Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51 Help

Reviews Summary for Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51
Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1,335.00
Description: 51', 3-section, medium-duty, self-supporting, crank-up tower. Hot-dip galvanized steel construction. Requires concrete anchor base. For info contact: Karl K. Tashjian, Civil Engineering 2183 S. Highland Ave Sanger, Ca 93657 (559) 495-0307 Fax (559) 495-0557 Mobile (559) 284-9707 e-mail Tashjian@msn.com
More info: http://www.tashtowers.com/

You can write your own review of the Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51.

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2013 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Good tower  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my triex wt51 up for about eight months and so far no problems at all. It is strong and held my SteppIR three element without issue. I recently decided to put up a Mosley super 33 on it and will install this upcoming month.

My only issue with it is the small cage that cannot seem to hold a beefier rotator than a Yaesu G450. I read that you can get a G800 in the cage but with some great challenge and I found the Tashijan tower personnel to be not very helpful in giving advice. They actually told me that a G800 will not fit this tower.

KF5EYC Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2011 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Just got one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just receieved a used MW-50 crank up. There is some rust and the crank and cable need to be replaced. The SK never extended it. Need to know what the concret base measurements need to be. The base has three 1/2 inch bolt holes and I plan on straping the base down acress the non pivot side as well as to the side of the house. The tower looks to be in really good shape since it is about 45 yrs old. Am very happy with it. Sure wish I had the manual.

W5XJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Just received awaiting rehab & install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It looks great so far laying down but i have not put it up yet. An SK's generous family passed this tower on to me complete with a CDE Hygain (pre MFJ) Ham IV rotor so i am rehabbing it and looking forward to putting it up and mounting a KLM yagi on it and perhaps a 40M dipole as well. I have to get a base made for it as well.

Will report more after it goes up.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2008 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Great simple piece of equipment IMHO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these found laying embedded in weeds in a Western New York vineyard. Paid $300 for it. Re-cabled it with stainless cable found at Dayton hamfest and built an electric winch for it from a converted 40:1 speed reducer as used by farmers on grain elevators. Paid $20 bucks for the reducer at a yardsale. At this point I got $320 bucks in it! Purchased a used KT-34a from a friend for $125.00 and I'm in business. Great tower, it handled the Buffalo, NY winters with no grief. I'm looking for another now that I have moved and am getting back to hamming. I'm rating it a 5 as mine was very old when I got it and still served with with no problems.

W6IML Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2007 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Srtong and inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
After my little three section crank up guyed tower folded over, it was time to invest in a REAL tower. I found a Ham who installed and serviced tower systems here in Southern California, [KJ6Y] and bought a used TRI-EX W-51. It had been re-cabled and the cranking mechanism checked, so it was in very good shape. After digging a three foot by three foot by five foot hole and dropping the rebar tower base into the hole, I made sure the base was level and filled the hole with concrete. I had a few friends over to get the tower mounted and up. Luckily, the tower was level, so I didn't have to do any modifications to the base.
I bought a Yaesu G-800DXA rotator system because it was the strongest rotator that would fit into the tower rotor baseplate. I wanted to use a tail-twister rotator, but it is to wide and won't fit inside the top section of the W-51.
After installing a steppIR 3 element yagi and a 12 element 2 meter beam, up goes the tower! Everything works FB, so no thought AT THIS TIME was given to the winds we have here that get up to 90MPH. When we started getting the Santa Ana winds here, I lowered the tower 20 feet. No problem. Back up the tower goes. This goes on for 5 or 6 times with no damage at all. Then we get a really strong wind last November that blew down tree branches and wood fences in several yards in my 'hood. I completly forgot about cranking down the tower! Well after several hours of this big blow, I remember I need to lower the tower! I go out to crank it down and before I do, I look up. I expected to see the tower bent over and my $1400.00 steppIR in pieces, but NOOOOOO!!! The tower was in fine shape, and the steppIR beam was as well!
I am a happy camper!
To be honest, I don't know if this W-51 could have handled anything larger than my 3 element steppIR without damage. I DO know that I will lower the tower the next time a big wind is in the forcast...I won't tempt fate!

K8MN Rating: 2/5 Dec 6, 2006 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Lost two in three years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not going to malign this entire line of towers, nor am I going to argue with those who are delighted with their purchase.

I bought a new W-51 with raising fixture, thrust bearing and base six years ago upon returning to the U.S. from Tanzania. The tower held a Bencher Skyhawk, 2m and 70cm boomers and a 6m beam. It was up for three years when an early December windstorm folded it over just above the top of the largest section. Winds never exceeded 60 mph.

I bought another W-51 to replace it. This one held a Cushcraft X-9 along with M2 2m and 70cm antennas. Almost exactly three years after the first failure, this one folded over in the same place as the first one. My loading of the tower did not exceed 13 square feet and the winds did not exceed 60 mph.

By contrast, my friend N8NN has a Universal aluminum tower which is freestanding at 60 feet. He has the small Force 12 tribander stacked over a three element Hy-Gain 40m yagi. His water pipe mast bent about ten degrees in the same storm, but his tower is still standing.

I'd never buy another W-51 for anything larger than a three element tribander. It is apparent that the tower does not meet its specifications.

Dave Heil K8MN

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2006 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of us live in areas where keeping the peace in the neighborhood is very important. A crank-up tower was the solution that I was looking for. The W-51 Tower rests at the 21' level and extends to 51' plus mast/antenna. At the 21' nested height position, I have no rotating interference with anything on the tower. Although not hidden, it hides VERY well in the back yard. Fully extended, it is twice the height of my 2-story house. The tower is 100% usable at any position.

