Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SMA-24 HT antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SMA-24 HT antenna
Comet SMA-24   HT antenna Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: 17" flexible whip antenna for 2m/440.

You can write your own review of the Comet SMA-24 HT antenna.

N3ATS Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2012 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Great on VHF!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am running a Yaesu VX-6 handheld radio. I bought the Comet SMA24 to replace the factory rubber duck antenna.

In order to see if this antenna was an improvement over the factory antenna, I performed a very simple test.

From inside my house, I dialed up the NOAA weather radio frequencies, and compared S-Meter readings between both antennas. The S-Meter on the VX-6 is divided into 11 segments. The following is a list of those frequencies and the S-Meter reading from both the stock antenna, and the SMA24. Like I said this is a simple, and rudimentary test. Your mileage may vary...

162.400, 0

162.475, 0
162.500, 9
162.525, 0
162.550, 11

I will be comparing antennas in the UHF band next.

KD0NGX Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2012 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the SMA24 when doing public service events and been very happy with it. I have two Yaesu hand-helds and the SMA24 gets the signal out clear, even when I've been in some places where I didn't know if it would work as well or not (in low spots, among lots of trees, et cetera). I've gotten good reports from net control when using this antenna, and I primarily work on 2 meters when doing the public service work. I would agree with people that it is not as secure at the base as it could be... I am always very careful when I stand up or sit down to not get it bent at the base. Because of that I have two of them in my kit, so that if one breaks I have a spare.
WA7KPK Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2012 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna with a minor structural flaw  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of these and liked them both. They get out well and get me onto the repeaters I want to use.

This antenna, however, has a structural flaw. Like I say I've had two of them, and both developed a permanent bend in the antenna soon after I got them right at the point where the whip enters the housing for the SMA connector. This is probably due to the way I carry the HT, but however it happens, it's a bit irritating. It's also why I've had two of them. Both antennas eventually snapped at that point. I suspect I'll eventually get a third; I just wish there was a way to keep the antenna from bending so badly. (Maybe Comet could make a more flexible whip cover for the lower 2 or 3 inches of the whip proper, at a cost of a couple of extra dollars for the antenna. Just a thought.)
K7TXO Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2011 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Very good and so-so  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I were rating this antenna for it's UHF qualities, then I give it a solid 5. This is a comparison to the factory duck antenna included with the KENWOOD TH-D72 HT. But the VHF ability of this antenna is no better than the same factory duck. I have tried it simplex and standard repeater. And linked to my TS-2k via Wireless Remote and Sky Command. It is not bad. There is no audible or visual (s meter) difference between it and the factory duck. Based on the Rating scale that has 3 = Ok, then on VHF mode it is a 3. Combined with the 5 I heartily give it for UHF mode, than means the overall rating comes out to a 4. That is still very good but if your looking for gain improvement over the factory duck on VHF, this is not the antenna to do that. Since I do a fair amount of UHF work, I do use this antenna which I paid $19.95 from via HRO.
KC2VWR Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 07:27 Send this review to a friend
My favorite HT antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After losing my first Comet SMA-24 HT antenna and going back to the duck that came with my FT 60 I've recently replaced it ( after someone at work took a shine to it and nicked it and with snow season coming I'll be happy to have pedestrian repeater access back on 2M & 70cms
RADI0HEAD Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2009 23:29 Send this review to a friend
Duck Killer  Time owned: more than 12 months
My favorite full sized duck. It beats the pants off my Diamond SRH77CA !!! Highly recommended
KE5JPS Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2009 14:35 Send this review to a friend
A Very Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the BNC verison for my Icom V-8. It definately has an improvement over it's stock antenna. I later purchased a Yaesu VX-7R. I love this set up. See it is 17 inches long and can get in the way, but I have a chest radio harness and with the radio in the pouch and the antenna tucked in the antenna hold down loops it stays high and able to receive much better that on the belt clip. The speaker mic right by the radio and not stretched up from the belt area. The antenna performs very well and I am able hit repeaters that the stock antenna on my VX-7R cannot. The stock antenna is not bad either, but it also leaves me fearing that the SMA connector will break. The SMA to BNC adapter offers more of a stable base where it attaches to the radio and the BNC makes it so much better than unscrewing it everytime. Now just a simple twist. I love this antenna and it meets all my needs.
K4ARF Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2009 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Definite improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the SMA version for my VX-7R. I definitely notice an improvement on 2m/440 both receive and transmit. I can hit repeaters with this that I normally cant with the rubber duck antenna.

It works best in the 2m/440 bands as advertised. The rubber duck antenna does perform a little better outside those bands, such as when listening to police/rescue. Since I rarely go outside 2m/440, I keep it on almost permanently.

It seems pretty durable, and from the other reviews, I expected it to be so flimsy it would droop, but its not. I like it because you can tuck it in your pocket easier and it will bend and keep its shape just fine. Its only about 4 inches longer then the rubber duck.

I would absolutely recommend it, and i'm glad I made the purchase. I think the $20 was worth it.
N8EKT Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2009 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Decent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the BNC version after finding myself on vacation in Tennesee with only the stock duck for my Standard HT.
Picked it up at TEN-TEC in Sevierville for $22
It seemed to work fairly well compared to the stock duck so it served the purpose.
After returning home, I was able to compare it with my 8.5 inch Maldol AS-20 dual bander.
I found that 2 meter and 70cm performance was only slightly better than the much smaller AS-20.
Overall, for it's cumbersome 17 inch length, the Comet 24 didn't impress me much.
K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Performs great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great. Super gain over the stock VX2R antenna. No problems with a year of use.

It is probably a little overpriced for what it is, but so are all Comet/Diamond products.