Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic D104M6 Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic D104M6
Astatic D104M6 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $54.99
Description: Handheld version of the famous D104 desk mic.

You can write your own review of the Astatic D104M6.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 09:55 Send this review to a friend
The best $45.00 upgrade that you can add to your rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got several of these D104-M6B mics and have used them on all sorts of rigs. On an original RCI-2950 10M rig, I work anyone I hear and almost always get back, "Not a strong signal, but great audio quality!". Not just SSB, but on AM and FM modes as well. Just as a try, I've modified one to be powered by the +8VDC that comes out of the mic sockets of Kenwood 8 pin rigs. It took a while of trial and error to get it right, and to keep out RF feedback, but did it, and never have to buy another 9V battery again for it. (I've written up that modification on www.mods.dk ) . On Kenwood TS-60S and TS-2000, that mic helps me to shine on 6M all-mode. Heck, listen for yourself, check out W5VB Youtube VID's with the 50.400AM QSO with N2MDV. I don't see why this +8VDC mic power modification wouldn't work with Yaesu, Icom, Alinco, Ten Tec, Elacraft, etc. One change that I don't like is the newer mics made in China. They have a cheaper switch that goes bad in it sooner. Still, sounds great, like the ones made in Ohio, but the ergonomics are a compromise. But, don't let that stop you from getting a great voice upgrade that I've applied these mics to.

VA3UMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2015 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I highly recommend this mic to hams using the older classic rigs. I use these on my TS-520, FT-101ZDMKIII, and FT-902DM. A very big difference !
Although I do have the stock mics for the above rigs, the Astatic D104-M6B does better than the stock dynamic mics especially for my bassy-voice.

Try one, and Im positive youll not regret ..you can save your $$ on linears. Yes ! The above rigs with a stock-dynamic-mic + a 400W linear is the same as a barefoot operated with this mic.

KD8GTP Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one used on EBAY, paired it with my Connex 10m radio and a little 100w kicker. I get great audio reports all across 11m and beyond (hihi)

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Great sounding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of this mikes, the older one is more than 25 years old. Its really great sounding, in my case even in SSB and FM. Also it is rather handy and not so big as some other amplified mikes are. The amplifier is rather simple. No compressor, only the ceramic capsule and a one transistor ampflifier.
The modulation has a pitch at abt. 2,7 KHz which produces a crisp modulation.
The cable is made from rubber and very robust. The mike-casing is metall-coated inside.
Of course I tried a lot of mikrofones. Meanwhile I have two of this D104M6, its still the best in my opinion.

W5NNN Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 18:48 Send this review to a friend
w5nnn  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm pleased with my purchase. It is cheap, and it works better than the factory mic. My yaesu 817 only puts out about 1 watt with the stock mic using SSB. This product gets it closer to the advertised 5 watts. It was simple enough to hook up the 4 pin connector to the yaesu modular jack using a 4 pin male chassis mount connector from Radio Shack for a few dollars and a sacraficial ethernet cable - just solder 3 wires, a little heat shrink tubing, and there is your adapter.

I set the mic dial to '2' and the FT-817 SSB mic gain to 35 - good results for me.

KB6LED Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2012 12:40 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: months
For the cost this is an all-around great mic, I paired one up with my Kenwood TS-480HX and it gives nice punchy audio that really seems to cut through when band conditions are poor. The Astatic D104M6 is a great value and you can find them new online for $30 to $40 price range.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 18:51 Send this review to a friend
nice mobile mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
used one and still have it with a 2510 in the mobile and it worked good. 73

M0CRU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2011 03:34 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i was about to buy a yaesu mic for my ft100d and guessed it would not be cheap.
Then i changed my mind and bought "astatic", the D104 M6 was a real good choice and i saved a furtune too.
it sounds great people regularly comment positively.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 17:11 Send this review to a friend
A Microphone Made By Dedicated Microphone Manufacturers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new one from E-bay for $39 delivered to my door. It is still made in America - Conneaut, Ohio

Can't tell you how impressed I am with its performance. Maybe it was just a good day, but as soon as I got a modular plug on it and used it on my Yaesu Ft-450, I got an answer every time I put out a call. Put in a fresh battery and I set the mic gain midway on 5. Its permanent home is to be on my FT-857D.

The difference/improvement over the stock hand mics is really unbelievable. (The junk mic I got with this Yaesu Ft-450 radio, I trashed after I robbed its modular plug.)

I will always from now on use powered microphones as I now understand what they are all about. And that is SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE! Like Heil says, "It all starts with the microphone!"

Keep up the excellent reviews on E-ham. Thanks, K4SPS

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2007 07:44 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a D104 desktop model and I'm very satisfied about it. Now I got a D104M6.....this is the right choice to make a poor FT817 alive !!!
Test an FT817 with its original dynamic mike and later plug in a D104M6....LISTEN TO THE DIFFERENCE !!!
incredible.....
the modulation becomes clear and with punch !
seems like to have the proc in.
Now I use it for my base FT897 also.
BUY THIS MICROPHONE !!