Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Datong FL3 Help

Reviews Summary for Datong FL3
Datong FL3 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $64.95 (GBP)
Description: Variable High Pass/Low Pass/Notch Filter

You can write your own review of the Datong FL3.

W9CW Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2003 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FL3 for several years. I've directly compared it "in real time" with my JPS NIR-10 and NIR-12 DSP-based units. The FL3 is superior to the NIR-10 in all respects. The Dual-DSP NIR-12's "Dynamic Peaking" feature is superior to the FL3's SSB bandpass filters. However, the FL3 excels over the NIR-12 in the CW narrow-band filter modes, plus it tunes much more smoothly than the NIR-12. Additionally, the Auto Notch's depth on the FL3 is superior to the NIR-12. The NIR-12 can reject up to 4 hetrodyne tones at one time, whereas the FL3 can only reject 1. But, the total depth of the null is greater on the FL3 than the NIR-12. I was surprised, but that's what I found, and on a repeatable basis. I prefer the FL3 over the NIR-12: much smoother tuning for CW operation and, of course, no digital artifacts or constant worry of overdriving the A to D converter. Overall, an excellent addition to the shack for CW operation, and for instant hetrodyne removal on SSB.

9VTTW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been out of SWL for over 10 years. Recently dug up my average-performing Icom R72 receiver and connected the Datong FL3. Had never used the FL3 before but the results were amazing. The steep bandpass filters and the FL3 internal amp. made my Icom a whole new radio. The auto-het. notch is so accurate and deep that I hardly touch the manual notch. Only trouble now, the FL3 has got me hankering to go out and buy those fancy new DSP noise reduction stuff :-)

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2003 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice little piece of kit !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had this filter about a week or so, but already very impressed. I am mostly CW but do a little SSB and use it along with an unfiltered Yaesu FT840. I have been a ham for @ 5yrs now and I can say that this is one of the best buys I have made as it is so easy to use and so versatile. I have tried the Daiwa AF-606K and although good on CW, excellent in fact, I found it poor at best on SSB. I also find the FL3 a lot nicer looking (which is a factor more important than most of us will admit to). It has a strange power jack setup at the rear consisting of a 3.5mm jack socket - WEIRD!! There are 3 other sockets on the rear,all phono types, for audio in, out, and tape. The front also has a 1/4 inch headphone jack, power is 12V. It is very easy to use but the manual is very good, if anyone needs a copy then drop me an e-mail. On SSB , I find it very good, coping very well with most types of noise and even some unwanted hash within the audio passband, judicial use of the IF shift on the FT840 along with the FL3 usually sees off most unwanted stuff, and can render an almost lost QSO, to one where at least the important info can be gleaned. In CW mode however the filter really comes into it's own, the filtering it gives is not only excellent, but easy to achieve with only one rotary control being used. I think one of the most important features of any filter is that it should not only work as intended, but that it should also give the necessary effect without having to fiddle with the knobs too much, this only ends up with the operator spending more time fiddling and less time working people, in my humble opinion this filter does both of these things very well. Last but not least the auto-notch is a dream, it works very quickly, just take care not to leave it on in CW mode. I think a combination of this filter plus a 500Hz CW filter would be excellent.

M5ABS Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2002 15:03 Send this review to a friend
excellent item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have just aquired this little beauty and though i dont have a user manual for it,i am surprized at its capability.on 40m it stopped a cw station causing qrm to my qso with a weaker station.i use it on rx only and believe that it can be used on the tx uadio too.has anyone done this.can someone perhaps help me with a scanned copy of the user manual please.

I1-12919 Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2002 16:53 Send this review to a friend
A winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The FL3 is *better* than a DSP.
And a lot more cute.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2002 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used SCAF, DSP and basic op amp AF filters. Of all the units I've had, this is the top of the line. Excellent manual, and accurate automatic notch filters. High Pass and Low Pass filtering have excellent shape factors (like a tunable 5 or 6 element crystal filter would have). If you can find one, try it out, you may find as I have, that when all else changes, the FL3 remains on the desk. Regardless of age, its worth every penny.
WB1FPA Tom

MW3MCD Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2002 03:30 Send this review to a friend
JUST BRILLIANT!!.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was fortunate to be able to purchase the FL3 at last years Longleat Rally for 25.00 , it was unused. Well , the perfomance is incredible. I run it along with my Kenwood TS-570DG , and it knocks spots off the DSP in the 570!!. In 18 years of Ham Radio this unit , without doubt , is the best ever purchase.

N2EXU Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2002 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own radios with ADSP, DSP, SCAF and this wonderful little box that sits on top of the Corsair II beats them all.

I got it new in the 80's and didn't do any radio work for a while. Recently, I've become active again and this filter is just great! No digital artifacts, no ringing, and no noise of its own. Select a mode, twist the knobs and enjoy the sound. It has a really fast auto-notch (switchable), a manual notch, hi and lo cuts and bandwidth and band center settings for CW.

I wish they were stilll available, I'd buy two more.