Reviews Categories | Electron Tubes | Svetlana 572B Help

Reviews Summary for Svetlana 572B
Svetlana 572B Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $109.00 matched pair
Description: Triode with a 160 watt plate for RF amplifier applications.

You can write your own review of the Svetlana 572B.

W9GB Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Winged-C (SED), gone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Production of SED glass tubes ceased in 2012.

Production of SED glass tubes ceased in 2012 and there is currently no intention to recommence production. The remaining supplies of tubes is limited and are treated as NOS stock and priced accordingly.

KD0JRG Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Tube  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many users of the 572B I started wondering how much longer I could get spares and decided to get a new pair while I could. After much deliberation I chose a pair of NOS SED Svetlana 572B's.
My research indicated that the SED (Svetlana Electronic Devices) plant in St Petersburg, Russia is the world's oldest vacuum tube plant still in operation. I also found that the SED 572B has two getters although niether of them is visible as such. One is part of the filament and it goes to work everytime the filament lights up. The other getter is made up of a titanium coating on the plate. Getter action is indespensible for large power tubes.
The tubes I received were dated 96xx. It came as no surprise when I found one of these 15 year old tubes to be so gassy as to flash over immediately with just 15 watts drive applied. I followed the guidance provided by KK5DR (http://www.KK5DR.com/Tubes.html) for burn in. I ran the filaments for 6 hours without B+ applied. Then just for further assurance I chose heat the plates by running idle current only (no drive) for one hour at about 50% duty cycle.
Following the above actions these Svetlana 572B's loaded up to produce 600 watts CW output on 20 meters. Contacts I have since made have been quite satisfactory.
Many thanks to KK5DR for turning around a 0/5 they "were bad out of the box" story into a pleasing pair of power triodes. KK5DR also points out that stored power tubes will need to be run or reconditioned about 2 hours per year to keep them serviceable. For those who would like to recondition their power tubes with no chance of flashover an excellent procedure is available at www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Lineairs/sb200eng.html.
I highly recommend the Svetlana 572B. It looks rugged, robust, and well made. It performs well too!

WA4YBC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Tube  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought 4 572B tubes from K5SVC and they have worked great. My Amp is an Ameritron AL-811HD.
My amp likes the Svetlana tubes just fine.

PP1OZ Rating: 2/5 Oct 11, 2010 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a matched pair from RFparts two months ago and one of them short circuit grid and filaments, now i replace by old cetrons. We donīt have nice tubes like in past.

PP1OZ

WA0NVT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2010 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Works Ok for Me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a Heathkit SB-200, and have tried several brands of tubes, USA Centrons, Russian, and Chinese. The Svetlana 572b tubes give me about 600 watts, and seem to work just fine. My new Chinese tubes give me just a little more power out, but don't seem to be as well made. These Russian 572b would be a good choice, and seem well made. They have slightly smaller internals.

G3UXB Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2010 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Mine were dodgy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I tried Svetlane tubes in my HA-14 I could not get one of the heaters to light properly even though seemed OK with external power applied to the pins, tried swapping sockets but same tube bad, also regarding the last post I did notice that the plate connection had a smaller diameter than my other 572B tubes, ended up using Chinese tubes that so far have been good

OZ2BKK Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2010 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Dec. power after repl. old 572B with new matched Svetlana tubes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just replaced the two old 572B tubes of my Heatkit SB-200 PA. Unfortunately the power decreased by 2-300 W on all of the operating HF-bands. The new tubes are from Svetlana and should be a good quality, no doubt, because they are matched from RF Parts. If I change to the old 572 tubes, the power is back again…

Does anyone know what kind of problems I am running into and what I can do to solve them?

K6FAF Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2010 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Chinese tubes in my second hand AL811 gave up, although they were not kicked at all.
Bought (Winter 2009)a Trio of 572b Svetlanas from RF Parts (Good customer service, by the way) and dropped them into the AL811.
At 50-60W drive I get a typical 650W out at 1850V. The tubes work better than the Chinese tubes that I hardly ever drove at 1700V and which gave me typical 600w in the beginning, 450W after one year. Seems to be an issue with the materials the Chinese use.

Will buy 2 more Trios as backup, in case they really vanish from the marketplace.
After over a year in use as pile-up punchers and contest QRO they are as new, glowing friendly at me in the night, as just right now.

About 700 hours drive time, no problems at all.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Solid tube, much better than Chinese 572B's.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use them in an AL-811 amplifier. Haven't had much luck with the Chinese 572B's. When I replaced the Chinese tubes with Svetlanas, I saw power go up slightly, and they have lasted now for a couple years at least.

Since they are hard to come by, I bought 2 sets of 3 matched tubes as spares.....just in case. I just wish Svetlana still made them.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Great tube (regardless of all the 'eye ball' tests)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed a pair of these in my Yaesu 2100B amp and they have worked great. My Collins 30-L runs 4 572's as well. They are a quality tube if there ever was one.

My only question, as all my amps run 572B's, is this: I wonder how many of these surplus tubes there are out there? I hate to have to stockpile 6 of these tubes, but I would hate to run out, hi!

73 and have a great Christmas! K4SPS