Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | SteppIR Fluidmotion 6-20mtr Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for SteppIR Fluidmotion 6-20mtr Yagi
SteppIR Fluidmotion 6-20mtr Yagi Reviews: 113 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1099
Description: Remotely ajustable 6-20 mtr continuosly...available as Dipole-2 elements or 3 elements Yagi.Copper tape length inside fiberglass tubing controlled by stepper motors. 1500W rated!
More info: http://www.steppir.com

You can write your own review of the SteppIR Fluidmotion 6-20mtr Yagi.

K3AJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Update After 2 Years - Still   Time owned: more than 12 months
My original review from 2 years ago (see below) was focused on the ordering, assembly, and installation process. At the time, I stated that "If this thing keeps working long-term the way it is working now, I will be one happy camper." Well, 2 years on, this antenna has been completely trouble free. I have had it down once (I decided to remove the six meter additional element and install a 5-element M2 yagi a couple of feet above the SteppIR). Everything was still in good shape, so I left it alone. My concern about the exposure of the control wiring at the surge protector installed at the tower base has proven to be unfounded so far. I can't say that the SteppIR didn't work well on 6M, but since using the 5-el M2, I notice that it has a much sharper pattern than the SteppIR on 6M, perhaps indicating more gain for pretty much the same boom length. On HF, this antenna continues to play very well. I recently got around to ordering the amplifier relay lock out and RS-232 boards for the SDA-100. I have the antenna automated using the PST Rotator software (see my review of PST Rotator - highly recommended) and it works very well with both logging/control programs that I use (N1MM and DXLab). My only nit-pick is that the relay lock out card was kind of expensive for what was on it (a DIP relay and maybe a half-dozen surface mount passive components). I really think SteppIR could have integrated this functionality in the SDA-100 to begin with at very little cost. During the past year, I have also had the experience of helping a friend of mine rehab and install a used 3-el SteppIR (this one with the 40M trombone). He received lots of helpful advice and good service from the folks at SteppIR ordering some materials to do the rehab. SteppIR offered him a very fair deal on trading in his old-style controller to upgrade to the SDA-100. My friend painted the fiberglass tubes (they had some UV damage, but not too bad) and we cut away the old tape and installed the heat shrink tubing. He did not take my advice to pin the boom to mast clamps (see my original review) and so we had the pleasure of taking his antenna down again after the first wind storm (he installed DX Engineering clamps the second time around). His antenna also went up without incident and is working great.

OT1A Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 02:03 Send this review to a friend
outstanding... even after 8 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
8 years later, I never thought (as many hams think) that the antenna would resist weather and sun attacks without any problem.
I'm now in the middle of the ARRL dx contest SOHP 15m. I can compete with all european stations.

This is THE antenna if you want :
- achievements on the 5 upper bands (I never played on 50Mhz). The antenna will provide me WAS,WAZ and DXCC on 10m/15m/20m and dxcc on 17/12.
- simply 1:1 swr all the time. You save money on the tx tuner option
- a lightweight antenna were you simple retract all elements into the boxes.
- for the hams who have a tilt-tower and who don't like working at a height, it is simple to intall the antenna with feet on the ground. (see pictures on my blog)

To be honest : I do a yearly maintenance and I think it's needed.

On my blog
you can see pictures of the rubber parts and how I do the necessary protection on it.

I also clean the fiber elements with water (bird shit can interact with the fiber) and retape all elements. This cost me one hour a year.

Anyway a big 5/5 for the antenna !

73s
Ken
OT1A

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 10:04 Send this review to a friend
SteppIR 2 El w. 30/40 driven element  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Performance exceeded my expectations breaking thru QRM Packs for Sri Lanka, Viet Nam, India, (8 new countries in first 4 weeks). Assembly was straight-forward. 30/40 meter driven element also works on 60 meters with external tuner and freq. set at 7.0mhz. Ordered with heavy duty boom/mast kit and wind truss, auto-tracking with transceiver is really convenient! Antenna is upgradable to three elements for better F/B.
This is a winner!

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2013 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service - update to my review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to revise my review on the SteppIR three element to relate some information about the antenna without the 40/30 trombone.

I recently replaced a damaged driven element EHU and moved the antenna to a different tower where I can fix it more readily when it breaks again. Inside the broked EHU copper tape ended up jammed inside behind the spindle. One side of the tape showed several areas where it was bent. The other side the tape was in flawless condition. Both sides were fully extended with the tape illustrating that the tape was most likely jammed.

Adam and the team at SteppIR were very helpful and cooperative in providing me without charge under my warranty the replacement EHU in advance of me sending the broken unit. I also had assistance from several members of the SteppIR reflector.

I had the antenna back up on day 2. Removing it from the triex tower (my larger tower) was a little challenging. It now resides on a house bracketed tower where I can replace and repair everything from my roof.

