Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Datong FL3 Help

Reviews Summary for Datong FL3
Datong FL3 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $64.95 (GBP)
Description: Variable High Pass/Low Pass/Notch Filter

You can write your own review of the Datong FL3.

KG6TAG Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Best of Analog Design  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This (and it's near-twin FL-2 which is identical except that the FL-2 lacks the auto notch filter) audio filter sure does a nice job for CW. No ringing - at all - and easily and repeatably adjustable.

For CW work, this filter shines against the older (early 90's) design DSP filters that I also have.

I have a couple of different SCAF filters and this compares quite nicely too.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Better than many DSP's!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky to get one for a very reasonable price. The performance of this filter is simply amazing! The ANF is great, the BW filters are very versatile, especially in CW. This box beats many DSP's in some rigs. And the building-quality is unlike any other. It is a pity, that it is no longer produced as are so many former high quality products.

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2012 06:23 Send this review to a friend
This time it's a keeper.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've fallen in love again...... with this filter, it is quite literally sublime, I acquired it from a good friend who no longer needed it and what can I say but WOW! Never been used on speech as I'm into CW but on this mode it is superb. I've had these filters before but always eventually parted with them, but this will be a keeper, I'll make sure of it! I use an IC736 with FL100 for CW and I find this combo with the FL3 is killer for CW. I keep a SCAF in-line with the FL3 in case there is any really heavy QRM, but to be honest the FL3 manages to cope with >90% of the noise fighting duties. A keeper for sure this time.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 15:19 Send this review to a friend
good as dee yes pee shame i sold the last one, what a plonker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i had one of these filters and i sold it and got a cheap dsb filter.
well is sounded like a toilet dripping so i floged it on ebay oh well.
then i saw this other FL3,so i bought it, to be quite honest it beats the so called dsp filters hands down.
So if you do cw or digimodes as i do, get a datong FL3 its the best you can get, nothing even comes close as this filter believe me ive tryed.

jeff m6glh england ps they dont make filters like this anymore what a ,,,TERRIBLE SHAME,,,

NV2A Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 15:03 Send this review to a friend
fantastic piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know this is an old thread but feel obligated to rate such a fine product.

If you can't tune out an interfering station with this unit it's because the guy is sharing the same frequency. It excells at slicing out just the signal you want if there is any difference in their frequencys at all. I paid $175.00 for mine at Dayton about 10 years ago and would not part with it for anything. I have an Icom 756 Pro III but it's digital receiver ain't got nothing on this Daytong FL3. If you have analog gear you need an FL3 wether or not you know it !!

In the DX club I belong to we used to call the Auto notch filter the "search and destroy" button!

N0PL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had placed the unit on the shelf some years ago when I moved and had forgotten about it. I recently pulled it out and hooked it up to my Kenwood R1000 receiver. The R1000 sensitivity is OK but selectivity is lacking. After putting the FL3 in line, it was like using a "new receiver". It is absolutely amazing. I have an outboard SCAF filter and the FL3 is superb over the SCAF. I did a search on the web and found another FL3 and I bought it. I have an outboard DSP unit and I prefer the FL3 over the DSP unit (audio is cleaner/clearer). If you get a chance to try one, I'll bet you will buy it.

K9XT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 21:48 Send this review to a friend
A superb audio filter and a true classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently was able to purchase a new in box Datong FL-3 Multi-mode filter, after having sold an FL-2 many years ago. I had forgotten about the quality of the Datong products and just how well the FL-2 and FL-3 filters work.

I encourage anyone looking for an audio filter to search for a Datong FL-2 or FL-3 and buy it immediately! If you see one at a hamfest, don't walk by it thinking it will still be on the table in an hour!

Its a shame that the Datong multimode filters are no longer readily available. This is a true classic of amateur radio.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2004 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Top dog!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Outstanding. Superb quality and engineering. I don't need DSP with this. My older rig with filters, and this in the audio chain, I bet I can hear as much as any new-fangled (Read EXPENSIVE) DSP rig. And the audio is still pleasant to listen to. If you find one, I suggest you try it out. I've owned the FL-1, and FL-2 also. They are all GREAT!

W9CW Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2003 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FL3 for several years. I've directly compared it "in real time" with my JPS NIR-10 and NIR-12 DSP-based units. The FL3 is superior to the NIR-10 in all respects. The Dual-DSP NIR-12's "Dynamic Peaking" feature is superior to the FL3's SSB bandpass filters. However, the FL3 excels over the NIR-12 in the CW narrow-band filter modes, plus it tunes much more smoothly than the NIR-12. Additionally, the Auto Notch's depth on the FL3 is superior to the NIR-12. The NIR-12 can reject up to 4 hetrodyne tones at one time, whereas the FL3 can only reject 1. But, the total depth of the null is greater on the FL3 than the NIR-12. I was surprised, but that's what I found, and on a repeatable basis. I prefer the FL3 over the NIR-12: much smoother tuning for CW operation and, of course, no digital artifacts or constant worry of overdriving the A to D converter. Overall, an excellent addition to the shack for CW operation, and for instant hetrodyne removal on SSB.

9VTTW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been out of SWL for over 10 years. Recently dug up my average-performing Icom R72 receiver and connected the Datong FL3. Had never used the FL3 before but the results were amazing. The steep bandpass filters and the FL3 internal amp. made my Icom a whole new radio. The auto-het. notch is so accurate and deep that I hardly touch the manual notch. Only trouble now, the FL3 has got me hankering to go out and buy those fancy new DSP noise reduction stuff :-)