Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO2 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO2
ICOM IC-756PRO2 Reviews: 151 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2969.95 Street
Description: HF+6m Transceiver
More info: http://WWW.ICOMAMERICA.COM

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO2.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Finally!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I sold my faithful Kenwood TS-850s several years back. Have tried more than a few rigs since then, and NONE could fill it's shoes. Until now. Folks, the Pro series will fulfill that longing you have for the old 850.... or 950 ... or 930... you get the picture! I don't operate in contests, but do get on when the band is crowded with stations, and QRN. She handles it well, with judicious use of her various bandwidth, shift, DSP, AGC, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, RF gain adjustments. I think she has found a permanent home, and I can FINALLY stop kicking myself for selling the Kenwood!!
CT1EWX Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 09:14 Send this review to a friend
My favorite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During some yaers of amateur radio,I had the oportunity to have some rigs, the moment I have the ICOM IC-756PRO2, this is the best, not perfect, but very good, my previous radios were, ICOM IC-746, IC-7400, Kenwoods: 140,690,850,870,950SDX,2000,Yaesu:1000MP,(good too) 1000MPmarkv field.
bye, 73
K7ZOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Mine is great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had (2)IC-756 classics, and at present a IC-7200, Maxed out K2/100 and IC-706mkIIG. Over the past 5 yrs I have had dozens of ICOM, Yeasu and Kenwood radios. I do a lot of trading. I wanted a PROII or PROIII and my xyl surprised me with the money to buy one. She knew I wanted to see what was so great about the PROII/PROIII radios and even though she is not a ham she is very supportive of my hobby.

Well I am impressed. Going from the orginal 756 to the PROII was easy. But the difference between the two was major. The filters work great. The TBF really slices the signals out. The sound quality is very good...and I have hearing loss so this is very, very important to me. More so then anything. I have not had problems with close in signals. If I did or do then I would go to INRAD and buy their roofing filter option that is reasonably priced. I don't feel I need it. Oh yes the display is beautiful and the bandscope is far better the the classic. It really is nice to know if the band if active and which way to tune to get to people..hihi

The output being about 70 watts is real with the tuner activated. I checked my 756 classic and found it to be the same. Never noticed it before. I called a friend of mine and he found that his PRO and two PROII's with the ATU activated limited the radio to a bit over 70 watts. He had never noticed it before. So is this a problem. Hell no! People hear me. I get GREAT signal reports on my audio. The receiver is hot. The radio works far better then I ever hoped for. BTW the friend with all the radios keeps his PROII on 24/7 for not only days, weeks, months but years. No issues. I was told by at least 5 people that with the PROII and PROIII sitting side-by-side you really can not hear the difference. And if you can't hear them you can't work them. So for the money as far as I am concerned this is one jewel of a radio and I would recommend the radio in a heartbeat. So if you have an issue and are going to dump yours in the trash, get my address from QRZ.COM and send me your radio. I am sure with a bit of TLC it will be great again. If you see a price from $1200 to $1400 or better and want a great radio grab it before someone else does.

Thank you for time and reading my rambling and impression of one great radio.

73 one and all Harry K7ZOV
N0UA Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine! I currently own IC-7700, IC-7600, IC-756ProIII, and others. I have owned two each of the IC-756Pro and the ProII radios. I sold a Kenwood 950SDX as I purchased the original PRO many years ago. Each successive version of the PRO line improved upon the previous offering. IMD capability, distortion in the DSP noise reduction, selectivity, features, and more were improved as the technology evolved. Today's versions of the ICOM digital radios are indeed a significant improvement upon the previous releases. Kudos to ICOM for providing these updates and improvements. The ProII has reached a price point that in my opinion offers the best performance for the $$. However, if you want the latest and best try the 7600 or more. All electronics are subject to user, environmental, and just unfortunate failures. That's the way it is. I have experienced outstanding service from the ICOM line of equipment now spanning more than a decade. Yes, mother nature did play havoc with one of my ProIIs (static discharge) but I had the unit repaired and went on. BTW: I have had very expensive GPS avionics in my airplane fail and the repair of that equipment is a whole other deal. Also, I do have a significant ground and lightning abatement system connected to my equipment as well as full-time power management systems.
VK7COK Rating: 0/5 Feb 8, 2011 01:24 Send this review to a friend
RUBBISH  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought icom had used their brains when producing this radio, call it a dud but the screen no longer works, the dsp is crap i might aswell be listening on my pc-122 and the pwr output doesnt go past 70w, I simply threw the radio in the bin and flushed the pwr lead down the toilet, ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! I went back to my YAESU 1000MP what a delight to use, 5 STAR for that radio
VK7HDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great radio, DSP is fantastic, TX audio is great and brilliant bang for buck! 5/5
N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 17:38 Send this review to a friend
good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i traded my TS-2000X for a nice ProII. I never used the VHF/UHF part of the 2000 so It was not a big change for me. So far i find the ProII to be a good fit. I am not a contester and work a lot of digitial modes. The Icom works well for my type of operations.
SM3LGO Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2011 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good radio, the only issue is (as many others report here) that the RX can't handle a crowded band with many strong signals very well. In extreme situations it sounds a bit as if you have the RX in the "AM" mode position... It doesn't matter much for me since I seldom do contests and I am never on the RX side of a pile-up. My main source of benchmark is an old Kenwood TS-450 which (although not considered a top RX), IMO still does better with strong signals. (That's on the other hand the only advantage of the 450...)

The radio's handling, menus etc is very easy and logical. The spectrum scope is mostly useful on 50MHz.

And, yes, the radio runs quite hot even in RX position as others have reported. Long RTTY TX makes it _really_ hot.

All in all, I don't need a better radio than this. I would definitely get one again today if I needed a new rig, but maybe not at the full price...
WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 06:32 Send this review to a friend
A Great Icom!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a K3 and the two radios sit side by side. The Pro2 hears as well as the K3 and when using the K3 I long for the band scope on my Pro2. I am not going to spend the ridiculous money for Elecraft's new scope. I previously owned a Pro3 and could never tell any difference between the 2 and 3 so I sold the 3 for almost double for what I paid for the 2! The Pro2 offers the most performance for the money and is a joy to use. Everything is laid out perfectly. If you can find one of these for around $1250, grab it. You won't be disappointed.
NM8D Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2010 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Its a Keeper  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive had my ProII for about a year now, stole it off ebay for $700.
It wouldnt transmit, did some research figured out that the autotuner had blown, so i bought it.
Sent it to the Icom repair station in SC, came back in 2 weeks with a $118 bill that included shipping.
Excellent Radio, i wouldnt sell it for anything less than a 7800
If you can find one of these , GET IT!!!!
The DSP is nice, the PBT is right on, and i turned mine up to 125 watts and mod it for 60 m.
I love it.