Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio RIGblaster Plus Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGblaster Plus
West Mountain Radio RIGblaster Plus Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: A RIGblaster is the easiest way to properly connect your radio to your computer's sound card. Fully automatic operation; your mic. always works, your computer always works, no manual switching, no plugging or unplugging.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGblaster Plus.

KC9FSH Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2015 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these over the years, one was a really old model and one is a Rigblaster Plus, overall I have been very happy with both of them. I have used this on a IC-706MKIIG and a IC-756ProII, both radios I have had good luck with. I have even used this as the adapter to use a Icom SM20 microphone on my 706 but that took a bit of figuring out for the jumper settings but it worked great after I figured it out.

For the 756ProII, it was very simple, just use the jumper settings that are in the manual and you will be good to go.

Overall a great interface that gets rid of one issue that I had with a previous interface, the microphone being turned on when the radio is keyed on, the Rigblaster took care of that issue and I no longer need to worry about disconnecting the microphone before operating digital.

I highly recommend this interface to anyone who would like to get into digital.

ON4WIY Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2010 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice and easy !  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a joke hearing complains abt connecting the rigblaster to your radio and pc.
If you don't know what a comport is or line in and lineout or rs232, what are you doing with your complicated 10.000 dollar radio? with 100'S hidden menu's ???.
It does what it has to do,easy and running in 1/2 H .
No complains in 3 years,I use MMSTV, MIXW,WSJT,MULTIPSK and MTTY.
You do not need the sofware on cd from your rigblaster.
In my opinion it's good and simple,no regrets.

N7UF Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2010 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Works well with my TS-480HX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have a Rigblaster Pro. It has worked very well for the last 3 years with no problems. I wanted a smaller unit for my TS-480HX. I use the TS-480 for digital modes only, and the Rigblaster Plus is small enough to sit on top of the transceiver, which made installation a breeze. The install took about 10 minutes and I was up and running. My one complaint is the level pot is on the back of the unit, and it is small and hard to get at and adjust. A small screwdriver is needed as it is too small to get fingers on.(if the shaft of the pot was about a 1/4 longer it would have made a big difference) The Rigblaster Pro has the level pot on the front which makes adjustments a lot easier.

KF5BQJ Rating: 2/5 Feb 1, 2010 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Finally worked  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say I am preaty new at ham but I`m not new at working out software and hardware problems, from back to the days of the 486 computer.
The first step was to install the drivers from the supplied CD. They say to ignore the fact that the drivers are for windows vista, well my XP would not let me install them. So I should have put it back in the box and shipped it back right then. But no!!, I go to the websight and found the same drivers to download and followed their directions exactly, Of course another failed attempt. But I managed to get them installed another way.
It needs a on-off switch, since it keys my radio about 5 or 6 times every time my computer boots up.
If you have a RJ type plug on your mic, you have to plug it in to the back of the unit. I think it`s kinda akward.
After you get the thing to work with your computer then you must make it work with the diffrent software`s
Then after all that it works fine, Ha !!
So the main reason I give it a 2 is the exhausting setup.

N2QQF Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2009 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Rigblaster Plus for quite some time now and I just bought the Tigertronics Signalink USB and my goodness what a difference. The Signalink unity is far superior and much easier to integrate. The Signalink has a built in sound card eliminating the need to hook up all the additional wiring to your computer sound card. The Rigblaster costs $159.00 which is $60.00 more than the Signalink USB device which costs $95.00 out the door with the cabling and shipping from HRO.

The Rigblaster has a wall wart for power which the Signalink obtains without the use of a wall wart and through the computers USB plug. This eliminates any potential ground loops for Hi-Fi audio users and normal HF operation alike. The Rigblaster requires the use of the computers sound card which needs to be adjusted all the time for either normal computer speaker operation and operation through the use of Digital modes. The Signalink USB does not require this at all since it has a built in sound card with three separate controls for RX levels, TX levels and delay right in front of the unit for ease of use. I personally know quite a few people including myself that have had RFI issues with this unit as well as the more expensive west mountain devices. I have a background in communications and I can see this unit is not properly isolated from RFI and the wall wart adds a whole new issue. I cant speak on everyone else's installation but I know mine and this unit was the issue.

The Signalink USB device was properly shielded for RFI protection and work without any issues whatsoever. In my opinion the Rigblaster needs help when compared to the competition. You are paying more for a unit that requires more interface, more cabling, has much more complications in getting setup and quite frankly a sub par device when compared to the Signalink USB device. In my opinion, why is West Mountain charging so much for a unit that does less than their competitors? Why is their competitors cheaper and better made? I know where I will spend my money next time based on a few reasons including a previous customer support issue.

When I first started using digimodes I called Rigblaster in the past because I needed some help and I wanted to basically understand something the unit was doing and wanted to find out if this was normal. They basically tried making me feel stupid and really did not lend much assistance. I will tell you I work on far superior equipment than this device and I did not feel that was very professional to treat your customer this way. I still wrote a good review because I thought the product was OK but when compared to the Signalink device I now know a little better. I have not had to call tigertronics for customer support but from what I have heard from more than a few people they are very helpful and understand the meaning of customer service. Look at the reviews they all cant be wrong! Good luck with finding a device that suites your needs. I hope this review helped and if you need any help or assistance you can mail me As I would be glad to assist. 73, God Bless And have fun with Ham radio.

KA3BPN Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2008 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Device and Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these units for several years and has done well on all digital modes. I have used the interface for everything from CW to high speed meteor scatter and it continues to work flawlessly.

My only issue was a patch cord failure due to strain on the cord and received prompt help from West Mountain.

KC9FSH Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2008 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface With One Con  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my Rigblaster Plus! After you initially set it up for your radio you can just hook it up and forget about it. It's really nice having the 8 pin mic plug on the front so that you can hook up your microphone directly to the Rigblaster and run a cable from the Rigblaster to your rig, so no more swapping cables around.

It did take me a little while to come up with my own way of wiring up the jumpers inside the unit, but my situation was kind of a unique one. I decided to use my icom SM20 microphone and then made a small jumper cable to go from the back connector on the Rigblaster to my IC-706mkiig mic connector. If anyone is looking to do a similar set-up feel free to e-mail me using the address listed on QRZ.com, and I can tell you how I did it.

Overall I would recommend this interface to anyone. It is MUCH better than my original Donners Digital interface that I had. The only drawback is setting it up initially, but honestly any ham should be able to figure this out.

RFDANNY Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2008 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit does what it is supposed to do. I've had mine for several years, and have wired it for Yaesu and later an Icom radio. It has good build quality and does the job quite nicely with zero issues.

KE4SMY Rating: 1/5 Aug 20, 2008 06:05 Send this review to a friend
1/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Complicated setup and the scematic in the manual has mistakes so that makes it even harder to setup. You may have a radio that this device just drops into. But for the price of this device I would suggest you look around befor spending your money. I have a ICOM 706MKII and I can not get the sound card aduio through this device and into my radio. Never received a reply to my email to West Mountain Radio. And even the user groups couldn't provide any solution. I was able to use my mic through this device and I could receive CW, RTTY, and all the others. But could not send anything using my PC. So take this for what it's worth and shop around.

N2QQF Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good product with no issues. Easy to use but limited in some of their functions. I would like to have a bigger unit, not necessarily in size but rather in options. I like the Rig blaster Pro or maybe one of the signal-link units. I am certainly happy as I stated and combined with HRD DM-780 it makes it a wonderful product.