Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic D104 "Night Eagle" Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic D104 "Night Eagle"
Astatic D104 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: Black and gold version of the "Silver Eagle" desk mic.

You can write your own review of the Astatic D104 "Night Eagle".

PA7WWO Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2009 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great fit on FT450  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Everyone

The Night Eagle sounds perpect on a FT450.
Strong and full audio.
Need to put the mike gain on the FT450 on low and its sounds perfect

KC2SRZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2008 08:17 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIC, BUT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The microphone works great. I've never had any issues with the grip bar. 5 of 5 audio reports with every station worked. This baby blasts through QRM.

You have to be mindful of one major factor with this mic though.

It picks up every noise in the room, near or far. So it's best to operate it in a quiet enviornment or else you're going to transmist all kinds of background noise over the air.

If you can't operate in a near silent enviorment, I would not recommend this mic.

My only one BIG gripe with this mic is with the finish.

I specifically bought this model, because it looked really sexy new. But over time under light use, the gold finish wore away on the grip bar leaving a hideous pink metalic finish underneath.

This was a real disappointment.

KC9GUZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2006 22:17 Send this review to a friend
works ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these rascals and both of them needed the "Chicken Choker"(sorry about the Chicken bander phrase here i couldnt help myself!)mod to work ok. After the mods they both work ok.. I never have used them on any ham gear but i used them all the time when i did the CB thing a few years ago....

KC7STW Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2003 05:05 Send this review to a friend
no prob.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its strange to hear problems with the "grip bar". But this may be a problem with the newer Astatic D104 "Night Eagle" mics. I have had mine for about 7 years now. And never had one problem with the mic. "as I knock on wood"

KG6IKQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2002 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Looks Great/Works Fine (after tweak)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The following simply should not happen with a microphone in this price range/performance standard, and that is why I rate this mic a "4" instead of "5", but I'm now ecstatic w/ my Astatic! (HI HI)

I too, experienced the grip bar problem w/ the Night Eagle, but I decided to investigate. After disassembling the entire mic, I found that I could adjust how far the "pushrod" travels when gripping the bar, in effect, by building-up the surface of the plate the bar pushes down on to make the switch contacts actually make contact. The stock bar evidentally doesn't push down far enough to 'make' all the switch contacts - the xcvr goes to xmit mode w/ no modulation.

I affixed 3 short strips of black electrical tape to the plate and re-assembled the mic and voila - it works!

I've received a few great audio checks and now own a great, unique looking D104.

KC2IGY Rating: 1/5 Sep 25, 2001 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Bought 2 of them. Neither worked.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned a couple of D104's over the years, I thought that this nice looking "Night Eagle" would be a nice addition to my collection. Unfortunately, I could not get a working one from my local dealer. I brought the first one home, and the "grip bar" would not work. Only the "push bar" did. I returned it to my local dealer and had him wire up a second one. He hooked it up to a radio to check it out before I took it home, and that one did the same exact thing. The "grip" would not transmit. I didn't bother trying a 3rd, and decided to stick with my old D104's.