Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | OHR QRP 20 Help

Reviews Summary for OHR QRP 20
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Not available
Description: Monoband QRP CW Xcvr for 20 Meters.

You can write your own review of the OHR QRP 20.

HB9OBZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2001 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig in a small package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought and built the 40 m version in 1995. Later on I could not resist to buy and build the 20 m version also ! To build those little jewels (I am not a speedy homebrewer, HI) I invested a little more of the normal requested time but the kits went toghether very nicely. I had to count on a friend OM who owns a freq. counter as well as an oscilloscope for aligning the rigs but after that work I can count on a high performance rig! The only problem I can see is a pronounced freq. drift for 15 - 20 min., so the rig needs a little bit of warm up before operating. The receiver is very sensitive but also selective thanks also to a well built crystal filter. That's a pity that OHR does not sell this kit anymore. Lots of worldwide contacts are guaranteed with this rig, which covers the entire 40 m band (150 kHz !!!) with a variable cap. A real VFO !.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2001 12:33 Send this review to a friend
hamfest jewel  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few years after I "resigned" from active hamming, I attended a hamfest in my area, to see if there was a small, economical radio I could use for an occasional QSO. Rejecting the ever-present boat-anchors, I chanced upon a very compact,"cute" xcvr called the OHR QRP 20. I recalled that Oak Hills Research was an early exponent and provider of QRP equipment. A manual and power cord were included, and after parting with a few $20 dollar bills (3) I walked out with a transceiver under my arm. Arriving home, I first had to fabricate a telegraph key, which took a few hours, and string up a dipole, an hour more. I already had a small variable bench supply, and earphones, so I was finally able to power up. At first, I only called loud local stations, which came right back - no problem. Becoming emboldened by success, I chanced calling some European DX and was surprised when they came back - 9 times out of 10! In fact, the average report was 569 with a few 7s and 8s thrown in. The measured output is a hair under 3 watts at 13.9 Vdc, (there is a caution not to exceed 14 V). The receiver is a very strong plus, signals seeming to pop out of the noise. A sharp filter was included and does a great job fighting QRM without much ringing. There is a bit of drift for the first half-hour, after that, negligable. No reports of chirps or clicks. My only "complaint" is that the sidetown pitch is kind of high. Current draw is about 80ma on receive and 750-800 on transmit. A well-filtered, well-regulated supply is necessary. For 12V operation, the rig puts out just under 2W. This rig may not be widely available, but if you find one at a hamfest, at a typical hamfest price, BUY IT! A real 5.0 (Since acquiring this rig, I have actively resumed hamming and now own three additional QRP units. NZ5L.)