Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Gordon West Help

Reviews Summary for Gordon West
Gordon West Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $Clearance 1.99
Description: These are the tapes Gordon West did for Radio Shack, which some of their store still carry Four cassettes... taking you from 5 wpm to 13 wpm. item #62-2418

You can write your own review of the Gordon West.

WB6FXU Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Great study guide for Extra Class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In February, 2007, I purchased the Gordon West Software & Book Education Package. The book was helpful in explaining the answers and had helpful hints for memory. The sofware by W5YI was extremely useful after working the book. It allowed taking of the test by subelement and then samples of the actual test. I worked and repeated the software until I was confident with all the answers in the question pool. I took the test in April and received my upgrade to Extra Class. I not only passed, my score was 100%...that should tell it all. Oh yes, I should tell you that I'm over age 65 and I'm not an engineer or tech.

AD7DB Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2004 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Gordon West's theory tapes rock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the Gordon West theory tapes way back when I got my Technician license. I could play them while working on my computer or driving, let old Gordon drone on and let it soak in slowly. After some time I began to play some of the tapes more than others in order to concentrate on some weak areas.

Using the ARRL book to fill in some pieces and provide essential GRAPHS and PICTURES that cassette tapes can't provide, I made a clean sweep of the test. You will too!

NO8RF Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2003 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Ham Books  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Gordon West's books from my Novice lic up to my advanced lic which is no longer being issued, I have to say this is by far the best course and best teacher I have ever had, I even spoke with him a time or to. I tried tune in the world with ham radio but it didn't do me any good, Gordon walks you thru the test step by step and explains everything to you on his tapes, I think everyone should take his course.

ILIKECODE Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2001 17:22 Send this review to a friend
The best code tapes I ever heard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried some old ARRL tapes that came with a book called Tune In The World With Ham Radio thoose tapes were okay but did not teach me morse code that well. Because of this I ordered Gordon West morse code tapes and they are wonderful. I am confident I will pass the code test. Try theese tapes if you don't get it the first time try again and you will know the code.

WA2MGB Rating: 3/5 Sep 17, 2001 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Good but with one MAJOR flaw  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased these tapes in order to pass my 5wpm tech plus exam. The tapes are well done, and you WILL learn your letters, numbers, etc. However, the sample exam included is sent a character rate slower than the ARRL test. A significant difference! I did pass the test, however, the CD's published by the ARRL which include sample tests are ACCURATE regarding what you will hear in the headphones. I found GW system better for learning the letters/numbers/ etc than the ARRL CD... But if you want a foretaste of the exam pick up the current ARRL CD's.