Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Drake MN-4 Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Drake MN-4 Antenna Tuner
Drake MN-4 Antenna Tuner Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $99
Description: 10-80 Meter Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the Drake MN-4 Antenna Tuner.

KK6IYM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2016 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Very smooth  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The meter is quite sensitive. Mine was slightly spotted so I rubbed it with my fingers and the needle went wild. It would not return to zero. The plastic was greatly affected by static electricity. I applied 303 Aerospace Protectant on a soft rag and carefully wiped down the meter face. Not only did it revitalize the face of the meter, but completely cured the electrostatic problem. I can now touch the meter with no effect and the needle returned to zero.

Norm
KK6IYM

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Typical Drake (FANTASTIC!)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just to add my $ .02 worth......
I have a Drake collection and had been looking for a tuner for some time. Not out of necessity, just because I wanted one. My TR-4Cws will load into any of my antennas easily. For HF, I use either a 'fan' dipole for 40-10M or a rebuilt Mosley CL-33 at 95' fed with 5/8" hardline.
I bought the MN-4 on eBay, since they are there all the time. I would have prefered a MN-2000 but being retired, they were toooo expensive.
Anyway, I bought the MN-4 and it WAS advertised as having a cracked meter face. I THOUGHT that would be an easy fix. WRONG!
I just received a NOS Drake meter, which I had to buy, just to get the cover.
The tuner functions beautifully, smooth and accurate. I especially like the "alt" position to go to my Cantenna when I want to play with the radio.
Buy one. Ya can't go wrong. Just make sure the meter is in good shape!! ha ha

ron
N4UE

2M0GOV Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2009 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Better than modern rubbish  Time owned: months
Owned mine for about 2 years. Got it from a friend - GM4XMD - Thanks Bill... This Tuner works great and tunes very smoothly! Used it on a G5RV, Homebrew 80m Doublet fed with 300ohm and tuned through to 10m... also used on an 88ft doublet fed with heavy duty 75ohm twin feed... If you see one, buy it... They work, and work well, unlike some of the mighty fine junk that's out there these days!!

W2KLS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Best 200w tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the MN-4 for about 2 months now, and it is by far the best 200w tuner I have ever used. It's built like a BSH and very easy to use. Too bad they don't make them like this anymore. I plan on keeping this one for quite some time.

KH6JRM Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2008 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the Drake MN-4 antenna tuner for over
20 years. The tuner is robust, built like a tank,
and typical of the Drake quality many of us have
come to love. The MN-4 does not cover 160 meters.
If you can find this tuner at a reasonable price,
buy it.

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 19:36 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TUNER !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is built like a tank . Still works like it is new. I only use it with my T-4XB/R-4B.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2008 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing fancy and I don't run a kilowatt. For a manual tuner this is the best. No QC issues like some of the stuff coming out of many factories these days.

EA2FL Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2007 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Works OK. Nice look but BIG!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's nice looking and tuning is smooth feeling. Tuning is quite easy even if you have to keep detuning to higher swr with one capacitor to see if goes better after tuning the other. Never know which way to go. And do not forget to switch to SWR and try to get lowest forward power instead!

Very good as low pass filter, since it is a pi network with a band switched to ground first capacitor, a switched coil and first variable cap, plus a 2nd variable to output. A pi-C network, like Mizuho tuners as seen in mizuhoradio.com.
Meter is huge and reads well from 2w to 300w, even if tuner works fine with 500w, and probably more once tuned. It would be nice to add a switch to higher power readings. There is plenty of room for more mods inside.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2007 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Match For The TR-4C  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought my MN-4 on the internet, and find it to be an excellent match to my Drake TR-4C transceiver. Besides looking great it works very well and is of a better quality then some of the others. Now I have a complete Drake station, and can see why Drake equipment was considered top line in its day.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these tuners back in the late 1980s. Tuned about anything you hooked to it, with a nice power/SWR meter also. Instead of your regular inductor switch it just had a switch marked for different bands, but that seemed to work ok. Kind of a big tuner for a 300 watt model, but looks nice sitting next to other drake gear.