Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL K9 Keyer Chip Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL K9 Keyer Chip
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $8
Description: K9 is a small chip around which you can build your own keyer. The most attractive feature of the K9 is the fact that your callsign and favorite settings are hard coded into the K9's memory. Just turn it on and you can start sending, no adjustments required.
More info: http://www.k1el.com/

You can write your own review of the K1EL K9 Keyer Chip.

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2001 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Works flawless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As my portable TRX does not have an electronic keyer on board, I needed to make one myself (commercial items cost too much for what it is). Now, I am not comfortable with programming microcontrollers, but Steve K1EL obviously is!

I simply ordered a K9 (has all the features I needed), emailed Steve the data (callsing, preferences a.s.o.) to program the chip, and "voilą": some days later I received my K9. I ordered the PCB too (2US$ extra), but for practical reasons, I hardwired mine on a strip of perfboard. This way, I could make the PCB fit exactly in the plastic box I bought.

You can download the manual from K1EL's site, it's complete and easy to understand, and it shows the schematic diagram to wire some extra components to the K9-chip. Few extra components are needed: 4 small capacitors, 1 resistor, 1 transistor and 1 push button.
I completed mine in no-time and... it worked FB from the first try! I am very happy with this keyer!

To sum it up:
* very cheap and fast delivery
* works great and no programming needed but still possible
* yet dozens of features on board (also beacon mode)

Satisfaction guaranteed *hi*