Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter
W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $299.95 (installed)
Description: The One-Board Filter (OBF) affords you the opportunity to have both the Collins CW and SSB mechanical filters available in your FT-817 together! This is the option that many, many FT-817 owners have requested. The OBF utilizes Collins Mechanical Filters that are the same as used in the optional Yaesu filters for the FT-817. The bandwidth of the 7-pole CW filter is 500 Hz and the 10-pole SSB filter is 2.3 kHz. The OBF fits into the space where the Optional Filter is normally located except that the OBF requires all of the space in this optional filter area. The OBF SSB filter functionally replaces the Yaesu-stock 2.2 kHz MuRata ceramic filter contained in the FT-817. FT-817 must be sent to W4RT Electronics for OBF installation.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Electronics One-Board Filter.

KE5FDO Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2005 18:50 Send this review to a friend
OBF a Must Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was prepared to put my FT817 on the shelf after so many unsuccessful CQ's. I just couldn't hear or be heard through all the noise. Last week I sent my 817 in for the "works" package; One Big Punch, One Board Filter, and HearIt DSP.

The turnaround from W4RT was ONE WORKDAY, this over the holiday weekend. I was amazed at that. I took the 817 out of the box this afternoon and played around with the settings a bit, feeling my way around the new controls.

Went outside, with my portable antenna and mini paddle and fired off a few CQs just for code practice mainly. I'll be darned if I didn't hear back from an Illinois station. Between the DSP and the CW filter, he was clear as a bell.

I'm just amazed at the difference. I consider the filter especially a must have.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2005 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Big Improvement!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FT-817 designers made a mistake by not including the option for 2 filters (the room exists inside the rig). W4RT has rectified this omission with their OBF. No longer do you have to choose between either SSB or CW filters. If you operate both modes this is the ideal mod. The CW filter is a must for this mode and the SSB filter is a big improvement over the stock Murata. W4RT does a terrific job in turning around your rig if you choose their installation. Quality work from a quality firm. I've purchased many of their mods/equipment over the years and have been 100% satisfied with all of their products and particularly their personal service.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2004 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this filter mod for my FT-817 after much self-debate. I don't regret it one bit. Combined with their Hear It DSP mod I feel as though I have a whole new radio. My transmitted audio is now so much better I may stop using my outboard speech processor.

In a recent ARES 75 meter net I was successful in fighting off bad QRM from a ragchew only 1 KHz below the net frequency (although the IF shift had to be used). I could still hear and participate in the net, and I don't think I could have done that with the stock ceramic SSB filter.

Combining my modified FT-817 with a THP RL50-B linear amp (50 watts) and an LDG Z-11 tuner I now have a low power portable station that's ready to take on the downside of the sunspot cycle. I'm very happy I got the One Board Filter (and the W4RT Hear It DSP).

Andy N1KSN

KB1FPM Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2002 14:31 Send this review to a friend
An excellent and creative solution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I want to add to the reviews below by noting that the W4RT SSB filter really does make a big difference, both in terms of transmit audio as well as in ability to pick signals out of the QRM and QRN. The factory SSB filter is nearly useless in this regard. If you want to have both CW and SSB filters available, this is a great solution that significantly improves the abilities of the radio.

The service from W4RT was, as others noted here, first class. Highly recommended.

W4TDB Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2001 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Out Standing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The One Board Filter is outstanding. After using the Yeasu Collins filter for CW the difference between the two is like day and night. The SSB filter is outstanding. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone. The service by the W4RT hams is second to none. Barry, W4WB, and the entire staff is great to work with. Get one and see the difference.

KF4VRB Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2001 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was debating over whether to get the SSB or CW filter for my FT-817. Well the w4rt gang solved the problem of having to decide by offering this great combo. I haven't tried the CW filter yet, but the SSB really works great. Turn around is very quick. w4rt's products and inovations are the best thing that happened to the FT-817! They are always there after the sale to!

W4RK Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2001 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my FT-817 back from W4RT Electronics with the One Board Filter installed. Early indications are outstanding! The difference between the Collins 10-pole SSB Mechanical Filter and the stock Murata ceramic filter is dramatic. The 500 Hz CW Collins Mechanical Filter is also outstanding and a real must in my opinion. Since I use SSB and CW equally, this ability to have excellent filters for both modes track a mode change automatically, is terrific. W4RT Electronics continues to impress me with the high quality of their products and the high quality of their customer service. The turnaround on the modification was extremely quick. It appears that W4RT Electronics' claimed 2 day turnaround is even a bit conservative. I can highly recommend this product and the company that stands behind it. If you would like more specific information, I'd be happy to respond to direct e-mails at w4rk@arrl.net.