Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4DA Ham Radio Repair Help

Reviews Summary for N4DA Ham Radio Repair
N4DA Ham Radio Repair Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $60/hr
Description: A repair shop owned and operated by Milton Lord,N4DA,who repairs a wide variety of radios both old and new
More info: http://www.n4da.com

You can write your own review of the N4DA Ham Radio Repair.

K4DRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2010 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Service Fair Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Milton has fixed several radios and amplifiers for me and has always been very professional. And trust me I have carried some basket cases to him! He always has treated me fair and most of all fixed my equipment at a fair price. We are very lucky to have his kind of service here in the southeastern US. Not sure what the guy in previous ad meant about his attitide. But he always has went way out of his way to make sure I was happy with the work he performed.

Dennis K4NV

K4FLH Rating: 0/5 Mar 25, 2010 14:09 Send this review to a friend
The Radio Doctor is a QUACK!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unfortunately,I have had to deal with Milton Lord and his bad attitude because "my tech", as I will refer to the repair person I prefer to use and highly recommend, sometimes is out on the high seas as a radio operator in the Merchant Marines.

I have taken 2 radios and a linear of mine and one of my friends down to Mr Lord for repairs. My friend's had to go back for a re-do.
And twice I had to take mine back for re-dos and the linear is still not right. That's 4 out of 4 that weren't done right the first time. NOT A GOOD AVERAGE. FYI that's over 150 miles round trip each time from here.That's a lot of time and money wasted because of lousy work.

In the case of my linear, which is now being re-repaired. His "repair " caused more problems than it originally had.
He defeated the HV safety switch by cutting the connection from the switch to ground. He didn't insulate the cut ends or leave a sufficient gap between the two cut pieces so they wouldn't make contact. They made contact and arched over to ground when I was transmitting causing further damage to the amp.The arch over is plainly visible. It may have caused a tube to blow because of a surge when the aching occurred. I'm still waiting for "my tech" to give me the final word on all of this. Because of his shabby work I've not been able to use the amp since I got it back from Mr Lord except for the little time(less than 30 minutes) I used it before the arching happened.

73 de Bill/K4FLH
Non Illegitimis Carborundum

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2010 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Best in the business  Time owned: more than 12 months
Milton is an expert tech and a great guy.

Folks have to understand that any time he spends away from repairing radios is money out of his pocket. However, he takes his valuable time to talk with the customer and is always very helpful. Back when I was young and broke,he helped me several times and didn't even charge me. I am a cheap guy and want everything at the best price. However, professional services take time and require professional compensation.

Milton is a straight shooter and a honest guy. Your ham radio repair dollar and your gear are best entrusted to him. This gentleman's services are a bargain at any price.

N4RSS Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2010 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Gave of his time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Milton took a call from me and helpfully walked me through how to open my SB-220 and clean the T/R relay and I appreciate it.

W4HX Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Repair of ten-tec II  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used N4DA (Ham Radio Repair) several different times for repairs on my radios and amps.He has always done excellent work and at a fair price.I would recommend him to everyone. I will use him again for sure

W4RLP Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great repair on my pro3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a major problem with my icom-pro3 I sent it to Milton the turn around was quick and the repair price very reasonable, It works as new, Great service.

W4JSM Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Repair of FT-1000 Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a problem with the RX antenna circuit on my FT_1000. It was repaired in a timely manner and the work was excellent and the charges were very reasonable. I would strongly recommend his repair services.

N2COP Rating: 2/5 Sep 20, 2009 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Needs to update website  Time owned: more than 12 months
Initial email correspondence went well, with Milton Lord saying at the time I inquired that he could turn around my rig in three days. It took over a month. My rig was shipped back to me the day before I was leaving for a trip on which I wanted to take my rig and which I had told Milton about. Not only did I not get my rig back in time, but I had to chase down FedEx Ground for three days to get it.

On his website, he says he takes PayPal. When it came time for me to pay, he asked for a check, which added time I didn't anticipate to get my rig back. If he doesn't offer PayPal, he should remove the reference from his website.

I had sent my Icom 706 MK-IIG in for an inspection and alignment (yes I know it's solid state but it still can be tweaked) because I live next to salt water and the rig had been in my car for ten years. The only time I spoke with Milton he said he had made some minor adjustments to the rig, but it did not come back with any documentation as to what he had done. It looks like the case was never opened but I don't know that.

Overall I was disappointed with the experience.
Bill N2COP

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 13:53 Send this review to a friend
What a guy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm having the traditional problem with my Kenwood TS-430S and the weak solder joints on the RF board.

Milt flat out told me the time required to make the repair would outweigh the radio's value. I had figured that might be the case. However, I do have some construction and repair experience, so Milt was kind enough to take a few minutes to give me some pointers on how to repair the rig myself!

Now don't get the idea Milt is going to do this every time. This is just one of those incidents where all the work is labor, and he felt it was in my best interest to attempt to repair it myself instead of spending more than the radio is worth on a repair facility.

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2008 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Genuine and Honest  Time owned: more than 12 months
Milton did a great job bringing back from the dead my my trusty much loved TS430S I inadvertantly blew up installing an AM filter. The radio had been working fine before that happened except for the PA intermittant power out problem this radio has as it ages. Through his excellent video I had cured that problem. I should have stayed off Ebay because I managed to get an AM filter at a reasonable price. The 430 has muddy audio on AM, a real dissapointment for SWLing. Well you know the rest. Shorted something (several actually)and broke a diode. I'm sticking to Qrp kit building, troubleshooting is not one of my strengths. The radio works great now, and if I ever have to send anything in for repair, Milton gets my call. A real nice guy.