Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-V8 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-V8
Icom IC-V8 Reviews: 82 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Rugged, 144 Mhz HT that boasts 5.5 Watts out of the box.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-V8.

K7HZN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2015 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Still works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine from HRO some years ago. Haven't used it much. In fact it has been in storage for the past six years. Got it out yesterday, charged it up and programmed in a couple of local repeaters. Still works fine. Robust unit and have no problem hitting area repeaters with the duck. Guess I will keep it.

KC9DGK Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2012 14:17 Send this review to a friend
A 2m Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough good things about this radio. It has everything you need, nothing you don't. I bought mine back around 2003 and it has been an incredible rig for nearly a decade. As others have said, I can hit a repeater in the center of my rural county on 0.5W using the stock antenna while 20 miles away. As a result, I can talk to all of my county and every one surrounding it. Not bad for 0.5W on an HT. With a proper mobile antenna, the performance is even better. I get constant compliments on TX audio with this radio as well.

I haven't had any difficulty programming or operating it unlike a lot of reviewers. I see it as a tool that does its job well instead of trying to cram on extra features that pad out the price. I bought it for $109 and consider it a steal considering how much loyal service it's given me.

M0EDY Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
good 2mtr handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
follow up review last review dec 2007
now had the radio for 5 years now
a good handy still working well
had to replace battary
yes you can still get icom battarys for this handy
easy to program
with dtmf keypad for eqso echo link ilrp etc

SHMCLENDON Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 23:40 Send this review to a friend
The Icom V8 is a plane Jane no frills 2m rig,  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom V8 is a plane Jane no frills 2m rig, I think you can grab it by itís duck and beat a man to death and it will still work, have had mine about 3 years I did buy an upgrade over the stock duck but it works all my local repeaters with out it , do have 2 Dbl A packs for it when the stock packs dies .To bad Icom stopped building this lil HT it is a solid 5 in my book I love it...... If you can snag one with the Dry cell pack GET IT not sure if you can still get the Nicad packs for it

K7GLE Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2010 08:44 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I give it a 4.5. Using with a compatible 9 ah battery found at a swap meet.

Easy to hit repeaters 20 miles distant on hi power using rubber duck. I have not experienced the heat issue on hi power, but I don't tend to transmit more than 20 seconds or so at a go.

Flat bottom allows it to sit upright on table, but it's a bit tall to be totally stable.

Display could be brighter. Manual is mediocre. The functions of the volume knob and the up/down arrow buttons (freq. change) can be swapped, which is kind of neat. Good, solid, simple rig. Great to have on hand as a backup or loaner.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 21:34 Send this review to a friend
excellent rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first rig ever was a Icom2200H.I set up a good antenna and it was fabulous.After a severe thunderstorm absolutely hammered my QTH I decided I needed a handheld, and one that ran on AA cells for emergency use.So I paid 100 dollars at Gigaparts and got the IC-V8.Mine came with just the AA cell tray and no charger.It is excellent.The receiver is very hot and transmit audio is so good that no one can tell if I am using the 2200 or the V8!It garners unsolicited good audio reports frequently.The BNC is essential for easy use with the roof mounted antenna, and used that way 500mw works all major repeaters here full quieting.I find myself using it more than the big 2200 for a casual quick QSO on the local machines, and almost always use it at 1/2 watt.It does get a bit warm at 5 watts.

I got it purely for home weather emergency/power out use, but it is fun outside of that utilitarian regime.I always thought of HT's as toys....but this rig has earned my respect.For emergency use or as a backup rig it is very very good.
I think key lighting would be good, as well as a larger display and a battery life indicator.But for 100 bucks it is pretty sweet, especially when you consider the excellent receive performance and the superior transmit audio.

It is an excellent handheld rig.

73 de KI4WCA

SNJCT2000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2009 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for railfans!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio mainly to scan the railroad frequencies. I wanted something with loud audio, durability and most of all sensitivity. This radio is the most sensitive receiver I've ever used. It even outperforms my Motorola HT-1000 and MT-1000 in side to side comparisons. My IC V8 picks up distant signals that don't even break squelch on my Motorolas!!

KC9IVU Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2009 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Good starter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first radio I'd ever bought. My elmer had one of these and it seemed to work well for him. Add to that the price at the time was about 120 bucks and I was sold.

I've dropped this transceiver. Left it out in the cold and rain. Constantly swapped between the duck and an external antenna and it keeps going. Furthermore, the audio sounds great both on RX and TX. The version I have is the earlier one with the rechargeable pack, but I've also got the double AA case for when it dies. If someone's looking for a good solid 2m HT, this is a really good one to consider.

KJ4LQX Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2009 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the radio for about a month. The audio is pretty good, feels good (not difficult to get your hand around it), decent battery life, works well using the included antenna, and really shines when attached to an external antenna. I am hitting repeaters 20+ miles away, full quieting, using a j-pole in my attic attached to my HT. For the price (around $100.00) for a 2M HT, I'm pleased.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
TOUGH TO BEAT! }:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-V8 now about 4 years or so & it was my first ever HT for any band.The 5.5 watts output on high power really gets out very well.It is pretty simple to program & operate with the manual handy.I see NOTHING to complain about since it has served me very well with ZERO issues.Seems as if my wife paid $109.99 with the drop in charger then & I have gotten more than our monies worth out of it.I bought an ICOM U-82 this year(09)& the batteries & drop in chargers are interchangable between them so that's a plus as well.BOTH work GREAT.Thanks AGAIN "ICOM" for building ANOTHER "WINNER" in the IC-V8 2 meter HT. }:>)

Clayton