Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-872 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-872
MFJ-872 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $94.95
Description: 1.8 - 150 MHz Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter

You can write your own review of the MFJ-872.

SANBORN_EX_AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2006 16:27 Send this review to a friend
I Like It  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't talk to me about MFJ unless you want to hear a string of off-color expletives...except for this sweet little item. (Makes one wonder with whom they contracted to have this made FOR them...)
I'm privileged to be borrowing one from my friend Phil (W6LXT) and frankly, I hate to give it back.
With it's selectable PEP/AVG button, and a fairly large, soft-green lighted meter sporting a well controlled rapid-deployment needle, this is one fun and friendly meter that seems right at home on an Amateur's desk.(Though definitely out of place where a piece of professional test equipment is needed.)
I like it and I'm darn picky. I have a Douglass USN meter, several Swan, Drake, and Heathkit (dual) PEP meters and I believe I'll add a few of these '872s to the collection.
It may not be 100% spot-on accurate, but the last reviewer mentioned nothing about using a Bird meter for comparison, (which makes me wonder, -since most rigs have a natural tendency to output more on 80m than 10m) but what's the purpose for a meter if not to simply act as a point of reference, which this certainly does, and does nicely.
Because it's only a 200w max meter I'll be running it behind the 160w 2m ssb station, and if I can find a few more for friendly prices I may put one between my HF rig and the HF amp, and the same with the 6m station.

VE3TMT Rating: 2/5 May 29, 2006 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice to look at!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hmmm, never did see my first review for some reason. I have had this meter for a few weeks now and while I'll admit it does look very nice in the shack it's accuracy leaves something to be desired. While reading smack dead on on 20m, it errs by about 50W on the high side on 80m and about the same on the low side on 10m. I tested it with two separate transcievers and got the same results. SWR function is fine though. I don't really expect laboratory grade accuracy from MFJ but this is worse than most.

W9CSL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Meter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The first meter in a long time that have been completely satisfied having in my ham shack. I have had CN-801 & SX-100, sold them both, picked up the MFJ-872 at one of the hamfests, and have been real happy with this one.

I run low power from a Villa, normally 5 to 20 watts, find this meter scale fits my operation well.

Will admit,like one of the other reviews,had not normally wanted to look at the MFJ meters, however, find this one is really nice !

Think this is a real winner.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2004 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Not your typical MFJ wattmeter -- quite nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MFJ Grandmaster series of watt meters are made in Taiwan and sold under a number of different brand names. If you've ever seen an NCG watt meter in recent years they are identical to the MFJ Grandmaster series. While I have been critical of some of the meters and tuners that have come from MFJ (most of them, actually) these meters are actually quite nice. They are reasonably accurate -- OK, not like a Bird, but certainly as good as Daiwa or Diamond.

I really like how versatile this meter is. It covers HF, 6m, and 2m and allegedly can work as a peak reading meter. It has three scales: 200W, 20W, or 5W. The 5W scale is ideal for the QRPer. There are 100mW gradations between 0W and 1W, so I can actually measure my QRPp portable toys. It's not as good as an OHR WM-2 for that, but it's the next best thing. The MFJ doesn't require power to work (although 12V will light the meter), which is actually better than the OHR in portable environments.

This is probably the most versatile meter I've found. One of MFJ's better products.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2002 02:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been very satisfied with this wattmeter for over a year now. Functionality and fit and finish is very nice, and accuracy is there. Nice job MFJ!