Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Oak Hills Research 100A Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research 100A
Oak Hills Research 100A Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: The Oak Hills Research OHR 100A single band CW transceiver kit
More info: http://www.ohr.com/ohr100a.htm

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research 100A.

KU3V Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the 40m version already assembled from someone off of on-line. It runs great. Puts out 7 watts which I turned down to 5 watts. I noticed at 7.050MHz with 13.8V it puts out 5 watts and each end of the band it puts out 4.25 watts. The tone is nice, and receiver is very good at being sensitive. Have held a lot of QSOs and received good RST reports back. Has the dial that requires 10 turns or so and the external digital freq counter. I think this rig is a great deal and power is adjustable by way of a pot on the back of the housing. Very good work OHR!

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Fun to build. Fun to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine went together with only one problem. If
memory serves me, it was a capacitor in the TR
circuitry, which, after a conversation with
Marshall, was willing to replace at no charge.
The radio continues to be a blast to operate;
its receiver is noticeably quieter than most
other single-conversion receivers (which are
already historically very quiet). I attribute
this to the distinct lack of fancy-shmancy
microprocessors.

Buy one for each band and have some real fun.

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 11:45 Send this review to a friend
A BLAST!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
15M version, 4.7W. Fun to build, older technology, sounds like a real radio i.e. no artifacts. Suggest 10-turn pot, ready for internal keyed & digital readout. Smooth qsk, filters, fit, enough audio for small speaker. What's not to like.

And Marshall is there to help - ask me.

N4DSP Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 10:29 Send this review to a friend
The Sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those with the DSP Radio's of today who have never heard what a cw signal sounds like with an analog radio this is the radio. For the price it's a great radio and fun. I hear everything that my 590S hears and most of the time better for those weak signals coming out of Asiatic Russia at 10PM. It is so quiet with no hash. The cw filter has much to be desired but for the price it's a great rig. I use a SCAF with mine and that solves any qrm problems.

Have had mine for 8 years and the kit build was great. The few wires are plug in's and it is a clean laid out build. For 150 dollars you will be very surprised. It's my favorite qrp radio.

I can only speak about the 40 mtr rig. Thinking of buying the 30 mtr this coming winter.

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 05:51 Send this review to a friend
UpDate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I gave a review in October '13 on this transceiver & now I must confirm what a wonderful product it is. Even more important is the OUTSTANDING product support from OHR. Marshall is a true wizard & a credit to the Amateur Radio Community. Just as important to me is the fact that this product is MADE IN THE USA.
Keep up the wonderful work, OHR!

KU3V Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2013 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this off of Ebay already assembled. It is about two years old and for 40 meters. Covers the frequency range of 7005.7 to 7081.1 MHz which is a range of 75.4 KHz. I have had 6 QSOs using 5 watts in the last day out to a dipole up 40 ft. One contact was about 2300 miles away. I receive excellent signal reports. The receiver is excellent since it really pulls in the stations. Also the rig has AF and RF gain dials along with bandwidth adjustment. My rig came with an aftermarket digital readout which is nice. I use straight key with the unit. Very well designed rig. You can't go wrong with this rig. I believe the frequency range can be adjusted higher or lower on the 40 meter band. You can connect your headphones to the headphones jack or a speaker to a speaker jack on the back of the unit. The amplifier has no problem driving your headphones or speaker. Buy one. You won't regret it.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my OHR100 for 20Mtrs and went with the multi-turn vfo knob, installed an electronic memory keyer (button and speed on back) then designed and installed a VSWR warning LED on the faceplate.
The rig is very quiet and works nice. I do have a slight high pitch whine that I need to see if I can remove but even with that it outperforms the receive of commercial rigs.
I bought a paddle key from him as well.
Wife wondered what I ordered from "More Sex", I had to explain, it was Morse ex - as in Expert.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 20:50 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this neat little 30m rig from a nice fellow on eBay.

I can't find anything wrong with this fine radio : a great
receiver with a truly effective filter, a clean 5w CW note,
a pleasant side tone at a perfect volume, and a RIT that
gives you at least a fighting chance to chase DX that
requests "2 up". Stateside QSOs fall into my lap.

I noted that the gentleman seller had a bunch of these
for sale. I suspect that other buyers will have the same
good experience I've had.

KD8OW Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice QRP Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was looking for a nice compact qrp rig for camping trips. Found an OHR100a 40 meter on eBay and purchased it at what I considered a reasonable price. Used it for a couple of weeks and discovered that it seemed just a little better than stone deaf. I didn't have headphones with a 1/8" plug so was using a set from my granddaughters walkman. Didn't play with it for a couple of weeks, until I found an old set of powered speakers from a scapped computer. The difference was like night and day, now the OHR100a was hearing everything and more that my Kenwood 530 was hearing. I added a 10 turn pot, DD-1 display from Oak Hill and a BLT+ tuner from qprkits.com. Now with a 7 ah gelcell and a decent set of headphones I have a nice 40 meter radio for weekend camping trips.

VE7TTJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Fab Rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my very first rig, which I built about ten years ago. Its performance is truly remarkable, its control logic simple and highly effective. Get the ten-turn pot, it really helps.

Construction was well-documented, no surprises, I took my time and enjoyed the process. It needs an external counter for readout, but that in no way detracts from the fact that when it comes to making and maintaining QSOs this is a

REALLY GREAT RIG.