Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Mizuho MX-14S Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho MX-14S
Mizuho MX-14S Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350 (varies with exchange rate)
Description: 20m SSB/CW handheld transceiver
More info: http://www.waters-and-stanton.co.uk/cgi-shopping/acatalog/WSPLC_COM_QRP___MIZUHO_78.html

You can write your own review of the Mizuho MX-14S.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 14:14 Send this review to a friend
challenging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are going to get only one Mizuho HT I'd recommend the 10 or 15M model. You'll get some DX for sure. As you go down in freq the telescoping base loaded whip antenna becomes less optimal, higher radiation resistance, it just isnt long enough. All the Mizuhos are good rigs, but if you get an 80 40 or 20M model you wont be working a lot of QSOs except in exceptional conditions. These rigs hold their value VERY well, so you wont lose $ if you sell later. I've had my 14S for a couple of weeks and have only worked one station on 20M for several hours of listenintg and calling. Your sig will be weak so it will go unnoticed by many. Still, I dream of a great DX contact on 20M and stubbornly keep trying. If you hook it up to a "real" antenna your odds improve a lot, but I like the challenge of using the OE whip. Some call it masochism.

Mark

IW3FZQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2007 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Great hand-held!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MX14-S is identical to other Mizuho MX model. I have four of these radios: 2/6/15 and 20 meter band. I prefer MX21-S instead of MX14-S because with poor antenna conditions it is easy make DX on 15 meter than 20 mt. I believe this behaviour because only 1,4 meter of whip is good solution for 21 MHz but not same way on 14 MHz. In this band, I have made lots of contacts around Europe, all in SSB mode but nothing beyond my continent. For real DX, it is better to use a dipole instead of his original whip.
But his performances are: great hand-held!!!!
Very high sensitivity, good selectivity, usable noise blanker and fantastic audio in RX and TX too. Only sidetone is missing but it isn't a problem after some time of CW transmission. It is ideal for trekking or if you have some hours of time during week-end. Satisfactions will arrive soon!!!!

73 de Enrico, IW3FZQ.

KH7L Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2002 09:47 Send this review to a friend
QRP Dxing fun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Mizuho MX-14S is very hard to find now a days. The production was halted in 1994? I have only one of these. I used the telescoping antenna with a trailer counterpoise. This seems to work on SSB as long as I point the counterpoise towards the station's location. I find that the best time to operate QRP on 20 meters is during Greyline....evenings.

You are restricted to the 100 khz. with 2 xtals so pick your frequencies carefully.

Another interesting thing that a few MX-14S hams have done, was to use it on PSK.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2002 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Unique 20m handheld is a pleasure  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've reviewed several other Mizuho MX series handhelds, and this rig is pretty much the same as an MX-21S (15m) or MX-18S (17m). To summarize, it's a two watt, spartan, brick handheld for 20 meter SSB/CW. As such, it's unique, and probably a must-have for the QRP backpacking or hiking enthusuast.

The MX-14S is VXO controlled and covers two 50Khz band segments. I purchased mine used, but new ones are still available from Waters & Stanton in the UK, as are all the accessories and band range crystals. Most items can also be imported directly from Japan. Typical US used market price seems to be around $150, but expect to pay more if the various and sundry options are with the rig.

As with the other rigs in this series, SSB operation is a pleasure but CW operation is a royal pain without the little optional sidecar, model CW-2S. The CW-2S provides the sidetone and semi-QSK operation. Without that unit you have to hold in the PTT key and send code at the same time. Fortunately, I have a CW-2S, and with that it's an OK CW rig

Receiver performance is quite good as I have come to expect from Mizuho. Battery consumption is really low as the rig only draws 70mA on receive, which is hugely important when you're trying to keep the weight of what you are carrying down. One set of AA batteries usually suffices for a day hike.

I find it a bit more difficult to be successful with a 2W HT on 20m than I do on 15m or 17m. The band is more crowded and there seem to be more killowatt stations to step on the QRPer. For SSB I definitely recommend an Extra class license (or your national equivalent) and crystals for 14.150-14.200. Mine came with crystals for 14.050-14.100, 14.200-14.250, and 14.250-14.300. Only two can be fitted at a time, BTW. I really think I want 14.000-14.050 and 14.150-14.200. Oh well. Keep in mind the extra cost if buying one with the "wrong" crystals for you. Also, only get genuine Mizuho crystals. Domestic ones never seem to be on frequency or have the necessary "stretch" to cover the full 50kHz.

Despite the obvious limitations, this rig is a pleasure on the air. With the loaded telescopic whip and a counterpoise you can get out, and with a dipole thrown up in the trees you will be really surprised at what a handheld can do. While I personally prefer 15 and 17 meters, the MX-14S is still a rig I highly recommend.