Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter
W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $299.95 (installed)
Description: The One-Board Filter (OBF) affords you the opportunity to have both the Collins CW and SSB mechanical filters available in your FT-817 together! This is the option that many, many FT-817 owners have requested. The OBF utilizes Collins Mechanical Filters that are the same as used in the optional Yaesu filters for the FT-817. The bandwidth of the 7-pole CW filter is 500 Hz and the 10-pole SSB filter is 2.3 kHz. The OBF fits into the space where the Optional Filter is normally located except that the OBF requires all of the space in this optional filter area. The OBF SSB filter functionally replaces the Yaesu-stock 2.2 kHz MuRata ceramic filter contained in the FT-817. FT-817 must be sent to W4RT Electronics for OBF installation.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter.

K8ESE Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my Yaesu FT817ND to Ralph at W4RT and had the OBF installed there....also got the DSP installed....all works great and what a difference it makes....I have been a ham for many years and I got super service through W4RT..... Ralph has always answered my emails quickly, and he has called me if he had any questions....he has mailed back my rig upon completion of the modifications very quickly....I could have not received any better service than what Ralph has given me.....his products and service are number one, and I will again do business with W4RT.....if you have an 817ND like I have, and need modifications or products for it, W4RT is the store for you.....the prices can't be beat either!

GM0HKS Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service W4RT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I exchanged email with Ralph Peterson - N5DOI at W4RT and he immediately set my mind at rest with regard to purchasing a 300hz Collins mechanical filter for my IC718. Well, I made the purchase on 27 December and the package dropped through my letter box today 31st December !!!! That is what I call service. From the United States to Motherwell in Central Scotland in under 4 days is remarkable. I cannot speak too highly of Ralph and W4RT products as it is simply splendid and I am absolutely thrilled to bits with the product. The whole customer care experience has been better than fantastic and I wholeheartedly commend Ralph and the W4RT group to you for any future purchases of filters and his other products. Oh, and by the way, no customs or Parcelforce handling charges either. Its great to beat the system once in a while. A high five from me Ralph .....Will / GM0HKS

NX0L Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Addition  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning the FT-817 for around 6 months a CW filter was becoming a top priority. After looking into the options and reading about the better SSB filter, I decided I had to have both filters that the OBF offered. It has been well worth the cost and W4RT's OBF made it cost effective in my opinion. I had a confirming email the day after placing the order. The turnaround was two days as promised, and it was back in my hands all in under a week. This is the 2nd product from W4RT and both experiences have been good.

KB2VMG Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2010 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outstanding product. The quality of the filters and their installation are hard to beat especially at W4RT's price. As many have noted the CW filter (either the 500 or 300) makes it much easier to decode PSK signals on crowded bands. As for the service, it couldn't be better. My emails were answered promptly and when I made a mistake and overpaid for shipping, my money was refunded before I even knew I had overpaid. Kudos W4RT.

Bob
KB2VMG

N4SRQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2010 12:02 Send this review to a friend
OBF w/FT-817 PSK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the OBF installed on my FT-817ND. There is some improvement with the 2.3 mechanical filter on SSB. Standing alone I don't know if I would recommend it over the original ceramic one. Now the 300 is a different story, not just for CW, but for PSK and the other digital modes. A nice way to cut out the clutter. As my son would say, it's like having your private chat room. A very worthwhile product. If you are only going to install one filter, I recommend the 300.
73, N4SRQ Stephen

KD5KC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 23:32 Send this review to a friend
OBF & FT-817  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The installation was a chore, and a story for another time. But this review isn't about installing them - it is about using the filters.

I have the OBF-817 with the Collins 500 hz CW filter and the Collins SSB filter. They were installed shortly after I got the new FT-817ND.

On SSB it is hard for my ears to detect any difference at all for receiving. However, several friends who know my voice well say I sounded much "fuller" with the Collins SSB filter. When using a 5-watt radio, that is important. From that standpoint alone it was worth it. In addition, I did an A/B with the OBP speech processor. All my friends agreed that it made a huge difference with the FT-817.

As a side-note, the 500hz CW filter really makes a difference on CW. Although CW isn't my mode, I do play sometimes. It would be much more difficult without the filter. The 300 hz might have been a better choice, but I got the 500 and that is that.

Overall - 100% satisfied.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Super! I installed it my IC-703  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did it myself, but would certainly send it to the fine folks at the factory to have it done next time. It's a bit of a challenge to desolder the original SSB filter. At least for me, with limited equipment, it was a challenge. But, as usual perseverance and a big hammer paid off, and the IC-703 now has some high quality Collins stuff under the hood! SSB does seem a bit less "edgy" to listen to, but it could be power of suggestion. 500Cy CW filter is the cat's meow. All in all, a good product.

KJ4DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Superb work and service !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my IC-703plus to W4RT for the One-Board Filter modification. These folks answered every email and every question within a couple of hours. I sent the radio in on Monday night -- I had it back by Thursday night !! Top-notch customer service -- they don't treat you like an inconvenience. Highly recommended.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 20:17 Send this review to a friend
OBF for FT817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the filters for CW and SSB on separate boards
when I contacted W4rt Barry W4WB immediatly
accepted to use my filters to make a one board
version for a minimal fee.

Fast turn around and quality work. The installation
directions are very clear.
The SSB makes only a difference when other stations
are close to the frequency. The CW filter makes a
very noticeable difference. Well worth the money.

PE1HZG Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2007 07:02 Send this review to a friend
DIY version fine too  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Enough people have commented on the filters. Let me comment on installing the DIY version of the board in the FT817:
Instructions were clear, and with the right tools (Weller WTCP with 5mm nr 7 tip, to allow for sufficient heat transfer), and some solder wick, removing the old filter was a breeze.
Remember to first wet the solder contacts with some solder, so that the wick can do it's work.
With a bit of patience, the old filter just dropped on the bench with a soft plop.

For the OBF, I made a small modification to make the wires get out on the bottom of the board, instead of the component side: this way, the wire is slightly shorter, and cleaner.

Installing the new board was a breeze.

As to the functions of the filter, the CW filter clearly does it's thing, and the SSB filter makes a small but noticable difference.

Recommended? Yes!