from HiQ but had it modified to bolt onto my step bumper.I do not have the antenna supported anywhere except where it is mounted.

I am very satisfied with the operation. I have been on all bands from 80 - 6 meters. The antenna adjusts to give me a low SWR with no problem at all. Everything was installed as per the online instruction sheet. I can not emphasize proper grounding on this antenna.

I am using the MFJ unit to control the movement from band to band. The rig that I am using is the Icom 706MKIIG.

Before I bought this unit I talked to several of the makers of this type of adjustable antenna. The items that appealed to me most were the ruggedness of the construction and that there were no outside moving parts that could be possibly freeze up in the winter. I have checked the tightness of all the hardware after bouncing around on the back of my truck for 3 months and only had to tighten a couple of screws. I believe that you will probably have to check this with all similar antennas due to vibration.

I talked to Charlie about his antenna and he stayed on the phone with me until all my questions were answered and that I was satified.

In summary, I think that I have made a very good choice for a mobile antenna and would do it again. Don't look at the price only, read all of the information on the web site and call Charlie before you make a decision.

73, Len

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2002 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Lighter IS better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently upgraded to one of Charlie's new "light" models, it weighs a little over 6 lbs (almost 3lbs less than my older -3 model). Comparing it to my old -3 model, it is more balanced, less top heavy, due to the light-weight materials used in the coil caps. As always, the construction (and overall looks) is superb. It's a winner, and performs just as well as my other Stealth II antennas.

Good job Charlie, thanks for the improvements.

73, Dave
Norcross, GA

WB7BV Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2002 04:04 Send this review to a friend
I like being told that I am LOUD!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have the antenna roof mounted on a VW Golf. Yes the antenna is larger than the car. HI. But it works very well. The new fast tune is about 1Min and 11 Sec end to end. Very good on 20 and 17 meters. Am running 400 Watts into it with no problems. Internal circuit breaker is a nice addition and eliminates the need for droping resistor. However the shunt coil (supplied) is needed. The Capacitance hat is mounted above the coil by 2 feet. Seems good on 40 meters. Primarly due to the 3 inch diameter coil. A little expensive but you get what you pay for.

73 de WB7BV Morris wb7bv@outdrs;

Great service from Carlie and he returns calls!

I is intended for mainly 40 through 10 meters but will work on 80 meters also.

A little expensive but it is worth the ego trip.

73 de WB7BV Morris wb7bv@outdrs.net

KG6GIL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2002 18:47 Send this review to a friend
WORKS BETTER THAN ADVERTISED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I PICKED UP THIS WORK OF ART ANTENNA AT THIS YEARS DAYTON I HAD THE OPORTUNITY TO MEET WITH CHARLIE AT HIS OFFICE HE ASSISTED ME WITH THE INSTILATION DESIGN. SPEND THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING ASK CHARLIE FOR HELP. SO FAR I AM GETTING GREAT SIGNAL REPORTS AS WELL GREAT RECEPTION WITH 100 WATTS. THE ANTENNA IS INSTALLED ON MY LINCOLN NAVIGATOR WITH A QUICK DISCONECT AND CUSTOM MADE SLIDE BRACKET MY RADIO IS A YAESU FT-100D

KO6GX Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2002 19:28 Send this review to a friend
NO COMPARISSON....HI-Q IS THE BEST MOBILE ANTENNA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Big signal! Like a base station! Are you really mobile? Are you running linear? Those are the common comments I get every time I'm on the air with my Stealth-3.

I had this Stealth-3 antenna for over 3 years now and never had any problem with it. It still works like a charm. Stealth Antenna can take the punishment even all those years. It is very obvious that Charlie did a lot of man-hours to make this antenna the best there is. Quality workmanship, very professional design and very simple operation, these are the words that best describe Stealth or now Hi-Q antennas.

Sure this is called stealth but it is no way stealthy. The antenna is BIG but sure comes out BIG. There's no greater satisfaction than a mobile station to be confused as a base station because the signal really goes out. The installation is a little tricky too. Since the antenna is big, you have to make sure that the connection is sturdy. Don't be in a hurry to install it. Think of it carefully how you are going to install that antenna. If you have to weld an adapter connected to the chassis, do it. Do anything that will make the installation sturdy. You don’t want that nice antenna to disappear from you especially if you are off-roading, right? Just like any other mobile antenna, you need a good ground. If you really want to have your stealth antenna to perform, make sure it is well grounded. Grounding, grounding and lots of it. That's what most of them are having problem. I say if you have good ground, you wont have a problem tuning it to your desired band.

Charlie's customer service, that's his best. He will help you all the way. He will even help you install it to your vehicle if you are really having problem installing and tuning it. Understand that Charlie is a businessman and his time, just like yours is important. So he might charge a little extra for installation especially if it takes more than 4 hours to get it going, but is worth the effort.

