Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna
Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89 (street)
Description: Dual band (146 - 446 mhz) base station antenna. Fiberglass construction. Max power 200w. Length 5'11". Weight 2lbs 12 oz. SO-239 connector.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna.

AB4BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Compact yet very efficient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had read for the most part nothing but positive reviews of this antenna and being in somewhat close proximity to my neighbors, I wanted a low profile antenna with reasonable gain enough to hit repeaters in the immediate surrounding counties. To my surprise, even though I do have some elevation at my location and with only a 30' above ground installation at the mount, I have been able to hit repeaters over the entire western half of NC, down into SC and north into VA with no problem at all on 50 watts. Be aware that the rating on the antenna is specified at 200 watts PEP. Tech support just a week ago informed me that 100 watts maximum should NOT be exceeded for FM operation. I believe some of the other reviews mention this as well although the wattage told to me is different than what you may find below in another review. Mine came very well made with no manufacturing imperfections visible, SWR is 1:1 from 144-145.600 MHz and slowly rises to 1.7:1 at 148.000 Mhz. 70 cm, the SWR is 2.0:1 from 430-433.000 MHz and fluctuates throughout the rest of the band between 1:1 and 1.6:1. Mine is resonant on 145.600 and 445.000 MHz. Many factors affect this measurement so that's just my results. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a low-profile antenna that will get the job done.

KE5MZP Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Been good to me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was blessed with this antenna from WU5E. Thanks, Jim. It has performed great! At first it was at 16 feet. My friends noticed a difference immediately. When it was raised to 32 feet, I could hit a few more repeaters and had stronger signals on both, RX/TX. On 2 meters and 440, I never saw an SWR over 1.4:1. The Isopole I have can't compare.

N2XPM Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2009 06:19 Send this review to a friend
3 Years of Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
As of the past week, the Antenna has failed. I had been experiencing a lot of problems with my repeater where the output power would diminish and it was noticable. When the antenna was cold, the condition (Light operating) was not noticeable when using 30watts. When I applied 150watts continuously for a few minutes, the reflected power was 75watts with a VSWR of 5:1. I thought that by purchasing a single Fiberglass pole over multiple poles would alleviate my fear of Antenna failure. For me it has been 2 strikes, the Diamond that this antenna replaced and now this Antenna. Perhaps, 3 times will be a charm!

K7ETC Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Almost foolproof!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to assemble, easy to raise, SWR on 146.520 and 440.400 so low I thought the meter was not in line. Small enough my neighbors don't think it is a CB antenna. Stood up well to the worst Oregon winter in memory. Range increased about 25 miles at fifteen feet off the ground. I wish I had bought one sooner.

N4JRR Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2009 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Meets or exceeds manufacturer's claims.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an Arrow 146/440 GP for a while and never could get the swr below 2:1 so I gave the Comet GP 3 a try. The English instructions had a heavy Japanese accent but the antenna was very easy to assemble. The quality is very good and everything fit nicely. The base end of the antenna with the coax connector fits in an aluminum sleeve mount, which shields the connector from wx. There was a slight amount of play in the fit of the base into the sleeve, but a piece of duct tape about a third of the way around made a very snug fit. SWR was a completely flat 1:1 at 146 mHz and max 1.4 at band edges on 2M, and similar results on uhf. Performance for me is excellent and my initial response is completely satisfied.

AC8AZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Price!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Low swr both bands! I live within 50 miles of many repeaters and this antenna hits them all full quieting on low power. You will have money to spend on other equipment after buying this one!

K6KDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 08:21 Send this review to a friend
A great dual band antenna, I Will never sell it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After seeing neighbors lose TV antenna's due to the frequent high winds at my QTH, (60+ mph winds are common near the Cajon pass, Ca) I tried a copper J-pole, but didn't like the match, I researched and read the other reviews here on eHam.net and decided on the comet GP-3.

I can only echo the other reports that the assembly is quick and easy.

The results were better than I expected, I can get into repeaters as far away as Las vegas (200 miles) of course it helps that I live in the high desert (elev. 4500) and on a clear day I can see mountain tops approx. 60-80 miles away across the desert to the north and east.
When I first installed the GP-3 on a 30 ft pushup at the side of my house, using RG-8X a Icom IC-8000, I thought the SWR meter was broken, the match was so flat, but I always check the SWR at the high, middle and low end of what ever band I'm setting up for, and there was just enough deflection of the reflected pointer to indicate a 1.2:1 at 147.990, at 146.100, the pointer didn't even move, at 144.100 it moved just enough to know it was working.

I just bought a Yaesu FT-897 and now have 440 to play around with, the internal SWR meter of this radio indicates about the same results on 430-440 Mhz. I guess the next step is to try the GP-15 to access the 6m band, but I really don't want to take down the GP-3.

Final remark, If you have space or weather restrictions, I highly recommend this antenna

WN4P Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2007 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna replaced another "aged" 2/440 omni made by a great company, which shall go nameless. I just thought I was getting good coverage before. Now, there is no doubt. Can't say enough for how simple it was to put together and erect. I get into repeaters now that I couldn't before and it has outstanding receive. SWR readings for me have been great with zero adjustment. I highly recommend this antenna to all hams and especially to those who like or need "small."

VK3BEB Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Australians be aware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others have stated, this is a great dual band antenna...HOWEVER...

I purchased the antenna (with new premium feed line) new from a major supplier here in Ballarat and was told there was no tuning required. This is quite true if you operate in the ranges of 144 Mhz to 146 Mhz and 430 Mhz to 440 Mhz. When operating on these frequencies there are no issues with the antenna.

The particular antenna I bought appears to be tuned for the Japanese VHF band. This seems to be somewhat like the situation with the Diamond F-23 that was sold by Dick Smith some years ago (and corrected by the introduction of the F-23A). While the SWR is quite acceptable on the above mentioned UHF segment, it rises to 1.9:1 at 147.900Mhz. While this doesn't present problems for some radios, others may fold back their power when presented with this SWR.

The SWR drops to 1.7:1 at 147.000 Mhz , 1.5:1 at 146.500 Mhz, 1.3:1 at 146.000 Mhz and 1.15:1 at 145.500 Mhz. It is flat below 145.000 Mhz. These readings are made using a new Diamond SX-400 metre driven by an Icom 208H at 50 watts. The readings are affected by the power setting of the radio and drop when using lower power settings ie. at 5 watts output on 147.900 Mhz the SWR drops to 1.5:1. The SWR on the 430 to 440 portion of the Australian UHF band is near nil and flat for all power settings.

While I suppose this might be considered a bit nit picky on my part, I just present this info for the information to hams in this part of the world. It doesn't appear that the antenna is tunable nor am I sure this is even desirable, but it is something to be aware of. This antenna performs well and is possibly set up this way to accomodate the UHF band tuning. While the SWR chart in the attached parerwork clearly and accurately shows the frequency range of this antenna, there are no changes to the model number on the external packaging that would indicate any alternative tuning for this antenna.

N5MDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2007 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Works good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed 30ft up, swr is good 144 to 148mhz. 440 swr is also good. Easy to assemble, quality of parts are fine also. I'm running a Yaesu FT-7800, hits repeaters 30 miles away on 5 watts output.
I've had it up 1 yr, no issues. NICE. N5MDM