Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Yaesu FRG-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FRG-7700
Yaesu FRG-7700 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $550.00 in 1981
Description: Dual conversion PLL frequency synthesized receiver covering 15KHz to 30MHz. AC only with 12 hr clock with AM/PM sleep timer and programmable on/off timer.
More info: http://www.dxing.com/rx/frg7000.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FRG-7700.

SLW184 Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2002 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have one FRG7700 and rx much better than my Kenwood TS450 !!

Nice and clear audio !

JSCHAEFF Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2002 04:00 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but goodie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this new in '82 for $500! Listened to the cold war on this rig. I love the looks of the meter and clock. Very easy to tune and the audio sounds great. Build quality is very good. This rig has been around the world with me and has held up beautifully!

SORCERER Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2002 19:02 Send this review to a friend
top grade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio about 8 years ago.
I still use it every day, and it can bring in far more than my Grundig Sat-800, it also sounds and looks much better.

GW1253 Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2002 18:56 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FRG7700 from new. It has never let me down. and although it is obviously a bit long in the tooth, it can still beat my other two *new type receivers* hands down. (ATS-909/Sony-SW77)
The sound is brilliant, and the 3 position bandwith switch works a treat. One of the old GOLDEN classics.

SW4DX Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2001 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Still worth Buying  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 2 of these rigs,the first one had the memory chanels fitted,the last one didnt.
I tried to aquire a memory unit from just about every SW retailer on the planet,all to no avail.
However the FRG7700 is still a great radio to use, having said that I must also say that I compared both of mine to several portable radios
that I own,Quite frankly neither of them recieved
any better than say a SonyICF-SW7600G or Sangean
ATS909,but the portables are no where near as much
fun to use,both of my 7700s had been tuned up by
the local Yeasu agent,the thing that worries me
with radios of this vintage is the difficulty in
locating spare parts,like frequency readouts etc,nearly all of the dozens of repair shops and retailers that replied to my by email when I was chasing the memory unit said they had no spares at all for this radio,Yeasu could not help either.

W4DXL Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2001 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Just right size to do the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first communications receiver, purchased a couple of years ago at a local ham auction. My only other general coverage receiver is the Sony ICF-7600D. The FGR-7700 is a breeze to opearate with more than lots of volume and great tone from the built in front mounted speaker. The receiver seems very prone to local noise from motors and TV sets, more so than the Sony portable. Also the brodcast band is not as sensitive. I'm looking into putting up a better antenna to replace the low slung random wire I'm currently using. Still a good receiver and easy to operate. It's very hard to believe this is a 20 year old radio!