Reviews Categories | Ham Radio Insurance | ARRL Insurance - Seabury & Smith Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL Insurance - Seabury & Smith
ARRL Insurance - Seabury & Smith Reviews: 21 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Seabury & Smith equipment protection policy.

You can write your own review of the ARRL Insurance - Seabury & Smith.

ISSAQUAHWA1979 Rating: 0/5 Mar 26, 2010 13:20 Send this review to a friend
WARNING Misleading Coverage!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this insurance for a year now and it is up for renewal. I thought that this was a fantastic way to cover my equipment in a time where car break ins and other disasters are common place. I wanted to add some of my HAM computer equipment in my truck to the insured and was told by customer service that this would not be a problem.

Well not only is it a problem, but it uncovered what I would consider to be a very dishonest misrepresentation of the service. If you have your radios or anything else that is a line item under your coverage with this insurance and it is attached to your vehicle it IS NOT covered!!!!

I went back and forth on this matter making sure that there was not a misunderstanding but it turns out it is not. Here is a excerpt of the e-mail response that I received today in response to my question regarding this misrepresentation.
"Good afternoon! We referred your situation to the carrier on 3/25/10. The decision to not allow this equipment to be covered is based upon our underwriter review. This is not mentioned on the policy, but a carrier/broker has the right to underwrite all policies/applications and assess the risk of exposure. The carrier has taken a stance to not insure items that are permanently attached to vehicles. All of the highlighted items you indicated that are permanently attached to your vehicle would not be covered under this policy. We recommend that you contact your auto insurance carrier to see if these items can be covered under your auto policy. We appreciate your business."

So basically all of you that have equipment listed that is installed into your vehicle which would be most normal people that do not like radios becoming projectiles or easy pickings for a thief you ARE NOT INSURED!!!!

I am sending ARRL officials copies of all of the e-mail transactions as they are selling a product that is completely misleading and in my opinion is false advertising which I believe can be construed as FRAUD.

If anyone is in question I urge you to contact them in WRITING as to the fact that your equipment is installed into your vehicle and would it be covered because as of right now I have been paying for coverage that I cannot use. To say I am upset would be an understatement.

I will update once I recieve a response from ARRL on thier position in the matter but this is to big of a deal to not let other HAMS know about.

KB7UB Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2009 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Second Review of ARRL insurance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of the ARRL offered insurance, the first one
was very critical of the service or should I say lack of service. I felt I
was being brushed off by the Claims Person I had spoken to. I contacted
Barry Shelley the CFO of the ARRL and Tom McDonough the Senior
VP of Marsh & Associates and filed both a written and verbal complaint.

Mr. Shelley contacted my by email and promised to look into it and get
back to me, Mr. McDonough called me and we spent about 1/2 hour on
the phone, he promised me he would get to the bottom of it and get back
to me.

Both Mr. Shelley and Mr. McDonough kept their word and got back to me
with-in two days. Both Mr. Shelley and Mr. McDonough promised me that
from now on any claim from any ARRL Member will be handled by Heather
Piciulo the Claims Manager. With this assurance I decided to renew my policy
for one more year. Good thing I did

On Thursday April 9th, 2009 my little town was hit by an EF-3 Tornado which
did a tremendous amount of damage, My HDX-555 was twisted so hard it bent
one of the 1 1/8th #8 Bolts as well as bending the tower base and folded the 2 inch
double wall mast over 130 degrees. The Tower, Motor Drive, Rotor & Antennas
were a total loss,

I called the following day and introduced my self as an ARRL Member and that I
had a claim to file, I was transferred to Ms Piciulo who took the information and
told me they would be mailing a claim form to me. The paperwork arrived in 4 days
I had to wait until I could get estimates from a Crane Company, Tower Climber and
the cost to replace all the equipment.

I filled out all the paperwork and submitted it on June 18th, The check for the full
amount arrived today. Thanks to Mr. Shelley of the ARRL and Mr. McDonough
of Marsh & Associates several changes have been put into place and I feel confident
that all ARRL members will be treated the same way.

