Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO2 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO2
ICOM IC-756PRO2 Reviews: 146 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2969.95 Street
Description: HF+6m Transceiver
More info: http://WWW.ICOMAMERICA.COM

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO2.

VK7HDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great radio, DSP is fantastic, TX audio is great and brilliant bang for buck! 5/5

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 17:38 Send this review to a friend
good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i traded my TS-2000X for a nice ProII. I never used the VHF/UHF part of the 2000 so It was not a big change for me. So far i find the ProII to be a good fit. I am not a contester and work a lot of digitial modes. The Icom works well for my type of operations.

SM3LGO Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2011 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good radio, the only issue is (as many others report here) that the RX can't handle a crowded band with many strong signals very well. In extreme situations it sounds a bit as if you have the RX in the "AM" mode position... It doesn't matter much for me since I seldom do contests and I am never on the RX side of a pile-up. My main source of benchmark is an old Kenwood TS-450 which (although not considered a top RX), IMO still does better with strong signals. (That's on the other hand the only advantage of the 450...)

The radio's handling, menus etc is very easy and logical. The spectrum scope is mostly useful on 50MHz.

And, yes, the radio runs quite hot even in RX position as others have reported. Long RTTY TX makes it _really_ hot.

All in all, I don't need a better radio than this. I would definitely get one again today if I needed a new rig, but maybe not at the full price...

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 06:32 Send this review to a friend
A Great Icom!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a K3 and the two radios sit side by side. The Pro2 hears as well as the K3 and when using the K3 I long for the band scope on my Pro2. I am not going to spend the ridiculous money for Elecraft's new scope. I previously owned a Pro3 and could never tell any difference between the 2 and 3 so I sold the 3 for almost double for what I paid for the 2! The Pro2 offers the most performance for the money and is a joy to use. Everything is laid out perfectly. If you can find one of these for around $1250, grab it. You won't be disappointed.

NM8D Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2010 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Its a Keeper  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive had my ProII for about a year now, stole it off ebay for $700.
It wouldnt transmit, did some research figured out that the autotuner had blown, so i bought it.
Sent it to the Icom repair station in SC, came back in 2 weeks with a $118 bill that included shipping.
Excellent Radio, i wouldnt sell it for anything less than a 7800
If you can find one of these , GET IT!!!!
The DSP is nice, the PBT is right on, and i turned mine up to 125 watts and mod it for 60 m.
I love it.

Michael
nm8d

KM4TV Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2009 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig For The Money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had all of the 756PRO series radios, and to me the PROII is the best "bang for the buck", unless you can pick up a 756PROIII for a steal. The PROII used is going for around $1200 to $1400, and it is what I call a best buy! I find the performance of the PROII very close to a 756PROIII. So far mine is working great and sounds real nice on receive, it's a keeper!!

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2009 01:38 Send this review to a friend
A Dependable,; Quality Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Icom Pro II for over 5 years now, trouble free. If you look at the specs, the Pro II is FAR superior to the PRO, and keeps up with the PRO III. Perhaps the best buy in the used market today. If you are even thinking about purchasing one, go for it. Its a keeper, and a best buy today on the used market.
I cant comment on Icom service, as I have never needed it, and dont know anyone with a PRO series that has.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2009 20:27 Send this review to a friend
The Finest Radio I have ever owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having borrowed a friend's Pro 2 and loving the display, filters, all the positive comments I received on the transmit audio I decided to buy used one for myself.
I have been a ham for 49 years and had lots of good radios but this used Pro II is the best yet.
The notch filter and pass band filters are used daily and they work great. I can dig just about any signal out of all the crazy band noise. The rig keys my AMP just fine. When people open up their rigs to transmit out of the ham bands (CB use) and increase the power they do so at their own risk and should not blame anyone, suck it up and get it repaired and move on.
I bought the Icom PS used and it works great with the rig.
Thanks Icom.

K8KAS Rating: 0/5 Sep 3, 2009 17:13 Send this review to a friend
What a Joke  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't see a problem with the review on the Pro II, I agree it was a pile of junk, I had 3 Pro II go bad in 8 months, the six meter problem was well known at Icom, I will never purchase an Icom after the Pro II and my experiences. Amp keying relays on the Pro series were another well know problem NEVER fixed by Icom. My best day was when the Icom was sold, and I felt bad about that. Just look at the E Ham reviews on this so call radio,or is that just a bunch of idiot's as well?

W0EAJ Rating: 3/5 Sep 3, 2009 14:47 Send this review to a friend
The Good, Bad, & Ugly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 756 PRO-II used (boy, was that an understatement). It has the dreaded 50mHz failure. ICOM seems not to acknowledge that it exists, but it IS a known problem and DOES occur. The problem is the poor quality switching diodes in RF and Tuner boards - when they become leaky, the 6m section goes into a TX-feedback loop. Mine, having been "turned up" by an idiot down in Houston, TX was @ 150w PEP and 55w AM (spec is 5-40w AM) - IN the feedback loop situation, this pulled 29a from the cheesy PS-125 p/s (which is NOT built by ICOM -it's built FOR them, and they would rather NOT work on them... now you know why they're "gifted" with a purchase), and took out the surge suppressor (the 10a fuse was saved!) HI HI HI

The fix is to replace all of the switching diodes in the TUNER and PA sections at ICOM, and return it to factory specs.

DO NOT PERFORM THE "INCREASED POWER MOD"- It CAN or WILL lead to early failure of the PA, Tuner and 6m sections.

Cheezy knobs, Gain controls are on the wrong side, high ambient temperature (add a fan),but works good otherwise [ should have been made with more ventilation ]

Oh, and why the h*** did ICOM provide a means to put your callsign on the screen, then leave out the "communications zero"... it comes out an ordinary "O"... amazing. (then again, this forum doesn't accept one, either! ha ha ha)

To ICOM's credit however, they're first-rate on the phone and Email responses. They actually seem to CARE that you exist and want to help you out - pretty astounding, that.

73 - W0EAJ