Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Datong FL3 Help

Reviews Summary for Datong FL3
Datong FL3 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $64.95 (GBP)
Description: Variable High Pass/Low Pass/Notch Filter

You can write your own review of the Datong FL3.

W5JV Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2016 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Datong FL3: Wonderful Filter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Despite hearing about the FL3 for a long time, I only recently acquired one. In comparing the difference between the receive of my Elecraft K1 with my K2 w/dsp, I could not help but notice how quiet and more pleasing the K1 sounded. Being unhappy with the K2 w/DSP harsh audio, I tried an Idiom Press SCAF-1 to see what effect it would have. The result was a conversion of the raspiness of the DSP'd audio into a quiet background I used to hear on a nice receiver. I was really pleased with the change and that raised my interest in how other filters might work. So, armed with this interest I found and purchased a Datong FL-3 and it is everything I could ask for in an audio front end. The Auto Notch is superb and the CW Filtering makes me feel as if I have a new transceiver. Not sure I can say it slices & dices (as some report) but it is quick to use, easier than the menu panels and you can just leave it in place for a more enjoyable session. If QRM pops up, you just genty tweak one of the filter positions and its gone. Lately I have been experimenting with finding a best menu selection fit to go along with these and having more fun than I have had in a long time. YMMV but I wanted to leave this review for anyone who might have the interest in improving their transceiver audio. Cheers to all.

K7EXJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 07:26 Send this review to a friend
A Must for Older Rigs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For some reason the CW bug bit me (again!) last summer and I decided to gear up to get back on the air. I have had a Yaesu 767GX for over 20 years that was a top-of-the-line HF rig back then but it leaves something to be desired now; especially on cw. I found a Datong FL-3 on eBay along with a nice Kenwood power supply, an old but serviceable 2m and a couple other bits and pieces (for $179).

It took me a little while to figure it out (the markings on the panel are not intuitive - at least not to me) but once I did I was blown away by this filter's ability to slice and dice; at least on CW (which is the only mode I've been on with it). It makes my old Yaesu a much more useful rig on CW.

I see that the introduction to these reviews indicates that the FL-3 is in production and for sale at about $100 US. I don't think this is true. But if it is, then grab one!

AE6RQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Best of Analog Design  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This (and it's near-twin FL-2 which is identical except that the FL-2 lacks the auto notch filter) audio filter sure does a nice job for CW. No ringing - at all - and easily and repeatably adjustable.

For CW work, this filter shines against the older (early 90's) design DSP filters that I also have.

I have a couple of different SCAF filters and this compares quite nicely too.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Better than many DSP's!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky to get one for a very reasonable price. The performance of this filter is simply amazing! The ANF is great, the BW filters are very versatile, especially in CW. This box beats many DSP's in some rigs. And the building-quality is unlike any other. It is a pity, that it is no longer produced as are so many former high quality products.

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2012 06:23 Send this review to a friend
This time it's a keeper.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've fallen in love again...... with this filter, it is quite literally sublime, I acquired it from a good friend who no longer needed it and what can I say but WOW! Never been used on speech as I'm into CW but on this mode it is superb. I've had these filters before but always eventually parted with them, but this will be a keeper, I'll make sure of it! I use an IC736 with FL100 for CW and I find this combo with the FL3 is killer for CW. I keep a SCAF in-line with the FL3 in case there is any really heavy QRM, but to be honest the FL3 manages to cope with >90% of the noise fighting duties. A keeper for sure this time.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 15:19 Send this review to a friend
good as dee yes pee shame i sold the last one, what a plonker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i had one of these filters and i sold it and got a cheap dsb filter.
well is sounded like a toilet dripping so i floged it on ebay oh well.
then i saw this other FL3,so i bought it, to be quite honest it beats the so called dsp filters hands down.
So if you do cw or digimodes as i do, get a datong FL3 its the best you can get, nothing even comes close as this filter believe me ive tryed.

jeff m6glh england ps they dont make filters like this anymore what a ,,,TERRIBLE SHAME,,,

NV2A Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 15:03 Send this review to a friend
fantastic piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know this is an old thread but feel obligated to rate such a fine product.

If you can't tune out an interfering station with this unit it's because the guy is sharing the same frequency. It excells at slicing out just the signal you want if there is any difference in their frequencys at all. I paid $175.00 for mine at Dayton about 10 years ago and would not part with it for anything. I have an Icom 756 Pro III but it's digital receiver ain't got nothing on this Daytong FL3. If you have analog gear you need an FL3 wether or not you know it !!

In the DX club I belong to we used to call the Auto notch filter the "search and destroy" button!

N0PL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had placed the unit on the shelf some years ago when I moved and had forgotten about it. I recently pulled it out and hooked it up to my Kenwood R1000 receiver. The R1000 sensitivity is OK but selectivity is lacking. After putting the FL3 in line, it was like using a "new receiver". It is absolutely amazing. I have an outboard SCAF filter and the FL3 is superb over the SCAF. I did a search on the web and found another FL3 and I bought it. I have an outboard DSP unit and I prefer the FL3 over the DSP unit (audio is cleaner/clearer). If you get a chance to try one, I'll bet you will buy it.

K9XT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 21:48 Send this review to a friend
A superb audio filter and a true classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently was able to purchase a new in box Datong FL-3 Multi-mode filter, after having sold an FL-2 many years ago. I had forgotten about the quality of the Datong products and just how well the FL-2 and FL-3 filters work.

I encourage anyone looking for an audio filter to search for a Datong FL-2 or FL-3 and buy it immediately! If you see one at a hamfest, don't walk by it thinking it will still be on the table in an hour!

Its a shame that the Datong multimode filters are no longer readily available. This is a true classic of amateur radio.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2004 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Top dog!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Outstanding. Superb quality and engineering. I don't need DSP with this. My older rig with filters, and this in the audio chain, I bet I can hear as much as any new-fangled (Read EXPENSIVE) DSP rig. And the audio is still pleasant to listen to. If you find one, I suggest you try it out. I've owned the FL-1, and FL-2 also. They are all GREAT!