Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SMA-24 HT antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SMA-24 HT antenna
Comet SMA-24   HT antenna Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: 17" flexible whip antenna for 2m/440.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet SMA-24 HT antenna.

VE7JMR Rating: 2/5 Jul 24, 2016 14:54 Send this review to a friend

442.5MHz - 2.63
445.0MHz - 2.47
447.5MHz - 2.26
450.0MHz - 2.14

I was hoping this Comet SMA-24 would have better VHF performance than the stock antenna on my Kenwood TH-D72, but unfortunately it's much worse. UHF is a different story, where the stock antenna performs very poorly, the Comet redeems itself somewhat, especially above 440MHz. Not a great set of measurements however you look at it.

N4ZN Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2016 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Not buying the Kool-Aid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the antenna for $21 from an amateur radio store. It's either the real deal, or an excellent knock off. However, I didn't see a marked improvement over anything, except a Yaesu duck. Compared to a Wouxon KG-UV3D, and a Baofeng BF-A58, with stock antennas, I may be seeing a smidgen of an improvement on 146 MHz, and a decline of improvement on 440 Mhz. Hardly worth the money spent, at least against the Chinese antennas.... which isn't saying much for the Comet. However..... it's a known fact that the Wouxon antenna is actually pretty good, and a lot of hams are purchasing it seperate, for their HTs of Japanese make. On the other hand, it must be that Baofeng is stepping up their game on the supplied antennas. The yeasu ht tested, imo, was junk on its own. I tested two of them, and returned them both in short order.... Paperweights at best.

KJ6WNS Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2014 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Works great, too fragile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna lives up to its description in terms of transmitting and receiving. In a previous review, I said exactly that. However, let's face it. HTs get banged around no matter how careful we are. My Comet antenna is now permanently bent at the base because my radio fell off the arm of my easy chair. And somewhere along the line, the little cap came off the tip. It still works, but come on. If you're going to charge the better part of 30 bucks for something, it better be more durable.

VA3LIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Read a lot and then Got it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's definitely better than the stock antenna, at $ 30 you can't really go wrong that much.

I have a yaesu FT 60R and I did start to hit repeaters I wasn't able to with the Yaesu stock antenna.

I did read some reviews saying that it is better on the 70 CM than on the 2 Meter, I am leaning towards this statement....

Overall a great antenna for $ 30 you will definitely notice the difference, to what a degree will be dependent on a lot of factors, but what I can say with certainty is that improvement will be there no matter what.

I will recommend it to friends.

W5PFG Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Better than Stock Duck  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a perfect upgrade to your stock rubber duck. It is a significant improvement over the supplied dummy loads that came with most of the HT's in my collection. My SMA24 has held up through many public service events, outdoor trips, even satellite contacts in a pinch. At $20 current retail price, it borders on being a bit low in value. You might be able to build/buy more gain antennas cheaper but this one suits the bill as one that can stay attached to your HT while you are pedestrian mobile. Watch out and be sure not to poke yourself or a neighbor in the eye.

VU3HAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Read a lot, then bought it, worth every dollar  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Yaesu FT 60R and as is the norm, stock antenna wasn't enough to reach all the repeaters in the area (receive and transmit).

I did operate the radio with the stock antenna for about 2 weeks (daily), so that I could completely judge the range capability of the radio with the stock antenna.

I did observe a marked difference in both the receive and transmit range of the radio, using the Comet SMA24 antenna. (I don't have instruments to prove with numbers, but just my ear to judge it). I did read that, this antenna is more useful on the 70 cm band than the 2m, but I observed in my tests that it was performing better than the stock antenna on both 2m and 70 cm.
I do want to try the diamond sh77 antenna as well, but the ones with SMA connector are just not available any more.
Overall I would definitely recommend this antenna to fellow Hams

F4GFT Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2014 13:32 Send this review to a friend
too fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of these for my FT-60. It worked great for about 18 months, and then broke at the top coil section. I must admit that I used this antenna on my bike, where the mechanical stress due to whipping was certainly above average. But I would suppose that an antenna for an HT would be conceived with this kind of application in mind. I got myself a Smiley telescope antenna, with a flexible coil section more likely to stand the test of time. So far, it looks good.

KE2KB Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Not 17" as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Comet SMA24 to replace the MFJ-1715S, which is also a decent antenna, for use on my Vertex VX-150.
The description for the Comet said the length was 17", compared to the 14" for the MFJ. I thought that getting a slightly longer whip might improve signal for both transmit and receive due to its being a tad closer to a true 1/4 wave.

But when I received the Comet SMA24, I was dismayed to find that it measures only 16" from base to tip. Why was it described in the AES catalog as 17"?

Some preliminary testing with the Comet SMA24 vs the MFJ-1715S has resulted in the Comet having such a slight advantage over the MFJ that it was not worth my money to get the Comet thinking it might be an improvement over the MFJ, however, it is certainly an improvement over a standard "duckie" type antenna.

I won't consider this purchase a loss though, because I believe every Ham needs more than one antenna for every HT he owns. It's too easy to damage these extremely light whips.
The Comet appears (at least for now) to have a tighter seal between the whip and the housing, so it should be better in wet weather. I'll see how it holds up over the years compared to the MFJ.

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2012 06:18 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added this antenna to an HT on the 'off chance' that it would be some improvement over the supplied antenna. It was an improvement. The supplied antenna (rubber duck) isn't terrible, but this thing is better. I have no means of measuring how much better it is other than what my ears tell me and what others have told me after listening to it. There is definitely a difference.
This antenna is something like twice the original antenna's length so expecting an improvement isn't unreasonable at all. And since it is longer, expecting the same 'convenience', 'handiness' of the shorter 'duck' antenna is not exactly reasonable. I have to pay more attention to how I handle the HT, that thing will 'poke'/'thump'/'aggravate' things if I'm not careful. If you tend to 'play' with the thing, bend, spindle, whatever, it will be shaped differently when you're finished. So don't do that, you know? Also added a 'rat's tail' to it, did improve things again. How much? Some, how am I supposed to measure that sort of thingy?
So, all in all, I figure it's a good investment.
- Paul

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Jul 17, 2012 17:04 Send this review to a friend
POOR Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the SMA-24J for use on my New Baofeng UV-5R.I was shocked after testing it against the small antenna that came on the HT.The small antenna works MUCH better than the Comet.I am VERY disappointed after paying $22.95 & shipping for the antenna.A HUGE waste of money in my opinion.My FIRST & LAST Comet antenna & a lesson learned!Comet should throw all of the SMA-24J antennas in the trash & start over. {:>(