Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | W4RT Electronics "ONE-PLUG POWER" for the FT-817 Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Electronics "ONE-PLUG POWER" for the FT-817
W4RT Electronics Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: The Easy Way to Charge the FT-817 Batteries! No Permanent Modification to the FT-817 is Required High-Capacity NiMH Battery Pack --1650 mAh Fused to Protect the Radio and Battery from Over-current Conditions Custom Battery Pack Includes a Thermal Fuse Tailored Specifically for the FT-817 Specially Modified Yaesu FT-817 Battery Cover Door Large Wires from the Battery One-Time Plug into the Low-Life-Cycle FT-817 Molex Connector Power Jack Mounted on Battery Cover Door to Allow for External Charging Without Opening the Door Fuses Provide Protection Even While Using the External Charger External Charging Automatically Removes Radio from Circuit for Maximum Protection of Your FT-817 Internal FT-817 Charger Still Can Be Used to Charge the Battery Pack.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Electronics "ONE-PLUG POWER" for the FT-817.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2017 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the charger, a new battery door and a 2700 mAh battery as a package. It works as advertised and I think most hams, at the least, will appreciate the increased battery capacity. Battery holds it charge for a month or two. I keep it topped off so that I always have a back up station if I lose power. A great addition to a really cool radio.

K1HC Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Support!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the One Plug Power modification in 2003 and my battery pack finally gave up so I ordered the new larger 2700 MaH pack thinking it would be a direct replacement. Sometime in the past 9 years, W4RT upgraded the type of connector and the fusing so once I received the new pack I wrote to request their suggestions on the best way to incorporate the new battery pack. They replied indicating they were sending me a new battery door and connector cable for free! I don't know of any other company that would provide a free parts upgrade after nine years! Hats off to the W4RT team once again! Great product support! Thanks, guys!

KK5JY Rating: 1/5 Sep 27, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
No Battery Endurance  Time owned: more than 12 months
The pack I had lasted about two years, and then would not hold a charge. The voltage would crater quickly after a full recharge. I rebuilt the pack with new cells of identical specifications, and so far it is working fine. The factory pack has never failed.

The pack received light use, with occasional charge/discharge cycles.

If I were to do it over again, I would use normal NiMH cells in the AA holder, and charge them with one of the newer chargers that individually charges each cell, rather than the pack as a whole in the OPP configuration. You can buy a new door for less than $10 if it breaks due to repeated open/close cycles.

N2EHG Rating: 0/5 Sep 27, 2012 04:08 Send this review to a friend
awful dangerous  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this for my 817ND. Followed all the directions exactly. While waiting for unit to charge I smelled something awful. Battery was too hot and smelled. Clearly the over temp and or other protection ckts. advertised also didn't work. If I was not around to supervise the charging I suspect at best a damaged radio , perhaps fire. Unit works fine with the regular Yaesu battery . Tried desperately to contact W4RT for some help/advise no replies offered. Was very disappointed.

KE7IZE Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2011 14:56 Send this review to a friend
NiMH 2700 mAh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I noticed that the latest review for this pattery back was 5 years old, so I thought I'd write this review for an update.

The current OPP is a NiMH pack rated at 2700 mAh, almost twice that of the Yaesu 1400 mAh pack that now comes standard with the radio. That translates into some excellent battery capacity for the little 817. With careful usage (or maybe a small 12v SLA and solar panel for powering the internal trickle charger) this battery could last you a whole camping trip.

Read the instructions, as there is an initial conditioning procedure that W4RT recommends.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 01:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very nice addition for the FT-817, every 817 should have one.

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2006 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Well-designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This package was obviously designed BY hams FOR hams.

Stock battery pack for the '817ND is 1400mAH. This unit provides darned near twice the capacity for us.

I do not know how many "insertions" that little battery connector is rated for that comes on the '817. But W4RT takes care of that by offering a new door (or you can drill a hole in your existing battery cover door) that enables the use of their AC charger. As their instruction sheet states, "You won;t need to open up the battery door for years..."

Very supportive company...quick replies to emailed inquiries. Reliable shipping.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

W8JN Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2002 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded my rig for a 2 month old FT-817 and new opp . Being the second owner, the warranty was technically expired. The opp stopped working only 7 months after purchase. The guys at w4rt repaired it no charge and returned it quickly ! All companies sell lots of the same products, people who take good care of their clients keep their customers. Barry and the boys earned my business !!! Terrific group and customer support...

KB1FPM Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2002 14:21 Send this review to a friend
A Great Addition  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I rate this as an important upgrade, since it will save wear and tear on the extremely delicate micro connector for the factory battery tray and packs. Well worth the money.

KC2IQO Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2002 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Thoughtful product!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being tipped off by a Ham friend about the the OPP, I opted for the increased mAh (1650) of the OPP vs. the Yaesu FNB-72 (1000 mAh). But that's just the beginning of the advantages. The OPP includes a replaceent battery cover door that features an external plug (cable included) for charging. As the instructions states, take a good look inside - it may be a while before you have the need to open the cover to get at the battery pack.

Instructions were very complete. However, interent access is helpful to look at the photos for visual instructions for the battery, but that is really not necessary to use in order to install the pack. It's a very straight forward process.

The only thing I could say that wouldn't be positive is that despite the free adhesive feet for the bottom of the rig, the charging recepticle for the OPP still comes in contact on a flat surface. Certainly this is no big deal for the purpose of this rig, and is not a real issue anyhow..

MY OPP is charged and installed and powering my 817 just fine. BTW, I use a MAHA C777plus to connect the OPP charging cable to. I hope to report more good news for this unit in a few months after using it some more.