Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Mizuho MX-7S Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho MX-7S
Mizuho MX-7S Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $350 (depends on exchange rate)
Description: 40 meter SSB/CW handheld transceiver
More info: http://www.waters-and-stanton.co.uk/cgi-shopping/acatalog/WSPLC_COM_QRP___MIZUHO_78.html

You can write your own review of the Mizuho MX-7S.

HB9OBZ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 07:04 Send this review to a friend
LEGENDARY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'M HB9DTA AND I AM A PROUD OWNER OF THIS JEWEL AS WELL A HIS BROTHER MX-21S. THIS LITTLE CUTE TRANSCEIVER IS REALLY FANTASTIC TO USE ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN EITHER LSB OR CW. I MADE QUITE INTERESTING CW CONTACTS WITH ITS AN-7 WHIP ANTENNA AND A GOOD COUNTERPOISE CLIPPED TO THE MALE ANTENNA BNC. CONSIDERING THE POOR ANTENNA AND LESS THAN 2W OUTPUT EVEN AT MY QTH WITH DIPOLE OR HALF SIZE G5RV. DON'T EXPECT DX ON 40M BUT WITH THE 10, 15 AND 20M VERSIONS WITH GOOD BAND OPENINGS ALL IS POSSIBLE. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE IN GOOD SHAPE, DON'T EXITATE TO BE PROUD OWNERS OF A GOOD PIECE OF HISTORY !

IW3FZQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2007 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Very funny but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it on eBay some weeks ago, I have lot of satisfaction with this transceiver. Very hot receiver, about 2 Watts RF power, wonderful audio, very sensitive microphone. The noise blanker is not necessary respect to the other MX models (for example on 6 and 2 MT). With external dipole it is very simple make QSOs with european HAMs (SSB mode) but with its whip antenna is very hard to obtain some QSOs. Just to try AN40 telescoping antenna (with 10 meter long counterpoise), I made few QSOs with italian stations (350/400 KM far off) on SSB mode with difficulty! In my opinion, the only bad point of MX-7S handheld: it is too much sensitivity; during the day and afternoon it works great but during the evening and the night this radio is subject to overload from 41 mt broadcasters and built-in attenuator don't resolve the problem. However it is born for portable activity and for this purpose I use it!
73 de Enrico, IW3FZQ

KH7L Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2002 01:31 Send this review to a friend
HF with a HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very simple and fun rig to use. I use the telescoping antenna. The only problem is trailing the 33' of wire behind you as you are walking. I often take this to a park near my home. During the day 40 meters is open 10~200 miles. I have made many QSOs on SSB but didn't try CW yet. Too many stations on sideband. When I sit at a park bench and throw the counterpoise out into the grass, this is really fun to operate while under the shade of the trees.

With NiMH batteries and the low current draw, this radio will last me a good 4 hours.

Same size as an old 2 meter HT.

KU4QD Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2002 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Fun little portable rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
M0CUQ did a great job of reviewing this rig. The range crystals I have are for 7.0-7.025 and 7.075-7.1, so I've only used it on CW so far, though I will certainly try it with digital modes shortly. I didn't find the RX filter that terribly wide--it certainly scores ahead of my Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 in that regard, and is certainly narrower than an FT-817 minus the CW filter. A sidetone and semi-QSK are available if you add the optional CW-2S. Of course, that adds bulk to the unit since you now have a second box sitting alongside the handheld.

The receiver is very sensitive and the audio is quite pleasant to listen to. The rig is somewhat subject to overload from the shortwave broadcasters above 7.1, and the attenuator is certainly important at night. Operation is about as simple as you can get, which is probably why the power consumption is so blissfully low--70mA on receive, 620mA on transmit. This rig, in my experience, will run for a very long time on one set of batteries, and is very lightweight indeed. I recommend 1600mAH NiMH batteries, and I keep a set of alkalines in reserve. It runs on 7 AA rechargables or 6 AA alkalines (plus a dummy battery). The rig is well built and rugged.

I agree that the optional AN-7 loaded telescopic whip antenna is nearly useless, and a counterpoise is a must for it to work at all. This sort of antenna is OK on 15M or above, but on 40M I've never had much luck at all with them. Connect the little rig to a dipole up in the trees and it really shines.

Mizuho does make an optional 20W amplifier (the PL-7S) which is grossly overpriced. There is an optional mounting bracket for the combo of the rig, amp, and CW-2S, which together make a very neat little portable or mobile station. If and when I find the amp at a reasonable price on the used market I will certainly use it in that configuration.

Overall, for me, this rig is a keeper. It's great to take along anywhere, and it's small size, light weight, and low battery consumption make it the perfect travel companion for the 40M CW op. It does have it's limitations (like only covering 50kHz of the band), so I can't rate it a 5, but I do like it a lot.

M0CUQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2001 01:53 Send this review to a friend
A very portable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My MX-7s has been a constant travelling companion ever since the day I bought it. The rig runs on AA batteries (I use NiMH) and draws a low RX current so they tend to last a long time. The MX-7S (and all this series) use a VXO and there is room for two crystals each covering 25KHz on the 40m version. On my version the frequency is about 3 kHz out from what is printed on the dial.

I have the portable whip antenna for the rig although this has never performed well, even with a counterpoise. I much prefer using a long wire and ZM-2 ATU. As the rig does not have a biult in SWR meter adjusting the whip antenna for resonance is not trivial.

Good points:
An all in one station with good battery life. Has ssb if you want it but 2W SSB on 40m can be very difficult. Ideal rig to keep in a briefcase just in case. Receiver performance is very good indeed and it makes a good RX in its own right.
This rig is beautifully made and has a solid feel about it. It can even be used "walkie talkie" style but trailing a 33 foot counterpoise is not ideal! It even has small morse button key on the front panel which can be used in a really minimal set up but an external key would be recomended.

Bad points:

No sidetone! You can get used to this but I do like the reassurance of a tone.

No SWR reading (but power meter is a kind of indication)

Wide RX filter makes life very difficult in crowded band like 40m. I know you can do it just with ears and this is definitely a skill you will aquire with this rig.

No QSK, the ptt must be closed manually, even in cw mode! there is a parallel contact in the key socket so I have mounted a TX/RX switch on the key - old style.

New it is quite expensive for what you get when compared with others (cub, or FT817)- I bought mine second hand for a much more realistic price. But build quality is good.

-------------------
On balance I would probably buy this rig again, but probably the 20m version as 40m is very crowded for a wide RX. But this is a very stable pocketable rig that is beautifully made and has ssb for local work (and dx if you really try). If I have to take just one rig anywhere it is this one.