Reviews Categories | Electron Tubes | Svetlana 572B Help

Reviews Summary for Svetlana 572B
Svetlana 572B Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $109.00 matched pair
Description: Triode with a 160 watt plate for RF amplifier applications.

You can write your own review of the Svetlana 572B.

W7EKB Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2009 16:01 Send this review to a friend
So far, OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the pair I recently bought and tried them out a few days ago.

Despite their obviously smaller size, power output remains identical to the pair of new Shuguang tubes I have been using, and there is no color showing in the plates.

I am going to leave them in the amp and will use it for the next few months to see how they hang in there.

BTW, I have done some minor work on my SB-200: I have balanced the input circuitry so that both tubes seem (now) to be contributing their equal and fair share to the output.

W7EKB Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2009 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Don't know yet...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a pair of these from K5SVC and have not yet had a chance to try them in my SB-200.

However, my observation and comparison of the Svetlana's with either the Cetron's I have, or the Shuguangs I am using show that the Svetlana's are quite a bit smaller in just about every dimension than the other tubes.

The plates are at least 1/3 smaller and thinner than either of the other brands, the bulb is considerably shorter, and there is no "step" in the glass.

The grid appears to be at least 25% smaller than either of the other brands also.

It is quite obvious that one could not pair a single Svetlana with either a single Cetron or a Shuguang.

I'll report back here after I have used them for a bit.

WPE9JRL Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2009 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a pair of Svetlana new, old stock tubes from K5SVC on eBay for approx $98 for the pair. They appear date coded from the mid 1990's. My amp is homebrew and runs about 3KV no load and about 2300V on the plates under full load. These tubes deliver 700 Watts output with about 90 watts of drive as measured on a Bird 43. So far, within the first 60 days of use they just have worked flawlessly and I have no signs of arcing or trouble as others may hint.

Don't think I can ask for more. I would not hesitate to buy more of these. I am glad that they are still available....although it may be just for a limited time as I understand that they are no longer manufactured.

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2008 21:35 Send this review to a friend
I wish they still made them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Heathkit SB-200 and I had to replace the old original C-trons with a pair new Russian tubes. I liked the quality in the construction and thick glass they used. I beat the hell out of the tubes and they took it well. After about ten years they gave out. I have sinced replaced them with RF parts 572bs and so far so good, I don't think they are as well built as Svetlana or Cetrons.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2007 17:57 Send this review to a friend
They do the Job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had four sets of tubes in my SB-200 amp since I built it in 1975. The current pair are Svetlana and they've been chugging along for a good 5 years or more with no problems. Mu is almost too high (28) so I have to back down on the drive, but that's not a bad problem to have. They run fairly cool and I can load all bands including 17 and 12 M which came along after the SB-200 was designed! I had some Penta 572Bs that didn't last very long; one would start to go soft then take out a grid resistor, then "boom", both tubes went. The Svetlana's are much more durable and stable.

KR3DX Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2005 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Good Tubes  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These are my personal observations and opinions: These tubes appear to be of quality design and manufacture. I ordered a matched trio and installed them in my amp about 10 months ago and I have had no problems with these tubes. The only disappointment is that Svetlana doesn't make glass tubes anymore (same as Eimac). Now it seems that the Chinese are our only source for new tubes(ugh), except for old stock which some dealers may still have. Get 'em while the're hot.

Denny

W7MY Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2005 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Awful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a pair for my HA-14 amp about 3 years ago. Initially they worked fine; in fact they only required 30w drive compared to the 50 I normally needed. After the 1st year, I had to increase the drive to get the 500w out I typically run. Finally they gave out altogether in the 2nd year. The sad part is that I am a very low duty operator. I probably had no more than 20 hours total on the tubes. I went back to my old worn Cetron's which still give me my 500w.

N2HO Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2001 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Good tube  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've bought a matched set of 3 572Bs from RF Parts to replace old dying 811As in my Ameritron AL-811 amplifier. For some strange reason all 3 tubes I received had different dimensions (same diameter, but different lenght, up to 10mm!). Mechanically they looked nice and sound. After they were installed at first everything appeared OK, but soon I've noticed that one of them developed internal arc between graphite anode and metal pin passing thru anod and connected to the cap. As it seems to me the reason was bad contact between graphite and the metal pin. I contacted RF Parts and defective tube was quickly replaced by new one, which didn't show up any problem. Tubes work fine so far, amplifier is stable and didn't require any retuning after tubes replacement.

JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2001 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Limit to 2200 vdc!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These tubes will deliver excellent power output, however some older amateur radio amplifiers apply up to 3000 vdc no load and 2700 vdc under load. This tube will fail under these high voltages! Understand the Svetlana is not rated for that high a voltage. I would limit the Svetlana to about 2200 vdc- Heathkit SB200 and Yaesu FL-2100 operate at the lower voltages. Also, the Svetlana is a great tube for replacing the Ameritron 811 and 811H stock 811 tubes. I am not aware if a revised higher voltage Svetlana 572B is available-ask your supplier.