Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Gordon West Help

Reviews Summary for Gordon West
Gordon West Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $Clearance 1.99
Description: These are the tapes Gordon West did for Radio Shack, which some of their store still carry Four cassettes... taking you from 5 wpm to 13 wpm. item #62-2418

You can write your own review of the Gordon West.

KC4BYB Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2011 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Probably the best way to get your ticket....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I received my Tech license several decades ago, but never got around to the General. I finally made up my mind to do it and used Gordo's materials. Really concentrated for about a month. I found that using both the CD's and book worked best for me. I believe I scored 100 on the General test (they wouldn't tell me). I don't know what else may be out there that provides a balance of actual learning and cramming. I'm now plowing through the Extra materials. It clearly is a much more difficult test, but Gordon has it laid out nicely. In my day job, I often train company employees on Web content management systems (CMS), so I have a feel for the teaching process. Good luck and 73's!

KB2VMG Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 12:22 Send this review to a friend
THIS IS THE WAY TO GO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I USED GORDO'S BOOK AND CDS TO PASS MY EXPERT CLASS EXAM FIRST TIME OUT AND AFTER ONLY 6 HOURS OF STUDY. WHAT CAN BE SAID THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SAID ABOUT GORDO. HE IS THE GREATEST HAM RADIO TRAINER AND PROMOTER OUT THERE. NOT ONLY DOES HE EXPLAIN THE MATERIAL ON THE EXAM AND THE UNDERLYING CONCEPTS IN A MANNER THAT NON-ENGINEERS LIKE ME CAN EASILY UNDERSTAND, BUT HE GIVES YOU COUNTLESS TIPS AND TRICKS TO ASSURE THAT YOU'LL PASS EVEN IF YOUR BRAIN FREEZES UP. GO GORDO AND YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

KG1F Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Gordo helped me pass both General and Extra  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I passed both Element 3 and Element 4 with the help of the Gordon West Audio CDs, listening to them on my commute to and from work. Gordo helps with all kinds of tips and mnemonic tricks and a real easy to understand teaching style.

Thanks, Gordo!

KC2VNI Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Good to Teach the Test  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This material is good to teach you the "tricks of the trade" to pass your FCC exams.

I took and passed all 3 exams using the audio CDs and the books while driving back and forth to work.

I took the exams back to back (meaning over the course of 6 weeks I took all 3 exams). I have a pretty decent memory so I could key into what Gordo was saying.

Note that his approach is to go through the questions (he organizes the material in an easy to understand way) and he gives you tips in how to remember the answer to the question at hand.

If you're looking for a good explanation of the theory, the ARRL license books are better.

WA2AQC Rating: 0/5 Sep 25, 2009 17:51 Send this review to a friend
out of date manual  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered an Extra Class course from Gordon West, because of the all the good reputation he had.
When I received the book I noticed that it was only good for the next 3 months. I had never known that the FCC had 4-year cycles of test questions. I am a slow learner, especially for material such as in the Extra Class category. I called the company and asked if they had the more recent up to date manual that would give me more time to study during the next 4-year cycle and he argued with me adamantly that he would not take it back in exchange for the newer edition. That is a stupid and filthy way to do business while also expecting the good will of customers. I wonder if West himself would have been at all upset by what his employee did to me. The employee would not listen to reason. He was just interested in selling product, no matter if it were out of date, as long as they could get a profit from the sale.
His attitude was crude and cruel and unconscionable, and if he ever did that to one of my customers he would be out on his keester in a minute ! As a result of this run-in, Gordon West is on my permanent scat list. I don't care if his product is any good or not.

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 21:35 Send this review to a friend
SUPER!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I learned CW to pass my General in 2006 with help from the old Novice tapes and "Code Quick". I inherited the tapes from an older 13 WPM General who used them years back to get himself up to 13 WPM. The tapes are from 1979, 1983, 1984, and 1987 but worked great for being old! Besides the CW characters have not changed in 90 years!!
Some of the theory tapes are way outdated, but the CW tapes helped me out a bunch!!!!!!!

KF6NTE Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2007 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Gordo Rocks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read Gordo's book back in sept of 1997 and passed the technician exam after a week.

AB2WK Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Choice!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used Gordo's Extra Class book to study for the test. I would read it for a 1/2 hour every night for 3 months and researched the questions I didn't understand during the day. I passed on the 1st try. I still use the book because it contains all the math formula's you'll ever need for ham radio. Don't get rid of it after you pass the test!

KE5RKE Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2007 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished my Technicians test a few weeks ago. I studied Gordon's book for that test. I spent about 6 weeks on it. The two weeks before the test, I took from 5 to 10 on-line practice tests a day until I had it down to only 1 or 2 missed every time. When I took my test, I was surprised that some of the questions sounded as if I'd never heard them phrased that way before. But I passed. My only complaint is that now I find myself asking questions that were actually covered in the ARRL book. Now I'm going to have to go back and read the ARRL book to learn all that information I missed by just studying Gordon's book.

KA4PIJ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2007 09:10 Send this review to a friend
best thing i have ever purchases to learn with  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the extra class study guide on cd and the book. i started the cd going to work and back in march. on may the 19 2007 @ dayton ham fest,(after say a total of 20 to 30 hrs of study in 30 min spans to and from work 2 to 5 days a week) i passed the extra class test . although i still missed the 1 polar cordance ? . i have sence purchased the general and tech courses for family members.i am 56 yrs old and have not studied anything in 25 yrs and and i am a machanic by trade. with the book and the cd,s Gordon will get you through any test.