I ran SWR scans using K3 EZ program and the antenna is working better than ever. I am hoping for nothing to go wrong for the next several years. FIrst contact was QRP 5W to Washington state with great signal report.

Keith
AK6ZZ

KE4D Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 14:45 Send this review to a friend
superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my 2 element yagi up this week. This antenna is only at 30 feet due to limitations here on the old cavalry fort where I live. However, it seems to be working just fine. I worked east coast, west coast, Canadian border and a JA0 yesterday on 17 and 20m phone. I also have a BigIR vertical. I have tried interconnecting the two controllers to no avail but its not a big deal at this point. The yagi will be my primary antenna unless I am working 80m. Six weeks from order to delivery and while the assembly was not intuitive, once I read the directions twice, it went very well. It took most of the day to assemble this yagi and one of my neighbors helped the last couple of hours. I ordered the truss kit and the 30/40 dipole as part of this antenna. WHile I expected problems loading the 40 meter DVR at this low altitude, it works just fine with an SWR of about 1.2-1. Great antenna and I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as my BigIR vertical.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Effective, Efficient Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a somewhat used 3 element for $900 shipped from AZ, a very fair price. I sanded and repainted the elements that were sun-faded and replaced any parts that needed updating. With the help of guys from my radio club, it went on the roof mounted on a 4.5 foot Glen Martin tower bolted through the roof with threaded rod and cross beams under the roof joists. This antenna replaced a Cushcraft MA5B which worked well, but I wanted a little more directive signal. Well.. what a surprise! Signals on the IC-7600 are FAR above previous levels (yes, the same day) and on all bands I can hear countries I never heard before. This has proven to be an antenna that certainly exceeds expectations. When I ordered control cable and parts, the shipping was fast and accurate, and Jim at Tech Support certainly knows his products. This was added to a BigIR vertical, and I've sold all my antenna tuners and more than half paid for the antenna from that alone! Very satisfied... de KK8ZZ

K9YC Rating: 1/5 Dec 24, 2011 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, LOUSY support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 3-el with 6M element new and installed it in July 2009. There's a 350 ft run from the shack to the tower, so I'm using the SDA100 controller with 33V power supply. I'm VERY pleased with the RF performance of the antenna, but the PSU for the controller is a badly built switcher that puts out really bad noise on the HF bands, especially 12M.

As some of you know, I've become an authority on RFI and have published considerable research on the causes and cures of RFI, including the use of ferrite chokes to kill it. I had to use a dozen ferrite chokes to get the noise, which started out at 10dB over S9 down to S2 (my ambient on a good day). I had to use three chokes on both AC and DC cables from the PSU, two more on the control cable, and two more on the rotor cable, and each time I added a choke the noise went down some more.

SteppIR sent me a replacement supply which was no better, and refused to go beyond that. I have since replaced their PSU with a homebrew linear regulated 33V supply that I bought from N6RZ's estate, and have no noise from the controller itself.

There is no excuse for SteppIR refusing to fix this problem -- a switching power supply that puts out RF trash has no place in a ham shack, and this one is quite bad.

My negative rating is for SteppIR's refusal to fix their RFI issue. The antenna itself gets a 5.

K7IM Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Still working after TEN years  Time owned: more than 12 months
As of this month December 2011 SteppIR 3 element Yagi S/N 1 is still working perfectly after ten years of service without any changes or modifications. I guess that answers the question about longevity. (The picture in the upper left at the beginning of these reviews are of that SteppIR Yagi S/N 1.)

ZS2DL Rating: 2/5 Aug 24, 2011 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Short term Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 3 element with 30/40 element up for 4 years now, on air performance has been excellent. Due to a recent failure I took it down and cleaned it up. The EST's were badly damaged from the South African sun. The 30/40m element continues to fail due to a design fault on the Steppir designers part. See 30/40 kit review for details.
Owners who bought prior to 2011 can expect failure, due to "Friction".
Its a brilliant antenna but only if you have a lot of money and can afford to replace the antenna at least every 4 years.
After sales service is a problem as you don't get fast enough responses from the factory via e-mail and they seldom answer their phone. In this regard OM Jim their technical advisor is a ray of light in a pretty dark tunnel.

I have been dreaming of a DB18 for some time, but after the failure of this unit all it has done is convinced me to buy an Ultrabeam.

I was promised a million band changes mine did not even come close.

Donovan
ZS2DL

VK4QO Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 23:12 Send this review to a friend
great antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 4 el. steppir 6 to 40m, it is 3 years old and the gain is very good , I mostly use 200w and stations tell me I am the loudest on the band.And support from steppir is very good, even sending parts free of cost to me.The 180 function is the best feature.

RON VK4QO