Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | MTS /Malcolm Technical Support Help

Reviews Summary for MTS /Malcolm Technical Support
MTS /Malcolm Technical Support Reviews: 184 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $50/hr
Description: Repairs Icom + ?
More info: http://mts-icom.wix.com/hamradiorepair

You can write your own review of the MTS /Malcolm Technical Support.

KF5PWJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2014 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ICOM Repair Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
MTS was willing and able to repair my IC-7000 whereas ICOM WA refused to do any troubleshooting. ICOM simply refused to take time to troubleshoot any main board components and only wanted to install a new board at $700+. MTS found the problem on the board in a few days and the radio is now perfect. I spoke directly with the ICOM service manager and he told me it would cost more to fix the board than just replacing it. I guess ICOM is just to busy, or they don't have the expertise with the 7000 any more.

WC3N Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Icom 751a  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased an Icom 751a but not really knowing the overall shape of the radio I decided to send it away for any necessary fixes. After reading all the fine reviews on Scott fixing Icom radios it was easy to make this choice. It is the best money I have ever spent on a radio repair. His service was exceptional from start to finish. Everything is working perfectly! Scott certainly gets my highest recommendation and I would like to thank all the prior reviewers for sharing their comments.

NS5U Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 11:32 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
In case my previous reviews are removed to accommodate this on they are both below.

Scot is a consumate professional. Perfect execution every time.
He just finished swapping out SMT roofing filter in the 1st IF and the rig is better than ever. Turns out the IC-9100 optional 3khz 64.455mhz filter is a drop in replacement for the 15khz IC-703 filter. I like what it has done to the rx.

I like how Scot works and his packing and return shipping is marvelous. I have sent Scott radios many times in the past. HIs service and the quality of his work are impeccable.

Yet again Scott has completed a repair quickly and embarrassingly inexpensive. Two week turn around and 10 days of that was shipping. The charge was less than an hour and the shipping was UPS cost. He shipped it in a new box and packed well. MTS is very reliable and affordable. Excellent email communication all the time

This is the second time I have occasion to use Scott Malcom's service. Just the best. No suprises great communications embarrassingly inexpensive. Repaired the final amp in my rig in one day and with return shipping the charge was $63.10! That is a third of what I was prepared to pay before return shipping charges. He worked for ICOM for many years and really knows the territory.

N4FBW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service on a tricky repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my ICOM radio in to Scott for a cosmetic repair that proved too difficult for me. Scott got it done for a very reasonable price even though the repair was a difficult one. Note that Scott is often swamped with repairs and it may take quite awhile to get your radio repaired and back to you. Scott communicates this very clearly and answers e-mails quickly if you have any questions. Highly recommended!

N7ISS Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2014 17:30 Send this review to a friend
GREAT and HONEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent him a very dead IC-707 that I got for about nothing. He let me know that it had many problems but could fix them all. He quoted a price in the blind as he really had no way to know how damaged the radio was until he started the repairs. He even let me know the value of the radio. It did end up costing more than we thought, but not by much. He offered to undo the work if I wanted and return it to me. I had him fix the radio and am very glad I did. Now I have a good as new Icom 707 that is a dream to run on psk31 with a signaling interface. I can not say enough good things about this man...

N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Super Service Tech!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well its time to say some more great things about Scott Malcolm. My IC-703 developed a few issues which were stumping the both of us. And just to be cantankerous, he rig would not perform for me but was on its best behavior when I sent it to Scott. He ran the rig for extended periods until the rig finally hiccuped. Scott corrected a couple of problems and since he returned the rig to me, I have made some great QRP contacts with all over the U.S. and with Canada, Slovenia, Jamaica, Brazil, and the Canary Islands to date. So thanks MTS for your diligent efforts to keep my IC-703 operating as it should! Scott Malcolm is a super technician and super nice guy (oh and super rates on the repairs too!). Thanks MTS!

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave Scott one of the hardest Radios to fix, an Icom IC-7000 that had major ESD damage to the front end of the radio and the Tx section. It was truly a case were Icom would have told me without hesitation that I needed a new board, but Scott fixed it! Scott was personable, professional and very responsive to my emails. While I know the 7000 is not one of his favorite radios to work on and who can blame him with all it's microscopic components on both sides of a 4 layer board he still took on the task and for that I thank him. He saved me a good deal of money and was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Look no further if your in need of repairs.

KB1OIQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My IC-703 was not generating any power on transmit, so I first contacted MTS and then mailed my radio. The process was painless via email and PayPal. My radio was returned exactly when predicted, and was packed EXTREMELY well for shipping. The price was very reasonable. My radio is working wonderfully! Thanks MTS for your great service!

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 09:25 Send this review to a friend
A 5+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up my IC751A the other day. I had sent it to Scott to repair what I thought was a display issue. I had emailed Scott and from the emails, he gave me an estimate of between $90-100.00 to repair it. His website said because of a huge workload, it would be about 7 weeks until he could look at it. Not a problem for me as it is a backup radio. When he got around to it, he emailed me and said that the main issue was the Piexx rom card, it had a fault he couldn't fix, but for $60.00 he'd put his own unit in. I gave him the go ahead to do what was required. I see by his invoice that he aligned the rig, replaced the trimmer caps, replaced the faulty card with his and gave it a 2 day cycle run to confirm the repair. My cost $165.00 including shipping and packaging (very well done). The radio now not only looks like new, but operates like a new rig.
Scott won't deal with Canadian hams because of shipping costs and border hassles. Not an issue for me as I live within 10 miles of the border.
A job well done Scott, and I've told other hams with Icom equipment in the area that if they want superior service to contact you.

N3QOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Icom 745   Time owned: more than 12 months
MTS Did an outstanding Job repairing my Icom 745.
Yes it suffered the most common Battery /Rom memory failure. But had some other issues as well. All was repaired in the turnaround time Scott had told me. I could not be any more pleased. It a great Older Icom that deserves to be on the air! And I get a lot of good reports with the radio. All work performed and included shipping back to my home! And he also takes the time to package them with great care. Thanks again Scott!!