Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-2.5 (dash 2.5) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-2.5 (dash 2.5)
Hi-Q-Antennas-2.5 (dash 2.5) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: The third version of the Hi-Q-Antennas HF Mobile antenna is the NEWEST design the Stealth II.-2.5/80.
This is the 10/80 M tunable version of the very succsessfull Stealth II.-2.5/40.
The new slim look and lighter weight with almost the same Radiation Efficiency makes this HF mobile antenna a very desirable for the newer modern vehicles with limited mounting opportunity.
These figures can explain to you why it is STILL the BEST HF Mobile antenna, Mid mount on Standard auto.
Input parameters: Resonant frequency=3.8 MHz, Base section length=3', Top section (whip) length=6'3", Top diameter=.6 with a small loop on the top. Secondary outputs: Radiation Resistance= .8 ohms, Electrical length=14 degrees, Degree amp area= 8.8, Overall heigth=13.5', Estimated ground loss=4.1 ohms, Overall antenna 'Q'=72, shunt 1341 pF to 'L' match to 52 ohms. Coil data:Inductance=80 uH, Reactance 1908 ohms, wire size 14 AWG, diameter=2.5", length=8",
11 TPI, Coil 'Q'= 240, Radiation Efficiency= 5.2%, Realtive Radiated power=13.4 dB, feed point impedance=14 ohms, Bandwidth for 2:1 SWR 39 kc.
Power handling= 1Kw, Tuned by Pittman Gearhead DC motor.
Supplementing these fine HF mobile antennas are the Stealth II. series "MT" Manually tunable versions.
All materials used are Mil-Spec and tracable to the supplier.
Please read comments about the Stealth II. series antennas under Stealth II. here at the HF mobile antennas section.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-2.5 (dash 2.5).

AA8GK Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 10:47 Send this review to a friend
No Room for Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my SECOND Hi-Q antenna, my first one being the 4/80 RT. I bought the Dash 2.5 when I bought a new truck and had to find another install solution. I will say, however, the 4/80 is still a butt-kicking antenna, built like an M-1 Abrams tank. I have owned the Dash 2.5 for several months, but just haven't gotten around to installing it on my truck. The construction is no different; solid and well-machined.

The Dash 2.5 is quite a bit lighter than the 4/80 and lends itself to a variety of mounting solutions. I had a buddy make a mount for my 2005 Jeep Laredo from some 3/8" flat stock in his shop. I'll post some pictures on the Hi-Q site soon.

To control the antenna (and to save some money), I'm controlling the antenna with a momentary DPDT switch. It's amazing, but with my 706MKIIG, there is almost no motor noise coming through the receiver when adjusting the antenna.

Today, I put some fire-in-the-wire, and the Dash 2.5 tuned really beautifully into an 8' whip.

I would absolutely encourage anyone getting into mobile HF operation to look into one of these incredible antennas.

KG4NBL Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2005 17:05 Send this review to a friend
its the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why do I use Hi-Q-HF mobile antennas by: KG4NBL,

“THEY RADIATE and Not DISSIPATE the RF!”

The series of Hi-Q Antennas I own starts with the Hi-Q-2.5/40 RT tru the Hi-Q-5/160!

The -2.5 I had for 3 years, four ea. -4/80 and 3 ea. -5/160 since then.

The Hi-Q-2.5/40 mostly I use on: 40M/20M/17M/10M with a 37” whip with corona ball.
Also get on 6M by tuning down to find the MULTIPLE Wave length of 6M.

These are the BEST HF Mobile antennas I EVER used!

These antenna are traveling with me in my TRUCK (18 Wheeler) my boat and in my Suburban.
SOME OF THESE ANTENNAS ARE OVER 3 YEARS OLD AND WORKING FINE, HOWEVER ONE MUST KEEP THE COIL CLEAN ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER, WHEN THE ROAD CRUD COLLECTS THAT IS CONDUCTIVE, AS LOW AS 350 OHMS! When clean the LEXAN coil housing is 20 Meg Ohms, measured EXTERNALLY.

These antennas have been in Alaska in February an off shore of the Florida Keys in June.
I have learned a lot from my -4/80 that I have owned for 4 years: Keep it clean!
The accumulation of salt and winter road grime can create a PATH for an RF ARC when one runs a kW or more.
Remember: at 500 watts there is very high voltage at the base of the whip to the top of the contactor location: 12,700 volts!!!

All of my Hi-Q is RT’s that is remotely tunable with 12 VDC.
With a CAPACITY switch box and aTW-1 talking watt meter it is easy to tune to a VSWR of 1:1, doing this without looking!
The -4 works with the same whip/Caphat set us as the -2.5 coil.

And now the newest addition to my Hi-Q Collections is the Hi-Q-5/160, these are 10-160 mobile antennas. I have 3 of these beauties!
You might ask why so many: I set them up as PHASED Verticals for greater radiation Efficiency.
I work 40-160 with these antennas since the COIL DIAMATER to LENGTH ration is the closest in this design.
6 M to 20 the smaller -2.5 does very well for the same reason.

With these antennas I have worked out 50 STATES from 49 STATES!!!
All on the 3905 Century Club and on 1893 from my truck and some portable operation.

See my website: www.kg4nbl.com

I will be in Hawaii in January 2006 using my ROTATABLE Phased Verticals!!

For common sense mobile installation one has to have good Ohmic and RF counterpoise so that a vertical antenna to perform well.

The use of Capacity hat a long whip for 80/160 operation pays great dividend, in portable set up one can use a very long wire to come to close to a tru ¼ wl mobile antenna. With 60 foot wire added to the top of the coil, you only use a few turns of the loading coil and those allow you to TUNE the WHOLE band on80/160 M.

My thanks for Hi-Q-Antennas for a perfect HF mobile antenna, using a Hi-Q loading coil.

Gene, KG4NBL

K6SPR Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2004 18:39 Send this review to a friend
would not leave home with out it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
ant is easy to tune works,well,and is trouble free

N9FAL Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2003 13:25 Send this review to a friend
2.5/40 Mountain Topper  Time owned: months
Hello,

I have been considering this antenna for the past year, and finally decided to acquire one for something more effective on 20&40M, something more robust, and easier on the eyes.

I must have e-mailed Charley a half dozen times the past yr. with questions and concerns and each time, he has responded ASAP.

In the past, I have used the Outbacker, Hamsticks, and a version of the Bugcatcher on a mag-mount on an SUV with very good success.

Since most of my HF operation is from a fixed mobile, or portable position, I found no need for a motorized version. I wanted to continue to incorporate a simple, no hassel operation to put up and take down in seconds, so why pay for a motor? Hi-Q (from what I've found), is the only antenna of its type that offers this manual version. In addition, there is more to choose from in Charley's selection compared to his competition. The other companies wanted to sell me a motor, double the cost!

One will immediately notice the A1 design, engineering, materials, craftmanship, customer service, and performance once his product is observed and used. No doubt he takes pride in, and maybe, lives for his antennas!

This will be my last antenna for quite sometime. Listen for me on 17M, my signal screems!

N9FAL/4

WP4O Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2001 20:59 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT ANTENNA  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just wanted to comment on the hi-q antennas
craftsmanship.. five stars. works great even on 6 mtrs. I would highly recommend this antenna to the
die hard mobile operator or for CONDO use
I will be using the STEALTH 3 for my back yard
ops at my Condo. any questions feel free to e-mail me, technical support from HI Q is also 5 star service