Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO2 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO2
ICOM IC-756PRO2 Reviews: 147 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2969.95 Street
Description: HF+6m Transceiver
More info: http://WWW.ICOMAMERICA.COM

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO2.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2014 13:57 Send this review to a friend
BEST RADIO I'VE EVER USED.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
And I've had quite a few. I have to say those who have had major problems with their pro2 must have been due to user error. One fellow even said he had 3 of these rigs go bad on him. What does that tell ya? USER ERROR!!!!
Do not hesitate to get one of these fine radios, you will love it.

N7RST Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Still a big bang for the buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't go into all the pros and cons, but suffice it to say, I have had the PRO and it was great, not a contest radio but who contests 24/7? In a contest, I work just fine. I love teh 1000MPMK5 and it is and will always be my benchmark. The PRO2 is a set up from the Pro to be certain. A great workhorse and great performer. The Pro3 isn't worth the hype as in my honest opinion, the PRO2 is every bit as good (look at the specs) and for a few lesser bucks. I wish though the Power Control was a larger control and the squelch was a smaller control (who really ever uses squelch on an HF/6 radio I wonder).

If you can get a PRO2 for a resonable price, (I am currently getting another PRO2), get it. You won't be disappointed.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Rig ..2nd time around..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 2nd one I've owned, the first only very very briefly and had only a short time to evaluate it.

Have this one for a little over a month now & am really enjoying the DSP, NB, NR etc. The scope is a great way to pick off multiple contacts quickly. Menus are not that daunting, most are set and forget once you adjust them to your liking. Controls are relatively intuitive. Great receive and even on noisy or crowded bands, the DSP voodoo does it's thing.

Given the above, I'm quite happy with the rig. Just counted the # of rigs I've owned in 4.7 years, this one's the best so far...hopefully my buying bug doesn't bite for awhile... HI

Of course if some one wants to trade even up for a IC-7700 maybe I'll bite...HI HI..

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 09:33 Send this review to a friend
A Good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not real sure what is trying to be said in the below post. I think that the proII cant be firmware upgraded?

In any case, here is my experience with my proII.

Bought it second hand, last June. Was a bit daunted on gaining this radio before hand, on the possible complexity of this radio. I needn't have worried.

Whilst it has menu's, they are but a trifle compared to a lot of radios. So easy to run this radio yet it has most of the things you need at hand for easy access, without having to dig into the depths of a menu system.

Plus that fabulous colour screen! And the Spectrum Display. Didn't think I'd really use that particular function, but turned out I use it ALL the time. In fact I now know why the ProIII and 7600 etc. are so popular. Particularly, to ex 756 users.

The tuner is great, has no issue tuning my 80/40 dipole. The analogue needle is also great, you simply cant really beat an old school needle that moves physically. Although of course it does have a digital representative if you so desire.

The DSP function on the Icoms I feel are simply the best. No menu's here, A nice knob for ease of use and just adjust as needed. And it works very well.

These radios are good, really good, and seeing how much they still get on the second hand market is an indication that other people also think the same. The proII is getting on now, but if you come across a decent condition one, or even better a late model proIII, GRAB it! You will keep it upfront in the shack for sure. They look good, they work well, and no need for a computer degree to work the thing.

CT4WEP Rating: 2/5 Jun 25, 2012 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Is very "BEAUTIFUL" but It is worth anyting..!!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had an ICON 756 PROII for a year and as you all know, the problems of custume, lacking power, heating etc etc ... And now I bought a Kenwood TS-590s and now I'm so happy, it has nothing to do one thing to another, is much better, much cleaner, with much better performance in the RX and TX, which has no comparison possible, also very good and many more functions which the IIP, and yet some say that the PII is compared with K3 please, I think the TS-590s is that they are on an equal footing with the K3 does not Pll. Anyway ...! Plus with all the updates to TS-590s suffered, already has said that many problems such as the power and etc etc .... And since I speak in the Pll updates will always be the same radio, because you never will not pass it, or updates can be made in the OIP. So for all those who have the PII or PIII, unfortunately going to have some problems in manufacturing and there is very little to do to resolve them, can always be solved, but the type or have to go out with little power to not burn, or else they burn to pull it.

