Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Maha MH-C888 Help

Reviews Summary for Maha MH-C888
Maha MH-C888 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Universal smart charger
More info: http://www.mahaenergy.com

You can write your own review of the Maha MH-C888.

NT9M Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2008 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Should be called "battery burner"  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing has burned up two batteries: a MAHA NiMH and a Kenwood PB39 ni-cad. Both batteries were so hot you could barely hold them. My emails to Maha went unanswered, so I'm through with them and would never recommend them to anyone. Doesn't even make a good doorstop.

KD5VHF Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2004 08:39 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use it on 5 different HT's, Camcorder and my Digital camera batteries with no problems. I haven't had a heat problem when in cycle mode like others have mentioned but will now keep an eye on it just in case. Still using the single supplied blank universal cup that now has so many holes drilled in it because of all the different batteries that it is starting to look like peg board. :-)

K0DAR Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2003 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Be careful  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit is a design screw up. It will smoke ur test bench, especially in discharge mode. Here is the quick fix:
Open the case. Get some air in there; the xfmr is running to hot and the discharge resistor will/is burning the circuit board. However, when the unit is working it does a great job. I am going to do some major mods to this gadget to improve long range operation.

David in Denver
k0dar
dfmorse@qwest.net

W7HIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2003 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the MH-C888 to charge a Motorola HT-1000 for my business and an Icom IC-W32A and IC-24AT for my hobby. The unit has performed better than expected. It has brought batteries back from the dead... including the W32A battery that was "lost" under my car seat for about 2 years. Good value, but making a custom charger cup can be a bit of a challenge because the instructions leave a bit to be desired.

W4KPA Rating: 1/5 Jul 4, 2002 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Don't leave unattended  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The people at Maha are very nice and helpful, but they've got a product here that needs help. My charger has been replaced twice under warranty. The first two smoked the first time I tried to use the conditioning cycle. The service tech at Maha pulled a third one out of stock and ran it through five conditioning cycles before he sent it to me. Supposedly it's ok, but I haven't tried it. It works fine on normal rapid charge. That's all I really need anyway. I run the battery packs pretty well down before I recharge them.

I appreciate the response from the folks at Maha. But there's a design or QC problem in this unit. A battery charger that goes up in smoke is potentially dangerous.

WA2DGD Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2002 12:41 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received the Maha MH-C888 yesterday and it works as advertised. My major gripe is: they make it very clear that in order to use all the features of this charger (the recycling feature)you should use the "Radio Terminals", and not the regular "charging" terminals because they are usually diode protected and not allow the discharge cycle to occur. So I went ahead and ordered the pre-made cup for my radio. Well, to my surprise, its designed to contact the "Charging Terminals" ! I assumed (my mistake) they would make the cup for the "Radio Terminals". I configured the included cup to charge through the "Radio Terminals" and so far, it works as advertised. I have no problems with the positioning clips, but its pretty obvious that once the battery is set up and charging, DON'T TOUCH IT ! I must agree that the gauge of the power cord is total overkill and it really should have a power switch, something I will probably add myself.

WB5UVP Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2001 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been most impressed with the performance of this charger. I modified it to take either of my 2mtr handhelds by simply using both of the supplied contact point pairs in parallel. (Maha might not be too happy to learn of this, however.)

The unit keeps all types of NiCads cycled and charged. I use the external connection feature to cycle and charge a wide variety of battery packs -- including those for my Radio Control aircraft. The automated three cycle and recharge feature is excellent, as is the diode detection.

I have yet to purchase a second unit, and plug them directly together, but this could be a good feature for those who need to maintain many hand held radios.

My one major gripe is the gauge of the power supply cord. It is SOOOO stiff and bulky it is a pain in the rear. This is not a heavy current charger -- thus the supply cable need not be suited to welding!

Overall: good value and ease of use.

KG0WX Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2001 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Works......but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This charger seems to be no better than the other products Maha offers. I have 2 batteries I
charge with it, a Kenwood PB-39 and a Maha PB-39. About 10% of the time I drop in a drained
pack the charger does what it's supposed to do, namely start a charge cycle. The rest of the
time it just sits there unless I reset it (by unplugging it). This problem got so annoying that I
installed a power switch. The condition feature dosen't work AT ALL. I push the condition button
and the unit beeps but does nothing else. When I reset it via my toggle switch and THEN insert
a drained battery, it does charge it up to full capacity so at least that works. The sliders don't
stay put either - I'm thinking about glueing them in position. I'm fortunate enough that the $60
cost of the unit was of no concern but if I was counting pennies I think I'd be furious with the
shortcomings of this product for the cost.

I would not have bought this product except for my need to charge a stand alone battery while
using my HT. The OEM charger from Kenwood requires to have the radio attached and turned
off. Not an option for me as my HT (a TH-D7A(G)) is always on, either doing APRS, SSTV,
Sky command or whatever. For that kind of use, this charger is just what the dr ordered.

E-mail me at kg0wx@yahoo.com for details about the power switch mod if you need it.

73's de Ken KG0WX