Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Webster Bandspanner Help

Reviews Summary for Webster Bandspanner
Webster Bandspanner Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $27.50
Description: Mobile HF all band antenna

You can write your own review of the Webster Bandspanner.

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Somebody, please make one again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the Bandspanner mobile in the early '60s. Great antenna. Just wonder why no one has stepped up to make something similar today.

K0FOP Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2014 09:23 Send this review to a friend
This antenna served on land and sea  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently brought my Bandspanner back out of the attic ... I always wondered why the odd color, but, remembered fondly how it did its stuff on my '54 Chev, my '69 Superbee, and, on the after-mast of a Navy destroyer when /MM3 overseas ... it is still in great shape, save for a little pitting in the top-end of the whip.

K3HVG Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 12:59 Send this review to a friend
A fine mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several Bandspanners over the years. I still use one in lieu of the other, shorter single-band whips whenever possible. The Bandspanner outperforms each and ever one, except perhaps on 10 meters where they appear to be about the same. I did have to braze and epoxy the top cap as it cracked somewhere along the line. The only drawback is that its a loooong antenna by comparison. One does have to watch for obstructions ahead! I wish they were still in business!

ZS4S Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2012 20:16 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: months
Have recently restored an old Webster Bandspanner and mounted it on the rear of my Volvo Station Wagon. Receiving excellent results with tests on 40 and 20m...big improvement over my Kenwood MA5 !! Who says old is not good?

NA4U Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2008 17:13 Send this review to a friend
War Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Few radio items from the 1950's still work well today, but the Webster Bandspanner works as well today as it did on my old bosses '53 Ford Vic (running Eimac Twins). I added a 18" x 3/4" solid aluminum round stock extension on the bottom to increase the efficiency and it loads and works nicely on all bands, 80-10m. It is hard to find, but I hope someone will pick up the design (big coil, waterproof, easy to setup)and make a modern version of a higher efficiency manual "screwdriver" that will work great for a hundred years of mobile use.

KG7D Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2008 08:30 Send this review to a friend
High Q excellent mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these, one for backup if one hits something and breaks, and run HF mobile in my truck with the base mounted on top of the pickup box, drivers side to reduce power line static. They were designed to be mounted on a spring,according to the picture in the badspanner manual. which tunes the adjustable rod right on the marks on the rod. I use 75 meter mostly, and that elevates the top to 13' 9" which clears all overpasses. I get very good signal reports, and have checked into net on 3960 from Texas to Washington state with good reports. I use a non conductive support on the base of the antenna so no need for guy wires, handles freeway speeds nicely. Manual says 500 watts AM so amps are usable. I use a heathkit HA-14 amp at 450 watts pep, 500 watts pep shuts off my cruise control, and kills the engine in the truck. I paid 50.00 for an old used one and 100.00 for a like new unused one, I have seen like new and new in carton with manual go for over 200.00 on ebay.

KA7WZM Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2004 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Webster  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a number of different moble antennas and the best I have used, and repaired, is the Webster Bandspanner. Just add a 18" x 1" extention to your mount with a heavy spring on top of it, then the Webster shorty on top of the spring, and the shorter ones work as good as the longer ones. Some like those 10' tall x 3" dia. 12v wired up automatic flag poles w/102" whip on top for moble use. Give me my Webster Bandspanner.

VE6XX Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 02:47 Send this review to a friend
1st class mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Greetings: The Bandspanner has a colorful history that dates back at least 50 years.
It has gone through several commercial productions, & if all is considered it is quite a successful design. Tuning is repeatable, "Q" is reasonable, wind loading is relatively low, & aesthetics are "low visual impact". I own two Bandspanners & have used them for years for various projects, as well as mobile. If an opportunity to acquire one arises, be aware of a couple of things. There are two lengths of Bandspanners. One is a "shorty" that the coil tube is a little less than 4feet long if memory serves, & the REAL antenna has a coil around 5feet long.
The short coil units are poor performers, & should be avoided.
It is imperative that the end cap be removed to check the gland nut & the torus coil that forms the internal tap. These have a habit of corroding due to water ingression & must be replaced if corroded. Examine the fibreglass coil tube for splits or cracks. If an antenna was subjected to strikes these may be damaged. As long as the wire portion of the coil itself is intact, the fibreglass tube can be repaired. A Bandspanner in good electrical & mechanical shape, properly mounted & tuned, with a good RF ground, will hold its own even on 75 metres, with anything other than a good bugcatcher. I notice a previous poster claimed these antennas were commanding $125 in some places. I have sold several over the years in "like new" condition for around $50, with one old, but never used, for $75. I don't know as I personally, would pay $125 for a Bandspanner, but they are exceptional. I would say that if you need an antenna for for 80 & 40 especially, at anything under $100 a Bandspanner is a good choice.

K0CBA Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2001 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Good old antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my old Webster Bandspanner. There's nothing new under the sun; it's the original "motorless" Screwdriver type antenna...I think it was introduced in the mid 60's and according to some old QST ads I've seen I believe it was rated @ 5 or 600 watts (and that was AM rating!!) It does have a couple downsides that may have contributed to it's demise...1) it's pretty heavy and requires a beefy mount. 2) it doesn't have a fold over section so low trees and garages are out of the question. 3) it needs 'guys' at highway speed esp. when extended to 40 or 75.(the upside to this one is people are to scared to tailgate you with it whipping around.) If you can find one in good shape at a reasonable price, I'd suggest snaping it up. Be sure the threads on the base are ok otherwise you will be in for a lot of heartburn.

W5ZIP Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2001 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but a good one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has been around a LONG time. Don't even know when it was introduced. Mine was used when I got it and I put it in mobile service for about 4 years then stored it in the closet for 10 more. I recently started PSK and did not have an acceptable 20M antenna so I put the thinking cap on and installed the old Bandspanner on the corner post of my chainlink dog run, along with a good 5' ground rod right below the antenna. I found the lowest swr point for the antenna, put some pliable sealant around the whip adjustment collar and by golly it has been working great for nearly a year now. No whopping signal to all the world but respectable signal reports from the USA, Canada and Central America on 20M and 15 watts!
A few of these old dudes are showing up now and then and are going for up to $125. Very simple to use and no manual should be needed. The adjustable whip is electrically ring etched for all bands with the exception of the WARC area but even those can be tuned.
Not as easy to use as some of the new stuff but if you can use a tape measure and write down the measurements for lowest swr on your favorite frequency this one is for you. Gerald, W5ZIP