Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Hammarlund HQ100 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ100
Hammarlund HQ100 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $160.00
Description: General Coverage Receiver 500 KC - 30 MC

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ100.

KM8AM Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 06:44 Send this review to a friend
HQ-110A: A Old Friend for 46 yrs  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first real receiver in 1970. Started listening to the old AMers, then used the BFO for SSB. Hauled around the world for 23 yrs in the USAF, and now just pulled it out of the box after setting up a vintage AM station with a Viking Ranger.

My XYL, KM8Q has discovered the pleasure of operating our vintage general coverage receivers. She's experiencing the fun many of us knew as kids: chasing a station around with the bandspread as the rig warms up, learning to tune an SSB signal, and doing a little AM broadcast Dxing in the wee hours of the morning.

Obviously it's not a Flex 6700, but it's still mint and after an alignment, it's good enough to bring back fond memories.

K2YWE Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2015 11:50 Send this review to a friend
100A had separate BFO  Time owned: months

To address W6WUH's comment that the HQ-100 had a BFO. The actual case is both yes and no:

-The HQ-100A had a separate BFO. However the HQ-100 did not . . .
-The HQ-100 relied on using the Q-multiplier as a BFO. The Op had to tune to the Q-Mult to the point of oscillation.

W6WUH Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Most Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
HQ-100. This is a 4 band General Coverage Receiver circa 1960 and has to be compared with that in mind. Comparing to a Hamband Only Reciever or 2B / Collins is pointless..Hallicrafters is Junk at same price point from same period. Here are the Pros:

0 Solid mechanical construction with no microphonics.

0 High quality components like ceramic tubular trimmers.

0 No cheap paper capacitors ! The only electrolytics are the power supply filter caps.

0 Common Tube Types. 6BZ6 RF amp works well all the way to 30 Mc.

0 Serious stability allows drift free SSB reception. Better than most G.C. radios including common solid state types like R.S DX-160

0 Cleaning ( tube sockets and pins, controls, switches, and tube testing / replacement is probably all it will take to get this working again.

0 Q Multiplier is a Good Feature, once you learn to use it.

0 Does have a BFO.. despite comments otherwise.

Cons:

0 Single Conversion means there are images that are part of the design.. and you have to live with them.

0 Dial precision was made with AM in mind.. so 5 or 10 KHz (KC) is good as you get.. worse as you you go up.

0 SSB or CW on 10 m.. touchy at best. But this is NOT a Ham Band Reciever.. that's the HQ-110.

Note Well... the IF cans in ALL these recievers have mica padders which are just leaves of mica and silvered mica pressed together.. and essentially Open To The Atmosphere. They are Often Bad.. even in Mint Looking Recievers ( time Jackson.. is not your friend). This results in mysteriously DEAD recievers. Cure is to remove the mica leaves, and solder ceramic silver mica fixed caps outboard on the IF can pins.

N2KPE Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Classic Looks  Time owned: more than 12 months
PLEASE NOTE: many of the reviews here are for the HQ-100A, NOT the HQ-100, which does NOT have a BFO. That said, I;ve had mine for at least 20 years. I haven't used it for a long time, but recently fired it up. It has no upgrades, but I was amazed at how well it works considering. Add to the performance is a really great classic look.

N6SFC Rating: 2/5 Mar 13, 2011 03:16 Send this review to a friend
NEEDS FUSE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just brought this little beauty home from the hamfest and opened it up to find black stuff splattered all over the place under the chassis around the power transformer. For some reason, Hammarlund decided to save 50 cents and not put a fuse in the power line. How sad.

I strongly advise all HQ-100/HQ-100A owners to fuse the hot side of your line cord with a 1 amp slo-blo fuse. Since those line cords are 2-wire and non polarized, it would also be a great idea to remove the entire line cord and replace it with a 3-wire 18 gauge molded cord set. You'll need to ream out the hole to 1/2" and install a larger strain relief. There is plenty of room next to the line cord entry to install a panel mounted fuse holder.

My heart sank when I saw that fire damage inside this otherwise nice radio. Don't let this happen to you. It could burn your house down, too. FUSE IT OR LOSE IT!

KD0JRG Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 09:15 Send this review to a friend
it's a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 30 years away from the SWL hobby I decided to get a tube radio and pick up where I left off. I liked the good looks of the Hammarlund and was confident HQ-100A circuits would have performance to match. I won mine on ebay.
Even as I unwrapped it I could see the classic good looks. But would it perform? In initial testing it was dead on frequencies over 25 mHz and performance was poor in all major aspects. Re-soldering all joints associated with the 10-30 Mc LO tank circuit solved the first problem. The remaining issues came from severe misalignment, evidently by a previous owner. Following manufacture's instructions, I aligned all tanks with the aid of an HP-8640B, a General Radio 1840A and non-metallic tools.
The results were very pleasing. After wards just .5 uv yielded a 6db S+N/N ratio and image rejection came in around 30 db. Variable IF selectivity (with the Q-multiplier) was from .3 to 3kHz. Fixed IF selectivity was 6kHz. All this was done in 2006 and no alignment has been needed since. I did replace one gassy tube in 2010.
So, back to the performance question. In casual DX'ing I have heard 29 countries using an attic dipole. After thorough warm-up SSB is excellent and essentially drift free provided the radio is placed on a firm surface. In fact, thus far, anything I have heard on my more modern SSB rig has also been heard on the Hammarlund when I have cross checked the two. Others have mentioned the rich audio and I certainly agree.
In conclusion, this is my daily user for BC AM and SW DX as well as a spotter and monitor for SSB. Simply put, if you see this radio on the market, it's only because it is part of my estate!

W3QY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 12:27 Send this review to a friend
very good ol' timer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my HQ-100A several years ago, almost mint condition, with the manual and even have the original box (albeit a bit worn). It's been my daily user when I'm home, mostly for the AM band.. it has nice tube audio. Everything works as laid out..even my clock/timer.. and except for just a slight tinge of yellowing on the bandspread dial it has that "out of the box" look. Mine was apparently used by the US government as the manual has a gov't stamp dated
"Sept.30, 1965.
A few minutes of warmup and it's stable..wanted one as a young ham back in 1965. I enjoy it everyday..the first day I brought it home (it was early morning as I recall) I hooked a piece of wire to the antenna terminals, plugged in my headphones and tuned to the low end of 40m CW where I heard one hellacious pileup for a semi-rare DX station in the Pacific..I heard him quite well with a few feet of wire.
Don't know that I'll part with it anytime soon..

W3DBJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Good bang for the boatanchor buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The BFO is a little weak, but with a few minor changes, is a great workable rx solution for SSB/CW.

AM performance, with the matching speaker, is phenomenal, one of the best rigs for audio quality I've had the pleasure of owning.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Good RX in its day!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one in 1963 when I upgraded from Novice to General. Wish I kept it! I can't figure out OLDSWAB's problem. I suspect he didn't have a manual. The RX didn't have a BFO per say. You used the Q-Multiplier as a BFO by making it regenerative. You varied the amount of regeneration with signal strength to prevent overload and audio distortion.

At any rate, I bought an old one on eBay over a year ago that didn't work. Replaced an IF transformer a bunch of caps and resistors along with a tube or 2 and BINGO, it works like new! I find it very pleasurable listening to the BC band and some of the short-wave BC stations. I'm also using it in my boat anchor setup with an HT-40 on AM.

It is still a great receiver!

K5ENA Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2008 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an HQ-100 as my Novice receiver in 1960. A vast improvement over my National SW-54 I used before I got my ticket. Excellent receiver for its day. The HQ-100 and DX-20 was my Novice station.

K5ENA