Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | gs4 screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for gs4 screwdriver antenna
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350~$550
Description: i have the best screwdriver antenna made it iis a 4in. coil 14cage wire @8tpi the coil is 10 in. long and it is shortern on the inside so the antenna does not get any longer as you change bands from 10 to 80 meter. you can see pic @ www.gs-mfg.com
More info: http://www.gs-mfg.com

You can write your own review of the gs4 screwdriver antenna.

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2014 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Still going Strong 5 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna from Gary in 2009 as per my earlier review. Since installation on the old beater Metro it has performed flawlessly every day. It even survived ( the deer did not) a 45 mph impact at the antenna base with a deer. Luckliy the steel mount took most of the hit!
A good investment if you are serious about hf mobile!

KC2MIB Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 10:23 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PERFORMING ANTENNA  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've waited for more than 6mths to write this review because I wanted to be absolutely sure this antenna is of the standard in quality build and performance as the GS-3. It sure is; I operate high power most of the time and this antenna antenna handles the power on all bands 10m - 80m with absolutely no issues.
It is a 4" diameter designed antenna that is light weight and uses 12ga wire @ 8 turns per inch.
The VSWR is solid as a rock both stationary and at highway speed, this is an area where most screwdriver antennas fail to 'shine'.
These antennas are custom built for your needs so you get exactly what your application requires. Gary is very knowledgeable about the theory on screwdriver antennas and mobile application and he is very accessible to opinions and ideas.
This is the antenna for me and my mobile.

s/f
KC2MIB

K6TEX Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2009 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for nearly 5 years now, and over 700,000 miles on an 18-wheeler. Never a problem running 10-160m with the same antenna. I get great reports when I'm trucking and enjoy the ability to work any band I want without having to stop the truck and change anything.

I've beat it up, run in Canada in the Winter, and run the Desert in the Summer. NO problems ever. I wish that everybody's antennas were built this well.

See you on the air. 73. K6TEX

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2008 18:20 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced the old bb3 with the gs-4 this spring. I use it with a cap hat and a seven foot whip on the front of a Chevrolet Metro(tiny Susuki gas saver)I can work 160 thru 20 meters with the long whip & cap hat. Use a 3 foot whip for higher bands. Workmanship is very good and performance is even better. I tend to rag chew while driving and get very good reports. I have used the ham sticks, hustlers, etc with ok results. The old BB-3 was good but not in the same league. I have a hi-q 5\160 on my Buick and a heads up in the driveway shoot out there was no difference. The image plane on the Metro is half the size of the Buick so this surprised me.
If there is a drawback with this antenna it is the fact that it cannot be used with an automatic controller in its present configuration. You use the sight glass to rough position it, then fine tune with swr or fs meter. This works ok for me as the antenna is mounted on the front and the Yauesu ft-857d combined with the Better RF Tune Control makes the easier than it sounds.

VE4DS Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2006 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Dxing the World from A Peterbilt 18 wheeler  Time owned: more than 12 months
I operate a GS4 Screwdriver antenna on my mobile ham shack.It's performance is fantastic.I have tried just about everything on the truck, way too many to list.I also use a 3 ft.whip with a High -Sierra capacitance hat to lower my overall height.The High Sierra hat has 6- 1 ft. whips on it.mounted on top of the Gs4.Should be the equivalent of a 9 ft whip!I was sold on the idea of using this antenna when the majority of the big signals on 14.302.5 were using gs4's.My friend Va3NSC Dave has 2 Gs antennas on his 18 wheeler a Gs3/4.The physical height never changes when I change bands so I don't worry about taking the paint off of viaducts in Chicago anymore!Great product and if you check out the inventors website www.GS-MFG.Com you will notice that he is a perfectionist at everything he builds.73 de Darrell Ve4DS "Diesel Smoke"

K6TEX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2004 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Master Machinist  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I run an 18 wheeler, and after my "Predator" from N9JMX kept having problems with the vibration of my truck. (kept losing fingerstock, losing SWR, etc...) I asked the truckers on 14.3025 what they were running that never broke, and was a good performer. Many opinions there, but nobody disputed the quality of the GS, and I don't think that anybody has even heard of one being broke.

I called Gary, and asked if he could build me one with larger wire and he did. The results were astounding. We did side by side tests between this antenna and the Predator, and this one beat it hands down. The Predator is a great radiator and has a great reputation, and Bob is a friend, but as Ham Radio is my hobby on the road, I must have an antenna that doesn't fail me. This is the toughest antenna I ever saw, and I will be competing with it at the antenna shootout in June of 04 against everybody elses antennas. I think it will win.

If you run mobile, and demand performance AND durability, I don't think this antenna has any competition.

WB4HG Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2001 14:41 Send this review to a friend
it is the best screwdriver antenna made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this is the best screwdriver antenna made 4in coil @8tpi of #14 wire the coil is 10in long and never changes lenght it is 10 to 80 meters. go take a look @ www.gs-mfg.com