More than three years and still going strong. If ever I have to get another mobile antenna for the extra vehicle, there is no doubt that I will be getting Charlie's Stealth or Hi-Q antenna. I will not hesitate on recommending this antenna not only to my friends but also to my enemies if I have any (that includes ex-wives).

73's and happy HF mobiling.

KO6GX

N3IZN Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2002 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Your mobile!?!?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Your mobile!?!?

That’s the question I get asked the most with new contacts. After relocating to southern California I didn’t have the space to put up HF antennas at my home. Since I’m usually on the road for at least 3 hours a day I decided to set up a good mobile. I did the internet searches and found the Stealth antennas.

After several emails and phone calls with Charlie I purchased the –3 model. I made a simple bracket out of 2” angle stock. After some experimenting with the shunt coil the thing works great. Later got the middle size cap-hat, which improved low band performance. I even got one of his 160 add on coils and work 160 mobile while traveling at highway speeds down Rt. 5.

The only problem I had was with the SAM controller. When I first got it setup it was getting RF into the circuitry and caused the motor to move. Before I realized what was happening it ran the motor to the bottom and broke off something internal. I called Charlie and he said no problem. I drove up to Wildomar and he fixed it at no charge. I got to see how he makes them and he showed me his shack. He even gave me some snap on chokes for the control leads, which eliminated the RF interference to the SAM controller.

I have a long commute and work irregular hours, so I don’t have a set schedule with any one or any band. I just tune around and look for activity. I effortlessly worked South Africa on long path on 20 meters. I have broken into pile-ups to work several south pacific DXpeditions. If I can hear them, I can work them.

I checked into a net on 1.910 and I was the center of attention. Those guys couldn’t believe how could I was getting out. One station gave me the line “I’ve been operating 160 meters for 20+ years, and you’re not mobile!” I rolled down the window, sounded the horn, at a stop I opened the door and let him hear the door open alarm. Finally I emailed him a pic. At first I was offended accusing me of lying, but after I thought about it a while, it was the ultimate compliment.

I have recommended Charlie to several of my friends and they are very pleased with their antennas. I talk to other mobiles on their commutes and we compare notes about our setups. I’m surprised how many other antennas have their coil exposed to the elements, what a maintenance nightmare. The stealth antenna has its coil and moving parts sealed.

My job is having me travel a lot. So I’m thinking about getting a non-motorized version and using a magnet mount for a suitcase station. If anyone has any experience with this I would like to hear from you. Like wise if anyone has any questions on my setup please feel free to contact me. I am very happy with mine.

Chris
N3IZN
N3IZN@aol.com

W5EJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 09:44 Send this review to a friend
A truly superior product !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I’ve run HF mobile since the 1960s, using a variety of antennas including home-made and commercial “bugcatchers,” Webster, Hustlers, and several “Hamstick” types. My favorite bands have always been 40 and 75 meters where antenna design and efficiency are especially important to performance. In all those years, I had never been tempted to try a screwdriver type. They all looked like big RF chokes to me.

Then I discovered Hi-Q’s Stealth-3. It has a big 3-inch diameter coil using large wire and producing high Q. It is sealed so it doesn’t collect dirt or moisture. All of the tuning movement is internal… the antenna length never changes. Construction is a work of art! The Stealth-3 addressed all of my objections to other screwdrivers, so I ordered one. It performs on a par with bugcatchers of similar height (the best performers I’ve found) along with the benefits of motorized tuning from the driver’s seat.

A fold-over fitting above the coil lets me clear my garage door by maybe three inches. Twice, I have forgotten and driven into the garage with the antenna up. The whip bent 90 degrees, about 2 inches above its base fitting and the fold-over fitting was badly sprung, but Charlie’s Stealth-3 never knew the difference. That’s STOUT!!

I also bought one of Charlie’s “quick disconnect” fittings so I can still go through the car wash. It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen. It’s three inches in diameter and takes some 60 pounds of downward force to release. Awesome!

This antenna is so good that without exception, so far, every one of my screwdriver-using friends have said they will buy a Stealth when time comes to replace their present antenna. That says a lot.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. In fact, I would probably buy his newer -4 model with the 4-inch diameter coil, higher Q and fewer turns on 75 and 40 meters.

Many thanks to Charlie for building such a fine, well-engineered high-performance product line. You rarely find products like this any more.

Ed, W5EJ

HL5FEE Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2002 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Really Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello.
This is Song/HL5FEE in Korea.
I`ve been used a Brand X center loaded antenna on my RV before this Stealth II.I`m usually working mobile QSO on the way of my office.Especially 40m is my preference band.
I was supprised at receiving performance & radiation efficiency of this antenna.Of course I`m charmed with external appearance of Stealth II-3.When I speed up 150miles on the Kyungbu High way,this antenna was alright.
Every one never believe I`m a HF mobile station.
They feel me a fixed station.
I can confidently recommend this beautiful HF-mobile antenna.
I`m very happy the first user of this antenna in Korea.
Good mobiling!