The base of the tower was dug with a BobCat using a 36" diameter drilling auger. These are the tools of "tree planters" and landscapers. I had them drill a 36" diameter hole what went down a full 6 feet. The cost was $100 bucks and he was done in 15 minutes! The concrete base was hung, framed with 6 lumber, leveled, and then 2 yards of concrete were poured. I also made provisions for 3" diameter PVC pipe (with large radius bends) to run all cables from the tower to/thru my basement wall. Everything is underground at least 24". Do not run ground rods thru the concrete base! Divert lightning away form the base which is holding everything up!

Two of the tower base legs are aligned to form a "hinge". This will determine where the tower can be laid-over and is your fall line. Keep this in mind when you install the base. I also dug a 12" diameter hole 36" deep with a concrete rebar loop to act as an anchor point (dead man) for a non-weight bearing backstay should I need a temporary pull point for raising/lowering the tower via raising fixture. It is along the fence (hidden) and at least 20+ feet away. I built an A-frame raising fixture which bolts the lowest mounting bolt holes on the tower base. EZ up and EZ down. No need to climb.

I highly recommend the W-51 tower. High quality and little maintenance. Mine has been in service since the spring of 1993. Take your time. Visit other tower owners. Ask questions. Look at their techniques. 73, Al

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2004 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Impressive, Durable, and Sturdy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just over a month ago, a ground crew comprised of several fellow hams and I removed the W-51 from the QTH of a SK. The lower inch had to be jack hammered clear from the surrounding concrete driveway top coat laid down several years earlier. A 59 pound Hy-Gain TH5 MKII antenna and approx. 20 pound TailTwister rotator also had to be removed from their mast mounted positions above the top of the tower. It proved to be quite a job.

After getting the tower to my QTH, I discovered the tower to be in excellent structural condition, notwithstanding it's age of several decades. This older version has the cables, pulleys, and winch on the side rather than the front face of the tower, and has just one pair of bolt holes on each of the bottom mounting ears. It also lacks the tilt over ears about 8' up the tower.

I chose to replace the winch, cables and pulley assemblies along with all new stainless fastener hardware. During the process the entire tower mechanical condition was thoroughly examined and was found to be in remarkable condition free of rust and corrosion in spite of its age.

With a new base, winch and stainless fasteners provided by Karl Tashjian at Tashjian Towers the tower is once again in use. The cables and pulleys I obtained and fabricated via other sources.

This is one durable tower and very adept at holding it's own if you do not require or cannot use the tilt-over feature. There are a great number of these towers available on the used market and they are an exceptional value.

The tower's load rating appears to be quite conservative as the original antenna and rotor mounting scheme mentioned above were in a stong wind prone area yet showed no signs of stress.

With a minor degree of customizing to the rotor plate and mast pass through tube, it is now fitted with a Yaesu GX-800DXA rotor inside the upper section and a chromolly mast passing through a heavy duty thrust bearing. With an additional stand-off arm it will soon be hosting my Alpha-Delta DX-CC Multi-Band Dipole in inverted-v fashion along with my soon to be installed Lightning Bolt 5 Band 2 Element Quad.

Although the tower is light enough at just over 300 lbs to be walked up by four or five persons, it is far more convenient if a raising structure is used.

I also found Rustoleum's Cold Galvanizing Spray to be useful to touch up and seal places where the rotor plate and thrust bearing holes had to be drilled or where scratches penetrated through the tower's original hot dipped galvanizing.

An exceptional tower for the price.

N4JRZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2004 15:06 Send this review to a friend
I highly recommend this company!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I live in So. Fl. where we have building requirements for wind gusts of 140 m.p.h. @ 3 second gusts. I talked to a number of tower companies trying to get some calculations for one of their towers that would meet this as well as other requirements that my city required. None could do it, or would do it except Tashjian Towers. I spoke to Karl Tashjian the owner who was extremely professional and helpful. He supplied me with the calcs and Engineering prints that I needed to obtain a permit in my city. Karl has plenty of bussiness and did not have to go out of his way to get this information for me. I ordered a model WT-51, crank-up, tilt-over tower along with some accessories. The quality and workmanship of the tower is great, and Karl was always good at answering my questions. I read a lot of posts on Tower e-mail reflectors and I have not heard of one other company that gives this kind of service. If you have any questions about these towers call Karl Tasjian and ask him, his website is www.TashTowers.com , or drop me an e-mail via my e-mail listed on QRZ.com and I will try to answer any questions in referance to my experiences with Tashjian Towers. There is also a picture of my tower on my page on QRZ.com when you look up my call N4JRZ. I highly recommend this company.

KE6US Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2004 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
My W-51 has been up exactly 20 years with a TH7DX on a 10' mast, and anchored in 2 yards of concrete. I have never had a moments problem with it. It looks as good now as the day I put it up.

Here in the Inland Empire we frequently get Santa Ana Winds with gust of 45-50 mph. At least a couple of times a year I see gusts of 60+ because of a small mtn pass aimed at my house!

I usually crank it all the way down when I expect these winds, but a couple of times I have been surprised in the middle of the night. Once with 60 mph gusts I went out to crank it down, but the force of the wind bound everything up and it would not crank down. The elements on the beam looked like demented palm fronds in a hurricane whipping around and bending downwind. Scared the crap out of me, but I couldn't crank it down. Next morning I expected to scour the neighborhood looking for my antenna. Everything survived perfectly.

I also climb it all the time when it is cranked down (looks too much like a foot guillotine otherwise). I use a safety belt and feel perfectly secure on it.

Terrific product. I'll post about it in another 20 years.