W5VK Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2012 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this radio for many years and it's always worked as advertised. It's not the greatest CW rig, not the greatest reciever on the market, not the best at anything.... cept it does a lot of things very well, is dependable and very reasonably priced. I've used over 30 transceivers in my ham career and this is as good as I've used.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Finally!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I sold my faithful Kenwood TS-850s several years back. Have tried more than a few rigs since then, and NONE could fill it's shoes. Until now. Folks, the Pro series will fulfill that longing you have for the old 850.... or 950 ... or 930... you get the picture! I don't operate in contests, but do get on when the band is crowded with stations, and QRN. She handles it well, with judicious use of her various bandwidth, shift, DSP, AGC, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, RF gain adjustments. I think she has found a permanent home, and I can FINALLY stop kicking myself for selling the Kenwood!!

CT1EWX Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 09:14 Send this review to a friend
My favorite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During some yaers of amateur radio,I had the oportunity to have some rigs, the moment I have the ICOM IC-756PRO2, this is the best, not perfect, but very good, my previous radios were, ICOM IC-746, IC-7400, Kenwoods: 140,690,850,870,950SDX,2000,Yaesu:1000MP,(good too) 1000MPmarkv field.
bye, 73
SÚrgio,ewx

K7ZOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Mine is great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had (2)IC-756 classics, and at present a IC-7200, Maxed out K2/100 and IC-706mkIIG. Over the past 5 yrs I have had dozens of ICOM, Yeasu and Kenwood radios. I do a lot of trading. I wanted a PROII or PROIII and my xyl surprised me with the money to buy one. She knew I wanted to see what was so great about the PROII/PROIII radios and even though she is not a ham she is very supportive of my hobby.

Well I am impressed. Going from the orginal 756 to the PROII was easy. But the difference between the two was major. The filters work great. The TBF really slices the signals out. The sound quality is very good...and I have hearing loss so this is very, very important to me. More so then anything. I have not had problems with close in signals. If I did or do then I would go to INRAD and buy their roofing filter option that is reasonably priced. I don't feel I need it. Oh yes the display is beautiful and the bandscope is far better the the classic. It really is nice to know if the band if active and which way to tune to get to people..hihi

The output being about 70 watts is real with the tuner activated. I checked my 756 classic and found it to be the same. Never noticed it before. I called a friend of mine and he found that his PRO and two PROII's with the ATU activated limited the radio to a bit over 70 watts. He had never noticed it before. So is this a problem. Hell no! People hear me. I get GREAT signal reports on my audio. The receiver is hot. The radio works far better then I ever hoped for. BTW the friend with all the radios keeps his PROII on 24/7 for not only days, weeks, months but years. No issues. I was told by at least 5 people that with the PROII and PROIII sitting side-by-side you really can not hear the difference. And if you can't hear them you can't work them. So for the money as far as I am concerned this is one jewel of a radio and I would recommend the radio in a heartbeat. So if you have an issue and are going to dump yours in the trash, get my address from QRZ.COM and send me your radio. I am sure with a bit of TLC it will be great again. If you see a price from $1200 to $1400 or better and want a great radio grab it before someone else does.

Thank you for time and reading my rambling and impression of one great radio.

73 one and all Harry K7ZOV

N0UA Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine! I currently own IC-7700, IC-7600, IC-756ProIII, and others. I have owned two each of the IC-756Pro and the ProII radios. I sold a Kenwood 950SDX as I purchased the original PRO many years ago. Each successive version of the PRO line improved upon the previous offering. IMD capability, distortion in the DSP noise reduction, selectivity, features, and more were improved as the technology evolved. Today's versions of the ICOM digital radios are indeed a significant improvement upon the previous releases. Kudos to ICOM for providing these updates and improvements. The ProII has reached a price point that in my opinion offers the best performance for the $$. However, if you want the latest and best try the 7600 or more. All electronics are subject to user, environmental, and just unfortunate failures. That's the way it is. I have experienced outstanding service from the ICOM line of equipment now spanning more than a decade. Yes, mother nature did play havoc with one of my ProIIs (static discharge) but I had the unit repaired and went on. BTW: I have had very expensive GPS avionics in my airplane fail and the repair of that equipment is a whole other deal. Also, I do have a significant ground and lightning abatement system connected to my equipment as well as full-time power management systems.