Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Hammarlund HQ100 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ100
Hammarlund HQ100 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $160.00
Description: General Coverage Receiver 500 KC - 30 MC

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ100.

N4AUD Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2008 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HQ-100A is a fine receiver, especially for SW listening. AM is great right off the bat, it needs to warm up a while and stop drifting for CW/SSB use. That's what the clock is supposed to be for, BTW, but I have never used it that way. Good audio, everything works like it's supposed to work. I really can't find fault with it. It's not a modern solid state digital wonder, but that's exactly why I bought it. Good sensitivity, good selectivity when you use the controls properly and let it warm up properly.
KA6OTJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
very good for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also own an HQ-100 which I recieved new in 1957. Yep over 50 years old. It cost $169.00 (on special) I specificly remember not being able to afford the extra $9.95 for the clock since I chose to get the matching speaker which was $14.95. This receiver is what sparked my interest in Ham radio and to chase the dream of one day becoming a ham which of course I did. The radio still works and I have never replaced any tubes or part in it. It is due for a good alignment becuase it is starting to drift quite a bit which indcates a tube problem but over all it has been a great radio for me and compares favorably with my Yaesu FRG-7. If you are a boat anchor kind of guy you will enjoy this rig also.
W2WHT Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2007 09:12 Send this review to a friend
an old friend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my HQ-100C for over 30 years. I finally had it "tuned up" last year. It is a solid, decently sensitive and easy to use unit. I have had to replace only a couple of tubes after all this time. I have used this unit for DX and ham listening. Once warmed up, it is very stable and does not drift. The analog tuning actually makes scanning a band much easier, and you can pick out distant signals far easier than you can with some of the current $100-$200 shortwave receivers on the market. This unit harkens from the early 60ís, and is completely US made.
For what I have paid, I have gotten many times my investment in return. I would choose to continue to own this unit even if I had newer and far "better" receivers (which I do). Maybe becoming familiar with an old tube type receiver makes you come to respect the history and heritage of worldwide and ham radio all the more.
KC2OZK Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2006 09:51 Send this review to a friend
a solid sw radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my hammarlund for almost 20 years. It has been in and out of storage many times as my life and interests have changed. It has worked very well. I use a high quality speaker for audio, and it sounds great. I would be aliar if I were to not also mention there have been two times where I needed to send it out for repair. This is mostly due to not having access to a tube tester. If you look at the circuitry in this radio, it is built like a tank. I have two other solid state Shortwave receivers (sangean) and the Hammarlund simply is superior in all ways, especially in dxing. I am keeping mine, and if another of this type shows up, I would buy it if the price is right.
W2CBK Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2005 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice AM receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice receiver for casual SWLing. I use it mostly to monitor 75M AM. With the matching speaker, it has a nice, rich "tube sound." Solid build.

Not 21st century technology, but a nice radio.
W8EJO Rating: 3/5 Oct 9, 2001 19:06 Send this review to a friend
A good, low cost receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the HQ 100 for about 6 months and am suprised at it's good quality audio and it's outstanding sensitivity all the way down to 30 MC.
I bought it at a garage sale for $25 which included the separate speaker. It hadn't been fired up for many years, but has worked fine for me. I use it daily for A.M broadcast, foreign shortwave broadcast and to monitor 10 and 15 meter activity. It has dual built in "Q" multiplier circuits which work to reduce QRM. One of the Q multipliers works on AM only and the second works when the BFO is turned on for CW & SSB. It also has a built in 12 hour analog clock.

It's also built like a tank.