Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-V8 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-V8
Icom IC-V8 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Rugged, 144 Mhz HT that boasts 5.5 Watts out of the box.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-V8.

VA2MBA Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2008 07:32 Send this review to a friend
puissant  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Si vous voulez un portable vhf robuste et puissant, n hésitez pas, le ic-v8 est fait pour vous. Je suis très difficile envers mes apareils (sous la pluie, la neige, le froid) et le v8 n a jamais failli a la tâche. Il est extremement robuste et est le plus puissant rayonnement de tous mes portables vhf. Le seul bémol que je peut lui donner, est le fait qu'il n'a pas d indicateur de baterie. Cependant cela ne m'a jamais causé de problème car on devine que la baterie est basse lorsque l éclairage diminue beaucoup lorsque l ont active le ptt.

KD8AJY Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK, so I have two radios. An IC-V8 and a VX-5R. Honestly I use the IC-V8 more because I'm scared I'll break my other radio. I know that whatever I do to the Icom, it can be un-done, fixed, or the casing is so durable I won't do anything to it. I love it! Right now I am on a local repeater with it! It is on all my packing lists, both with a suitcase and with a backpack (I love backpacking). It is easy to use and it is reasonably priced! The only drawback to it is the display. It is too little and if you don't look at it head on, you can't see it. But that is a little con. I love it otherwise! Go get one, you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!

KC0ZZT Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 14:28 Send this review to a friend
My 1st radio ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice rugged hand held radio. Take it with me on hikes and can hit lots of the 2m repeaters from the mountain tops on low power. Battery life seems great, my batteries are not new and I'm still impressed.

Cons, seems hard to view display under certain light conditions and back light doesn't do much, but this isn't enough to sway my going away from a 5/5.

I also own a Kenwood TH78A which I will put up a review of some day.

M0EDY Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 06:08 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hi icom v8 was a christmas present from the xyl
very happy with the ic v8 opens the gb3tr repeter
on .5 watts its 25 miles from my qth
i have use for 30 mins on transmit and its not hot like some handys over night changeing is ok
also go hc45 mic

KE5JPS Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2007 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little HT is built to standards of industrial use. It seems almost indestructable. It has a well buily feel to it, a solid 5 watts of output and the receiving end is just awesome. The display is like others have said, small and hard to see at times and the manual is a little hard to figure out when it comes to programming to features that are available in the radio. Simple features like scanning with frequency edges are hard to do as I have yet to do it. I was going to give a 5 of 5 for this radio, which if you want a very nice radio this is it, but after writing this review and considering the complex manual and programming, I have decided to change my rating to a 4.

N4MWY Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2007 11:07 Send this review to a friend
It is a great little 2 meter ht!  Time owned: months

The Icom IC-V8 is a great little ht.It has plenty of power to work the local repeaters.

I bought the rechargable battery pack and the desk charger for it. It comes standard with a battery pack for non rechargable batteries, which is quite likely the reason that there is no indicator as to the battery charge.

Herman
n4mwy
Mobile, AL

KF4ZMT Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really nice little hand held. I bought one for myself and one for my daughter when she passed her Technician exam a couple of years ago. The only reason that I didn't give this radio a 5 is the fact that there is not battery indicator on the display. There is no way to tell if the battery is fully charged, almost drained, or somewhere in between. With this small exception, I think its a great device.

AK2F Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2007 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Good solid HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does a great job as a 2 meter HT. Full power with direct keypad entry. Great price too. Nice feel as HT and even comes with drop in charger, standard.

At last year's Dayton Hamvention, I went around looking at all the HTs. Came to the conclusion that many are just too difficult to program, with all the bells and whistles. You end up paying a premium for dual-band, and I just don't use 440 much. The mini HTs need to be shipped with USB interface and software before I would even consider one.

Only reason I gave it a 4 is the display is difficult to see. The LCD size should be increased, especially with the increasing average age of the ham population.

KI4PGS Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2007 16:52 Send this review to a friend
very good 2M HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the IC-V8 is a good, durable radio that is fairly simple. the manual is not clear in several places but overall, it's, fairly strait forward, and durable.

K4MWL Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2007 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I stumbled across my previous review of the V8 and after almost five years of use I felt an update was in order.

My previous gripes (battery charger, manual, backlighting) are still valid, but I have learned to live with those. The service this radio has given me warrants a rating better than the 4 I gave it previously. I have used this rig for ARES work, while camping, and as my primary mobile rig and it has never let me down under reasonable circumstances. (Asking the rubber duck to get me into a repeater 15 miles away when there is a significant terrain change between us is not exactly reasonable.) I have not abused it, but I certainly haven't babied it either and it is still SOLID. I alternate between the stock NiCad pack and rechargeable NiMHs in the battery case and still prefer the NiMHs. Yes, the instructions say alkalines only in the case, but I have had no problems at all with NiMHs. I am an accessory junkie, so I have a battery eliminator (which gets as hot as a firecracker), speaker mic, and an aftermarket rubber duck for my V8, but with the exception of adding the AA case, this rig is good to go straight out of the box.

I am about ready to procure another HT to fill the expanded receive void I have now, but I will definitley hold onto my V8. They are cheap enough new that they aren't good trade bait, and besides, why should I toss a radio that has been so good to me? For the new ham with a limited budget or the seasoned veteran who wants a simple 2M unit, the V8 is the way to go.
Matt