I can now highly recommend the ARRL insurance

W0WSP Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
While at Dayton this year, someone took my Kenwood TM-D700 and Icom IC-7000 from my vehicle while I was at my motel. I tried to report the loss on Saturday but the claim office was closed. I call on Monday the agent took the preliminary information and said he would e-mail me the claim forms, which he did (the forms were also sent by mail). I e-mailed a scanned copy of the documents requested (claim form, police report, and itemized list of items taken) on Tuesday. The receipt of the documents was confirmed by an e-mail on Thursday. Two weeks later I received an e-mail stating the claim had been approved and a check for the INSURED value of the items take (less $50) would be mailed. One week later I had the check. Three weeks from claim to check is not an unreasonable amount of time for any insurance company.

K9OQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Yes they will!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to admit, I was wondering why I should carry this insurance after reading some of the reports on here. I was convinced that these guys would never pay if I ever did have a loss. Well, let me tell you my experience. I had a rotor get damaged in a wind storm. I contacted Heather and she was very prompt in her response. An adjuster called thereafter and obtained the needed details. Shortly after that I got a letter that said to attach the invoice for the replacement and fax or send it in. I faxed it to them fulling expecting to hear about some exception or somthing. I now have a new rotor paid for by insurance and with absolutely no hassle. In fact the check came so soon that, not recognizing the envelope, I didnít even open it at first thinking it was an advertisement of some type. Once I did get around to opening the envelop I was delighted to find it was a check for the rotor. Thanks ARRL for getting this service for us and thanks to the insurance company for such prompt hassle free assistance! I rest much easier knowing my investment is covered!

K6RIM Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2007 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable Rate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Much better rate than its competitors.

I've had only one claim, and it was promptly paid.

Folks need to understand that, like any insurance claim, your radio insurance claim needs to be properly documented.

Also, yes, your homeowners insurance would likely pay your "radio" claim. So why buy "radio" insurance? Because your friendly home insurer may well substantially raise your rates or - worse - cancel your policy after a claim. Some homeowners insusrance companies have cancelled longtime policyholders after they made a single claim for a small amount.

KN4JX Rating: 0/5 Dec 24, 2007 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Don't Get ARRL Insurance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have payed for this insurance for years and never used it. I had a problem with a power spike on my Kenwood TS2000. Turned it in they said they where working on the refund and for me to get it fixed. I did and they never payed out.

KK4AR Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2007 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor e-mail communication but OK.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My ICOM 756Pro3 got a lightning strike and was successfully repaired by Paul, ICOM South East service center. I sent an invoice copy to Susan, RMPG, Mineola, NY per ARRL's web instruction via e-mail. No answer and no response but I got a phone call from her and she told she would take care of it immediately and promised sending a check.

Since then no further e-mail and phone response. After about a month has passed I sent a follow-up e-mail to her. On the same day evening when I returned home I found the check from Susan covering the invoiced amount except $25 deductable. It took just one month to receive a check. The service was not bad and it is worth to continue receiving their service. The only issue is poor e-mail communication.

KA3MEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2007 17:47 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a lighting strike take out all my gear. I spoke with Ralph Wallace. He said purchase new equipment and send the recepts. With in a week of sending in the recepts, I received a check for the total minus 50 bucks. Mr. Wallace was very helpfull. I for one am glad the ARRL has affordable insurance.

KE5EOT Rating: 3/5 Aug 18, 2007 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Better than most reviews  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The claim was paid in a reasonable amount of time, but I had to keep a constant stream of emails going to get any information. I turned in my claim for $427.30 for a stolen High Sierra Sidekick. I listed the actual cost of the antenna on the schedule, but didn't list the shipping cost and foldover for the whip. I filed the receipt listing all items with the claim, but they only paid off on the price of the item listed on the schedule. This is my fault, next time I'll list every detail. The payment was minus the dedutible, of course. I have no complaints about the time it took to receive payment, but the only response I received was to multiple requests for information.

KW4Z Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2007 10:17 Send this review to a friend
CHANGES MADE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been dealing, painfully, with Mr. Wallace to get my settlement for a theft. I even wrote the ARRL Headquarters advising of my anguish and the horrible service. I called back, two days ago, and a nice friendly girl answered and said "Mr. Wallace is no longer with us". I was also told the remainder of my settlement was already issued in the form of a check, that I received yesterday. I don't know what caused it but the tide has turned and Mr. Wallace is gone. Maybe things will greatly improve.