Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-596T / DJ-596E Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-596T / DJ-596E
Alinco DJ-596T / DJ-596E Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $???
Description: Dual-band 2m/440 MHz HT, 100 memory channels with 2 calling channels. 596T has expanded TX and RX, 596E only has TX and RX strictly inside 2m and 70cm bands. Many optional accessories available.
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-596T / DJ-596E.

108ID184 Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Good, well built handy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I got mine as a part exchange for an Alinco DR-635T, which was awful! I used it for a few days, and sold it at the next local radio rally.

In that time, the audio reports from stations I talked to were outstanding - very few believed I was actually on a handy to start with.

Everything else was fine - the Mosquito Repellant System was turned on and it had an annoying high pitched whine that I thought at first was a fault - but just turn MRS off in the menu and it goes away.

The only reason I didn't keep it was that it doesn't have dual recieve - something I've because accustomed to.

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't be beat for the money. Rugged, the right size, all the features I need.

N0VKG Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Good over all  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is awesome radio, regardless if you choice to program the radio via the programming software/cable on a PC or via the keypad. I've had mine since about 2001 or 2002. And I still use it all of the time today. It is a tough little radio, and reminds me alot of Motorola's own radios. I work as a 911/dispatcher for a local police dept in St Louis, MO. And we use Motorola XTS-5000 series radios on a 800Mhz P25 Digital Trunk System. The alinco DJ-596T is tough, like the motorola radios. The only thing missing from the alinco is an orange color EMERGENCY button on top.

AI8O Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2009 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Fit and Finish problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned a DJ596T Mk2 from June 2004 til January 2009. I traded it for an Icom V82.

The radio has many problems, but the final reason that caused me to trade it in was that the EJ47U Digital unit is NOT D-Star compliant. One of my local radio clubs is talking about switching their repeater to D-Star, and I want to be ready when that happens.

Operation ergonomics were OK, but I would have liked to have had the knob on top control the volume and not be a channel selector.

I bought the CBTI programming software and was happy with that.

AlinCo on their website offers a ERW7 programming cable, but right on the AlinCo website it states that you have to download a third party driver to use the ERW7, and further the AlinCo website specifically states that they DO NOT provide installation support.

I bought an AlinCo programming cable (ERW4) when I bought the CBTI programming software. The connector was a DB9, not a USB, so I had to get an adapter cable and install a driver on my laptop to remotely program the radio.

The radio Rx was more sensitive on UHF than VHF.
I replaced the stock antenna with one from a Yaesu FT727 and saw some VHF improvement.

I bought the big EBP 51N battery and the AA snap-on battery case. The major problem I had was the battery case latches were not robust enough. Batteries would fall off after just the slightest bump, such as setting the radio down at an angle, pulling it out of a neoprene case on my belt, or sometimes just holding the radio by the antenna was enough to cause the big battery to fall off.

The radio came with a EDC93 wall wart charger that connected to a port in the side of the radio proper.
You could not charge the battery and walk around using the radio at the same time, and because of the long charge times, the radio would be out of service overnight from after supper to breakfast the next day.
I finally bought a UC-1 quick charger from WW Mfg. which will charge a battery that is not on the radio.
The rubber cover of the charging port would not stay in place over the charging port hole.

Would I buy this radio again?

In short, the radio RF performance was OK, but fit and finish deficiencies are a MAJOR drawbacks.

The lack of a good connector on the battery is a major problem.

The lack of AlinCo support for their programming cables is not good.

In the future I will only buy handhelds that are Mil-Spec 810-D compliant

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio nice price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always said REAL HTs have BNCs.
Well this one has one!
And it produces full power on both bands with good rx and tx.
Easy to program and operate right out of the box!
Plenty of bang for the buck!

KS4UA Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2008 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Solid Dual-band HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously reviewed the DJ596T after I had purchased it several years ago. After a lot of use, I would have to agree with HB9JBD's review. Here's what he listed -

Good points:

- TX audio is reported to be good
- BNC connector
- 4-5 Watts output
(I would add great battery life...still using the original NiMh that came with it.)

Bad points:

- No AM, AIR, FM broadcast receive (not a biggie to me, but might be to some)

- Have to dial through unused memory channels (Yeah, it's annoying)

- Repeator offset/freq step does not change with qrg (no problem to me)

- Poor battery condition meter (Yes, it's all or nothing. Probably the biggest "mistake" in the DJ-596T design.)

-- No REV key for working repeaters (Second biggest mistake.)

I've had one problem with the radio in 5+ years of use. Final amp was blown.It was all my fault. The (cheap) mobile antenna I was using shorted out and took out the DJ-596T and a Mirage Amp.

I had bought an extended warranty with the radio. Factory service through Alinco was very slow. That is the bad news. The good news is they did a great job on the repair and it's worked fine ever since.

After all that, I still rate it a "4" out of "5".

2E0VZL Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 08:17 Send this review to a friend
A well made device and a doddle to use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As my prime device for casual and RAYNET activities I find the DJ-596 very easy to use and quite tough enough to cope with being knocked about. All of the functions are clear and at hand, and I like the fact that offsets are all manual. The DJ-596 was my first radio and it's been helpful having to set all of the functions manually. The battery lasts well though I bought the high capacity battery which seemingly lasts forever. The standard antenna gets me out just fine and I can open all of the local repeaters. It sits very comfortably in the hand and all I have added is the Alinco mike/speaker. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this radio.

G4IPZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2008 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice little piece of kit.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Despite having read of some points of negativity in various reviews, when one came up on ebay I decided to go for it (Having just been ripped off for an JingTong HT by KaLing Shop in HongKong - Beware of anyone called Jason Tong!)
In fact I ended up with an immaculate Mk2 version, high power battery, charger, headset/mic and high gain antenna for 45 (About $90)
I'd seen several complaints about various things including the need to press the FUNC button before the VOL button and then adjusting the multifunction rotary switch. Now that has got me thinking. Maybe they've altered the design since on mine I simply press the VOL button and turn the knob. The same applies for adjusting the squelch. either way it's certainly no real hardship in my view.
I'd also read that the stubby antenna provided is a load of rubbish. Comparing it with the MRW100 highgain (supposedly) it also came with I found it's certainly no worse than many other handheld stubby antennas I've come across.
Performance on air is excellent with good quality audio both on TX and RX. Transmit audio seems much lower with the headset but that isn't an Alinco original so that may be the reason.
Battery life seems more than acceptable. Programming is easy, helped by a very clear handbook.
As for the mosquito repelling feature - what the hell that's all about gawd knows LOL!
At the moment in the UK these are available for around 90 and are to my mind well worth it for a reasonable powered dual band handy.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2007 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Neat little hand-held  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I am really impressed with the DJ-596T MKII. I have replaced my Icom IC-T7H with the DJ-596T MKII as my day to day hand held. It has been a while since I have used any Alinco products, but I am not dissapointed. Once I figured out the layout of the buttons and how they worked, programming this unit was a breeze. I would definetly reccomend this one to my friends. If your looking for a great every day handi-talkie then this is it. I'll probably do another review in several months, but had to put my first impressions down while it was still semi-fresh in my brain pan. Got this rig while at Dayton, and plan on getting a LOT of use out of it.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

AB7JK Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2006 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a follow up to my post where I gave the radio negative marks. The radio came with a faulty battery pack that was replaced by the dealer.

Now I am more impressed. The radio works well with crisp audio. A few nit picks - the volume and squelch controls which require pressing the function button first.

Radio is a keeper especially when used directly with a 12v supply - I never was crazy about battery packs.