Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Titan RPSY-201 10-meter Help

Reviews Summary for Titan RPSY-201 10-meter
Titan RPSY-201 10-meter Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$145.00
Description: AM/FM/USB/LSB (4-watts AM/FM, 6 ~ 8-watts PEP SSB) hand-held 10-meter transceiver. Includes base loaded flex antenna, 9.5" in length. Antenna connection is via a BNC connector. Same transceiver as the AH-100 but with 10 meter coverage out of the Box. Frequency coverage 28.000 to 29.699 MHz. Frequency resolution at 1k/10k/100k Steps. Dimensions 2.5"W x 6.6"H x 1.5"D. Powered by nine AA batteries (preferably NiMH or NiCad, batteries not included). Does Includes one each AC charger and DC charger/power cable (cigarette lighter socket).

You can write your own review of the Titan RPSY-201 10-meter.

KB2SEO Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2010 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Fun rig(AKA Eagle Spitfire454)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well gang, as promised, I would give an update after I got a better antenna on the HT. I ordered a LONG flexible antenna, (too long to be a rubber duck, its more like a PYTHON +/- about 3 ft long!)-and WOW! not only am I being heard 10 miles away on SSB and solid s9 on local FM simplex- I worked FL,AR,MO,TX and NM on it during a Es opening. The fun part was, when one guy heard me say "rig here is a handheld HT running aabout 4 watts into a Duck- I had a small pileup! I have seen several folks mention that they dragged a 8 foot long counterpoise wire with them, I find the duck is doing a good job without it..I did try it one day with the base antenna, an A-99, and my 108" Whip in the Jeep both produced reasonable reports conidering what it is...next report, I will let you know how it handled PSK with a laptop and the rig/duckie on a park bench! I am having a good time with mine- if you can grab one- do so.

KB2SEO Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2010 05:02 Send this review to a friend
4 0f 5 stars, Fun rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok,you read some cons already:-VFO wuld have been nice, not the push button,The confirmation beep could make a collie 500 yards away want to hang itself- the original duck is a dummy load designed by a dummy, but- It IS a lot of fun.I have the Eagle Spitfire 454 Version (the guy who designed the antenna also named this rig) Have worked some US openings with it, few hundred miles. It would be really cool if anyone knows a Mod to be able to work CW- that would be great. camping/fishing/hunting/biking-Find one for a friend Or with a external 10 meter dipole or full wave long wire, Even a 8 foot mobile whip and a few conterpoise will give you the world if you are hanging out at the campsite.. the Battery pack on mine has stood up to a bunch of abuse (I am noted for my key downs, HIHI) even used it on a local net here in N.GA. My XYL enjoys it too- she can listen in the local nets and has even checked in if NCS is local enough. Will add more info when the "high gain SA-4" antenna arrives. But for camping, something different at the hamfest, or QRP with a good external antenna, it's a fun rig. (BTW, paid 100 bucks for rig, charger and a few "Gimmes".) Anyone who has tried to make long whips for it please drop me a line, Was considering making a 4 foot loaded whip out of something like stiff guitar wire and shrink tube-any ideas?

KB8DNS Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2002 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Neat handie-talkie! Lots of fun!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had two of these for a while and sold one to a HAM in Hawaii. Both worked very well and the one I have kept works fine in the mobile or walking and on the base. I have the mobile antenna / power harness for it and on my base antenna it works almost as well as my HF rig.
It was sold under different names such as Dragon, Titan and Spitfire but all the same radio and a cousin to the Cherokee. One version of it is quite different as it is a 2 meter Fm HT but looks much the same. I have an ADI AT400 70cm HT and the battery packs are interchangable, I think they must have come from the same parent company.
It is related to the Magnum 10 meter mobile, as it has many functions that are the same. No CW but it is possible to add an external interface as has been done to the HTX-10 and Magnum.
Not sold now but can be found used for sale at auction and if you think you might have fun with a radio like this, by all means find one! 73 Rod KB8DNS

K2PGB Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2002 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Real Fun!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have owned the Titan for nearly 12 months but used
it very little until 3 weeks ago. As previously mentioned changing frequencies is a bit of a hassle. And the "call" frequency of 29.3 is a waste.
I use it with the telescoping whip and internal
alkeline batteries and clip a ~9 ft dragging
counterpoise.
As an example yesterday morning I used it on my deck and worked 8 stations in the Netherlands in less than 1 hour (they were having a contest). When
ten is open the Titan is all you need.

WA7OHS Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2001 11:38 Send this review to a friend
ok for a low power ht  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bot titan on ebay. they go for about $125. the short ant is worthless. i am using a cb/10meter telescoping bnc ant that is much better. my first contacts were using a radio shack cb/10m magmount on my car in the driveway. my first qso's were ohio and atlanta ga from phoenix az with good reports. i get a kick out of a 2000 mile qso on 6 watts usb. if conditions are good and not much qrm it puts some excitement back in ham radio.

these rigs are discontinued so if you need a repair you are on your own. one feature i dont like is that it tunes the band with up & down buttons in 10kz steps only. if you want 1kz steps you stop and push step button to single digits and go 10 kz to next 10 kz frequency and repeat this over again.

for what it cost and what it is i like mine.
i use r/s hi cap nicads with good results.